Re: [classicrv] 1978 Holiday Rambler - Econoline chassis

  • rduck44@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 17, 2013
      Howdy,,,I wondered about the awning pull as well when I found it in the camper.
      [24' class C Fleetwood Rally on a 1984 E350 frame] But a video on awnings answered that..
      But it comes in real handy for opening and closing the  cab over side sliders..and spanking naughty gals when needed.
      Its been one of the wettest/coolest spring ever,, here in Wisconsin . Not much fun camping , but sure beats moving snow.
      enjoy

      Doug

    • happytravelmaster
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 17, 2013
        Yes the engine charges the RV battery, but on these older Fords, there
        frequently is a hidden electrical solenoid that links the two batteries
        together when the ignition is on. Mine was mounted in front engine
        compartment opposite side from battery on the fender cover. Mine was
        defective (rusted in open position) and it took a lot of wire-tracing to
        discover the problem.

        There was also a push-button momentary "emergency-start" switch wired to the
        solenoid that force-linked the two batteries together in case the engine
        battery needed a little help on cold mornings.

        You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
        you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
        capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
        expensive.

        Jim Hamilton

      • JerryK
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 17, 2013
          It has been a wet spring here near Detroit too.
          I have a question, what is a "cab over side slider"?
          JerryK

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
            A cab over is the part that extends over the roof of the vehicle. a side slider usually indicates a single slide out on the side of the camper as opposed to a rear slide out.

            Bill

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
              But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.

              Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.

              The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <jameshammail@...> wrote:

              > You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
              > you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
              > capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
              > expensive.
              >
              > Jim Hamilton

            • John Sargent
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
                Many believe Trojan makes the best battery, I just replaced my one house battery with the largest battery that would fit in the space.

                If you are going to keep your coach think about replacing your charger/converter with a modern one that won't cook your batteries, most CC from the factory are pretty cheesy.

                John on the road
                89 Winn LeSharo
                Prior: 95 Winn Vectra, 79 Winn Brave

                Sent from my iPhone 4S, iOS 5
                Lets Do Video Chat or Face Time

                On Jun 18, 2013, at 4:26 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                > But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.
                >
                > Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.
                >
                > The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!
                >
                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <jameshammail@...> wrote:
                >
                > > You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
                > > you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
                > > capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
                > > expensive.
                > >
                > > Jim Hamilton

              • Bill Miller
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
                  I don't know what kind of batteries you have seen or where  in stores,but I have several rental boats and several trolling motors.I use DIE HARD batteries EXCLUSIVELY . I use deep cycle for the trolling motors and regular marine starting batteries for the rental boats. I have never seen a deep cycle labeled as a Marine Starting battery, and I have never seen a Marine Starting battery labeled as DEEP CYCLE.

                  mainiac bill

                  ________________________________
                  But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.

                  Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.

                  The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <jameshammail@...> wrote:

                  > You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
                  > you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
                  > capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
                  > expensive.
                  >
                  > Jim Hamilton

                • Wncol2004
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
                    When I overhauled my 12 volt system, or in my case, added it. I opted for two 6 volt golf cart batteries, AGM. So far, have worked just fine.

                    1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                    Sent from my iPad 2.

                    On Jun 18, 2013, at 3:26 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                    > But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.
                    >
                    > Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.
                    >
                    > The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!
                    >
                    > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <jameshammail@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
                    > > you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
                    > > capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
                    > > expensive.
                    > >
                    > > Jim Hamilton

                  • RogerD
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
                      Trojan batteries seem to be popular from seeing references on other RV forums, and they make a variety of types and sizes. A way you can sometimes tell if a battery is true deep cycle is it will have no CCA (cold cranking amps) rating in the specs. The Trojan site only lists distributors in my area, so you would have to call them to see where they could be bought retail.

                      Agree about the older charger/converters, especially with deep cycle batteries. They are crude and will actually damage a battery from poor charge control. Engine alternator charging is also too crude for deep cycle batteries. What most people ended up with these old charging systems is a battery system that worked, but later failed from premature battery degeneration. A modern charging system might extend the battery life 2X-3X. It is a cost-benefit issue. A modern charger/converter is not cheap, so that has to be balanced to how long you want to use this vehicle. Buying cheap batteries more often might be a better choice for many.

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, John Sargent <john.sargent76@...> wrote:

                      > Many believe Trojan makes the best battery, I just replaced my one house battery with the largest battery that would fit in the space.
                      >
                      > If you are going to keep your coach think about replacing your charger/converter with a modern one that won't cook your batteries, most CC from the factory are pretty cheesy.
                      >
                      > John on the road
                      > 89 Winn LeSharo
                      > Prior: 95 Winn Vectra, 79 Winn Brave
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone 4S, iOS 5
                      > Lets Do Video Chat or Face Time
                      >
                      > On Jun 18, 2013, at 4:26 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.
                      > >
                      > > Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.
                      > >
                      > > The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!
                      > >
                      > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <jameshammail@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
                      > > > you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
                      > > > capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
                      > > > expensive.
                      > > >
                      > > > Jim Hamilton
                    • ez zinger
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
                        Deep Cycle batteries should be judged by their 20 hr rating numbers + actual weight indicating amount of lead in quality manufacture.  I use heaviest L-16 batteries in a custom battery box.

                        Trojan batteries seem to be popular from seeing references on other RV forums, and they make a variety of types and sizes. A way you can sometimes tell if a battery is true deep cycle is it will have no CCA (cold cranking amps) rating in the specs. The Trojan site only lists distributors in my area, so you would have to call them to see where they could be bought retail.

                        Agree about the older charger/converters, especially with deep cycle batteries. They are crude and will actually damage a battery from poor charge control. Engine alternator charging is also too crude for deep cycle batteries. What most people ended up with these old charging systems is a battery system that worked, but later failed from premature battery degeneration. A modern charging system might extend the battery life 2X-3X. It is a cost-benefit issue. A modern charger/converter is not cheap, so that has to be balanced to how long you want to use this vehicle. Buying cheap batteries more often might be a better choice for many.

                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, John Sargent <john.sargent76@...> wrote:

                        > Many believe Trojan makes the best battery, I just replaced my one house battery with the largest battery that would fit in the space.
                        >
                        > If you are going to keep your coach think about replacing your charger/converter with a modern one that won't cook your batteries, most CC from the factory are pretty cheesy.
                        >
                        > John on the road
                        > 89 Winn LeSharo
                        > Prior: 95 Winn Vectra, 79 Winn Brave
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPhone 4S, iOS 5
                        > Lets Do Video Chat or Face Time
                        >
                        > On Jun 18, 2013, at 4:26 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.
                        > >
                        > > Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.
                        > >
                        > > The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!
                        > >
                        > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <jameshammail@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > You should replace the RV "house" battery with the best deep-cycle battery
                        > > > you can afford. If space permits, bigger battery is better for more
                        > > > capacity. Usually 3 sizes are available, and the largest is also the most
                        > > > expensive.
                        > > >
                        > > > Jim Hamilton

                      • John Sargent
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 18, 2013
                          I found a rebuilt converter/charger on the Internet, Intellipower, price was fair, and they have multiple charger levels, still have warranty, look for ones with "smart charger"

                          Search for rv converter charger, or try ppl motor homes in Texas, they have some,

                          Trojan says they have more Lead plates than others, last longer,

                          When it comes to batteries inexpensive is usually more expensive in the long run, especially if the coach is parked for a long time,

                          John in Plymouth
                          89 LeSharo, gas
                          Prior: 79 Brave bunkhouse, 95 Vectra

                          On Jun 18, 2013, at 7:06 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                          > Trojan batteries seem to be popular from seeing references on other RV forums, and they make a variety of types and sizes. A way you can sometimes tell if a battery is true deep cycle is it will have no CCA (cold cranking amps) rating in the specs. The Trojan site only lists distributors in my area, so you would have to call them to see where they could be bought retail.
                          >
                          > Agree about the older charger/converters, especially with deep cycle batteries. They are crude and will actually damage a battery from poor charge control. Engine alternator charging is also too crude for deep cycle batteries. What most people ended up with these old charging systems is a battery system that worked, but later failed from premature battery degeneration. A modern charging system might extend the battery life 2X-3X. It is a cost-benefit issue. A modern charger/converter is not cheap, so that has to be balanced to how long you want to use this vehicle. Buying cheap batteries more often might be a better choice for many.
                          >
                          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, John Sargent <john.sargent76@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Many believe Trojan makes the best battery, I just replaced my one house battery with the largest battery that would fit in the space.
                          > >
                          > > If you are going to keep your coach think about replacing your charger/converter with a modern one that won't cook your batteries, most CC from the factory are pretty cheesy.
                          > >
                          > > John on the road
                          > > 89 Winn LeSharo
                          > > Prior: 95 Winn Vectra, 79 Winn Brave
                          > >
                          > > Sent from my iPhone 4S, iOS 5
                          > > Lets Do Video Chat or Face Time
                          > >
                          > > On Jun 18, 2013, at 4:26 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > But what kind of battery to replace with? What is seen in most retail stores listed as "deep cycle" are a hybrid type marine/starting battery and not true deep cycle. These are often used in RV's...especially smaller ones. True deep cycle batteries are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than marine/starting. These are often of the 6V "golf cart" type, which are coupled in series to make 12V.
                          > > >
                          > > > Deep cycle have much more capacity to be discharged/charged (sometimes 10X) than marine/starting, but often get replaced because of the initial high cost. I have seen big deep cycle batteries as original equipment in large older motorhomes and trailers.
                          > > >
                          > > > The subject of batteries and charging is worth another thread!

                        • orioneer
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                            The awnings, now I've had a look at them, are badly frayed. The smaller
                            one over the passenger side of the coach just above the window is in the
                            best shape of the two small ones, just a frayed slit along the top....
                            might try using gorilla tape to temporary fix it enough to use. The big
                            one above it looks as though it's worn worse and I haven't figured out
                            how to get it down and out for a look.

                            Driver side one is throwaway clothing. Trying to decide whether to
                            forget it or try to rig a fix.

                            Thanks for the info. Jack Purcell

                            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Blair Jr." wrote:

                            > #2 is probably a rod with which to pull down your awning.
                            >
                            > Henry
                            >
                            > Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                            > 603 South Walton Street
                            > Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                            > (770) 998-4897, Cell (803) 427-6986 NEW!!!
                            > henryblairjr@...
                          • orioneer
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                              John and Roger: I'm 70 years old and hoping to spend the remainder of
                              my life in this MH if I can make it last longer than me. But I'm on an
                              SS pension as my sole source of income, so I'm limited in what I can do
                              and when I can do it. I don't do credit as a rule, though I borrowed
                              the money to buy this RV from a friend who's in better financial shape
                              than I am. [I bought a '83 Toyota New Horizon a year ago without
                              knowing what I should be looking for, turned out it had a wood frame for
                              the coach and it was barely avoiding collapse from internal rot. Every
                              time I went to town the roof leaks I'd recently repaired re-opened.]

                              Anyway, I live in this thing and will have to decide each month how much
                              has to go for fuel, how much to absolutely necessary repairs, and how
                              much for elective surgery.

                              At the moment the engine alternator's evidently working to charge the
                              starter battery, but the alternator gauge on the dash isn't functioning,
                              maybe isn't connected. I'm going to have to chase that down while I'm
                              resolving the battery for the coach issue.

                              I have an inverter I bought several years ago to run power tools
                              directly off a 12 volt battery and I'm thinking I might be able to
                              incorporate it into this process of upgrading the 1978.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                                Bill - Unless they've changed what they do, DIE HARD uses the same
                                plates and separaters in the cells as all the other medium-to-high
                                priced batteries. Probably the internal components are all manufactured
                                in the same factory in China or somewhere, sold to all the battery
                                manufacturing plants of all brands, same components.

                                All DIE HARD did to make the batteries hotter was lower the PH of the
                                acid, giving it further to go before it loses everything.

                                The only problem was the lower PH reduces the life of the plates more
                                quickly than happens with a higher PH. Lowering the PH without
                                thickening the plates equals plates eaten from zero-to-sixty a lot
                                sooner than a person might wish.

                                Just saying. Jack

                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller wrote:

                                > I don't know what kind of batteries you have seen or where in
                                stores,but I have several rental boats and several trolling motors.I use
                                DIE HARD batteries EXCLUSIVELY . I use deep cycle for the trolling
                                motors and regular marine starting batteries for the rental boats. I
                                have never seen a deep cycle labeled as a Marine Starting battery, and I
                                have never seen a Marine Starting battery labeled as DEEP CYCLE.

                                > mainiac bill

                              • Bill Miller
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                                  Actually Jack, you are partially correct.Die Hard batteries are made by Johnson Controls. The same people make 80% of all the batteries. They make batteries for Wal-Mart  right alongside of the Die Hard made for SEARS.

                                  mainiac bill

                                  ________________________________
                                  Bill - Unless they've changed what they do, DIE HARD uses the same
                                  plates and separaters in the cells as all the other medium-to-high
                                  priced batteries. Probably the internal components are all manufactured
                                  in the same factory in China or somewhere, sold to all the battery
                                  manufacturing plants of all brands, same components.

                                  All DIE HARD did to make the batteries hotter was lower the PH of the
                                  acid, giving it further to go before it loses everything.

                                  The only problem was the lower PH reduces the life of the plates more
                                  quickly than happens with a higher PH. Lowering the PH without
                                  thickening the plates equals plates eaten from zero-to-sixty a lot
                                  sooner than a person might wish.

                                  Just saying. Jack

                                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller wrote:

                                  > I don't know what kind of batteries you have seen or where in
                                  stores,but I have several rental boats and several trolling motors.I use
                                  DIE HARD batteries EXCLUSIVELY . I use deep cycle for the trolling
                                  motors and regular marine starting batteries for the rental boats. I
                                  have never seen a deep cycle labeled as a Marine Starting battery, and I
                                  have never seen a Marine Starting battery labeled as DEEP CYCLE.

                                  > mainiac bill

                                • Wncol2004
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                                    I have seen a few deep cycles with a CCC rating on em, which indicates they are not true Deep Cycle. My deep cycles do not have a CCC rating.

                                    On Jun 18, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                    > I don't know what kind of batteries you have seen or where in stores,but I have several rental boats and several trolling motors.I use DIE HARD batteries EXCLUSIVELY . I use deep cycle for the trolling motors and regular marine starting batteries for the rental boats. I have never seen a deep cycle labeled as a Marine Starting battery, and I have never seen a Marine Starting battery labeled as DEEP CYCLE.
                                    >
                                    > mainiac bill
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • RogerD
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                                      DieHard Marine Deep Cycle/RV batteries are not true deep cycle, but hybrid dual purpose types. Of easy to find brands Exide and Interstate (6V only) do sell true deep cycle. Other premium true deep cycle brands (like Trojan) are harder to find and a lot more expensive.

                                      Don't know where the components are made, but Johnson Controls makes a large percentage of private label batteries. Interstate, DieHard, and many of the auto parts stores. Walmart even lists them on top of every battery!

                                      http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-interstate-batteries/

                                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "orioneer" <JosephusMinimus@...> wrote:

                                      > Bill - Unless they've changed what they do, DIE HARD uses the same
                                      > plates and separaters in the cells as all the other medium-to-high
                                      > priced batteries. Probably the internal components are all manufactured
                                      > in the same factory in China or somewhere, sold to all the battery
                                      > manufacturing plants of all brands, same components.
                                      >
                                      > All DIE HARD did to make the batteries hotter was lower the PH of the
                                      > acid, giving it further to go before it loses everything.
                                      >
                                      > The only problem was the lower PH reduces the life of the plates more
                                      > quickly than happens with a higher PH. Lowering the PH without
                                      > thickening the plates equals plates eaten from zero-to-sixty a lot
                                      > sooner than a person might wish.
                                      >
                                      > Just saying. Jack
                                      >
                                      > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I don't know what kind of batteries you have seen or where in
                                      > stores,but I have several rental boats and several trolling motors.I use
                                      > DIE HARD batteries EXCLUSIVELY . I use deep cycle for the trolling
                                      > motors and regular marine starting batteries for the rental boats. I
                                      > have never seen a deep cycle labeled as a Marine Starting battery, and I
                                      > have never seen a Marine Starting battery labeled as DEEP CYCLE.
                                      > >
                                      > > mainiac bill

                                    • RogerD
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 19, 2013
                                        DieHard Marine Deep Cycle/RV batteries are all hybrid "dual purpose" and they don't offer any true deep cycle types. You are right that they have a straight Marine Starting type which will not be labeled deep cycle. Look at your trolling batteries again.

                                        All of the "dual purpose" types are labeled deep cycle because they have some that capability. They usually have a lower CCA and MSA rating compared to a like sized pure starting type, but are still fairly high. Pure deep cycle often don't even list cranking amps.

                                        http://www.sears.com/automotive-batteries-marine-batteries/s-1100201

                                        http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup|RVDeepCycle|3|

                                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                        > I don't know what kind of batteries you have seen or where  in stores,but I have several rental boats and several trolling motors.I use DIE HARD batteries EXCLUSIVELY . I use deep cycle for the trolling motors and regular marine starting batteries for the rental boats. I have never seen a deep cycle labeled as a Marine Starting battery, and I have never seen a Marine Starting battery labeled as DEEP CYCLE.
                                        >
                                        > mainiac bill
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • orioneer
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 20, 2013
                                          Hi Bill, and thanks for the info. I thought I might be partially correct or I wouldn't have said it. I'll concede you're partially correct about me being partially correct. Gracias, Jack

                                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                          > Actually Jack, you are partially correct.Die Hard batteries are made by Johnson Controls. The same people make 80% of all the batteries. They make batteries for Wal-Mart  right alongside of the Die Hard made for SEARS.
                                          >
                                          > mainiac bill

                                        • RogerD
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 20, 2013
                                            Bill - Saw a statement from a Johnson Controls person on another RV forum that their battery manufacturing specifications did vary by customer, but they will not give details. That may be reflected by retail price, but you don't always know. EverStart Maxx at Walmart compares to DieHard Gold, with only about a $15 price difference.

                                            Worst offender for overpricing is Interstate no matter where they are sold. They really stick it to you in more remote places where you can't get other top brands. Especially on things like lawn tractor batteries which are double the price of Walmart. Same specs - same manufacturer. The warranties on these are poor because people kill them by not maintaining charge in the off season...much like Marine and RV batteries.

                                            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                            > Actually Jack, you are partially correct.Die Hard batteries are made by Johnson Controls. The same people make 80% of all the batteries. They make batteries for Wal-Mart  right alongside of the Die Hard made for SEARS.
                                            >
                                            > mainiac bill
                                            >

                                            > ________________________________

                                          • orioneer
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 22, 2013
                                              Wilf Blakey: I tried sending you an email back to thank you for the info about the alternator etc, but it came back undeliverable. So thanks right out here where everyone can see. Gracias, amigo. Jack

                                            • Garry Foster
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 22, 2013
                                                Warren I have owned 5 motor homes and never seen one wired as your talking about. Always charge house battery from main alternator via an isolator or relay. Same a trailer charging battery from battery line.

                                                Garry

                                                Sent from Garry's iPhone

                                                On Jun 16, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:

                                                > My experience in motorhomes in general..which is quite limited.
                                                > Is the coach battery is Not charged by the alternator unless you flip the switch that joins the two batteries (coach and chassis) together. This switch also will allow both batteries to be charged by the converter and or generator. Issue is the batteries are of a different type (chassis is an automotive battery and coach is a deep cycle) and should not be connected together for very long. Basically just long enough to either start the gen or start the motorhome engine.
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Warren
                                                > 1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                                                > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
                                                > Western KY
                                                > Sent from my iPad 2.
                                                >
                                                > On Jun 16, 2013, at 8:25 PM, Robert Mitchell <mitch_bob@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > My experience is that the battery is charged primarily by the drive engine alternator.
                                                > > #2 the described object sounds like the device to reverse the lock on an awning.

                                              • Wncol2004
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 22, 2013
                                                  I saw one early 70s that I almost purchased that needed a switch flipped. But it could also be the isolator had failed. It was old and in need of some TLC.