Re: [classicrv] 1976 pawnee

  • JerryK
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013
      If it inputs 12 volts DC and outputs 120 Volts it is normally referred to as an inverter.  It is used to power 120 volt items in your RV from the 12 volt battery pack when you are not plugged in to shorepower.

      If it inputs 120 volt AC and outputs 12 volts DC it is normally referred to as a convertor.  It is used to charge your battery pack and power 12 volt items in your RV when you are plugged into shorepower and it is turned on.

      I would suggest searching Google with the manufacturer's name and the model number and you might find an owners manual.  You might even find one on Ebay.

      JerryK

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013
        As far as finding a  manual for the inverter, do a google search for that; just put in the name of the inverter and you should be able to find all the information you need.
        As for the stuff working only on engine battery and some only on house battery, it sounds like someone did some creative wiring at some point.

        mainiac bill

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2013
          Corby,

          If what you are describing is correct, it is bad and and should be changed.

          The only thing that should be connected to the engine battery is the engine (maybe the dash radio). Everything else should be run from the house battery. That way you can't leave a light on and then not be able to start up in the morning.

          Someone else corrected the nomenclature for inverter and converter. Look at the tag more closely, it says input 6.0 amps. It is supposed power all the 12V stuff when you have shore power available. It is also supposed to charge the house battery when that is needed.

          Matt

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "corby g" <cguillett@...> wrote:

          > Took the Pawnee for a weekend adventure..A little trouble to start didnt want to stay running, was putting sea foam and carb cleaner and staight gas in carb to get started. Figured on nice ride would clean it out, seemed to work, put over 100 miles on with multiple stops and an overnight and fired up just fine. Maybe just some old gas and the carb needing to get worked and loosened up. One thing I noticed on the rv was the interior lights in the camper and sleeping area seem to run off engine battery and the rv water pump runs off the back battery and the wall plugs only work when plugged in. Is that right? And what does my inverter do(Converter Systems INC) model CS-840 serial no 3430 part no600-20-056 input current 60 amps ac input voltage 120 volts ac output current 40 amps-DC
          > outbuts voltage 12.6 volts DC. What does inverter run and is there a manual for it?

        • RogerD
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
            How did you determine what runs off which battery? I would disconnect each battery one at a time, and then run things...maybe you already did this. Like others have said, only the engine, cab, and running lights should work off the starting battery. If there is no charger in the converter (see below) there might be a charge wire from the starting battery circuit to the house battery. This should have an isolation device like are used in trailer hookups on the tow vehicle. Look for this as a tap onto the starting battery or alternator.

            I did a multiple search for the CS-840 and only came up with a few others looking for the same thing. Converter Systems, Inc. is long out of business. There was a reference to a battery charger being a plug in option, but that was with the CS-830 model.

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "corby g" <cguillett@...> wrote:

            > Took the Pawnee for a weekend adventure..A little trouble to start didnt want to stay running, was putting sea foam and carb cleaner and staight gas in carb to get started. Figured on nice ride would clean it out, seemed to work, put over 100 miles on with multiple stops and an overnight and fired up just fine. Maybe just some old gas and the carb needing to get worked and loosened up. One thing I noticed on the rv was the interior lights in the camper and sleeping area seem to run off engine battery and the rv water pump runs off the back battery and the wall plugs only work when plugged in. Is that right? And what does my inverter do(Converter Systems INC) model CS-840 serial no 3430 part no600-20-056 input current 60 amps ac input voltage 120 volts ac output current 40 amps-DC
            > outbuts voltage 12.6 volts DC. What does inverter run and is there a manual for it?

          • corby g
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
              I checked the system a bit more last nite. It is a converter, not an inverter. Still seems to run off engine batteryy. I dont seem to be getting anything from house battery. Ran out of time last nite will try to isolate tonite. Not a big deal yet as we will be camping with electric next week. I do want to figure out before I go to a place without power. I did get my water tank set up and my city water hookup works.
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "corby g" <cguillett@...> wrote:

              > Took the Pawnee for a weekend adventure..A little trouble to start didnt want to stay running, was putting sea foam and carb cleaner and staight gas in carb to get started. Figured on nice ride would clean it out, seemed to work, put over 100 miles on with multiple stops and an overnight and fired up just fine. Maybe just some old gas and the carb needing to get worked and loosened up. One thing I noticed on the rv was the interior lights in the camper and sleeping area seem to run off engine battery and the rv water pump runs off the back battery and the wall plugs only work when plugged in. Is that right? And what does my inverter do(Converter Systems INC) model CS-840 serial no 3430 part no600-20-056 input current 60 amps ac input voltage 120 volts ac output current 40 amps-DC
              > outbuts voltage 12.6 volts DC. What does inverter run and is there a manual for it?

            • Dick
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                Move the connection over to the house battery. Then see what happens. If there is a built in charger, check your battery water often (once a week)because many of the older converters would boil the water out of batteries! You may want to consider a charger switch if this is a problem.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                  Do you know if the converter has a charging circuit, as not all of the older ones did. Saw it was an option on some models made by Converter Systems Inc. Should have dedicated charging wires, and maybe a separate 12V fuse. Ones without a charging circuit use the vehicle engine charging system. My 1976 Terry trailer doesn't even have a power converter! It is static in a park and I have to manually charge the battery... fortunately it is not used much on 12V.

                  If it has a charging circuit, does it work? Disconnect the battery cables and measure across them with a volt meter (DMM).

                  Is the battery able to be charged? If you have a working charging circuit, try to charge the battery with an external charger.

                  If both of these tests are OK, the next place to suspect is the battery-transformer switch, which will likely be in the converter enclosure. This chooses which power source will feed the coach 12V distribution circuits. It may be manual, or it may be a relay. If manual put it in the Battery position. If a relay, it is likely powered by 120V to automatically switch over to the converter 12V output when plugged in to 120V. If not plugged in it switches to battery source. You should hear a click when this happens. You could cycle the power source by switching on-off the converter main breaker, but that might mask the sound of the relay when this happens. Maybe too risky to touch the relay cover to detect the click as it has 120V wired to it. Be VERY careful when working around live 120V parts of the converter, and use nothing conductive!