'76 GMC won't start after winter

  • skatingtoolman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
      I purchased a '76 GMC RV last year and the starter always engaged prior to putting it up for the winter. I winterized my RV for the winter. All was fine. I took the engine battery out and kept it on a trickle charge. The battery is fully charged. The shore battery to run all of the other electrical items appears to have been dead for quite some time, so I simply removed it.
      My question is:
      -Is the shore battery (probably calling it the wrong thing) required in order to start the engine?

      I know that the engine battery is good, because all of the normal electrical items like radio, lights and wipers work when running off of it. I even tried jumping the battery, but still no noise from the starter.

      Are the starters in these known to go bad if not used for 6 months?
    • ez zinger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
        Your problem as described is not common......
        I have written an extensive email with explanation and troubleshooting info - addressed to  skatingtoolman@... unfortunately Yahoo bounced it as a bad address.Please email me directly and I will reply with my write up.~Ericezzinger@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
          Try, or have someone try for you if you dont know how, jumping the starter solenoid. Sounds more like a mouse has chewed a wire in half, in this case the one going from solenoid to ignition switch. With the key in normal 'run' position and jumping the solenoid, the engine should start and run, with the key in the 'off' position the engine will still turn over but not start when the solenoid is jumped.

          Anything else and it could be a mechanical problem, starter or engine locked up.

          Glen

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, skatingtoolman@... wrote:

          > I purchased a '76 GMC RV last year and the starter always engaged prior to putting it up for the winter. I winterized my RV for the winter. All was fine. I took the engine battery out and kept it on a trickle charge. The battery is fully charged. The shore battery to run all of the other electrical items appears to have been dead for quite some time, so I simply removed it.
          > My question is:
          > -Is the shore battery (probably calling it the wrong thing) required in order to start the engine?
          >
          > I know that the engine battery is good, because all of the normal electrical items like radio, lights and wipers work when running off of it. I even tried jumping the battery, but still no noise from the starter.
          >
          > Are the starters in these known to go bad if not used for 6 months?

        • Jabba Truck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
            On a similar note, that will also help you trace issues with the neutral safety switch circuit.

            glen c <roadhse2@...> wrote:

            >Try, or have someone try for you if you dont know how, jumping the
            >starter solenoid. Sounds more like a mouse has chewed a wire in half,
            >in this case the one going from solenoid to ignition switch. With the
            >key in normal 'run' position and jumping the solenoid, the engine
            >should start and run, with the key in the 'off' position the engine
            >will still turn over but not start when the solenoid is jumped.
            >
            >Anything else and it could be a mechanical problem, starter or engine
            >locked up.
            >
            >Glen
            >
            >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, skatingtoolman@... wrote:
            >>
            >> I purchased a '76 GMC RV last year and the starter always engaged
            >prior to putting it up for the winter. I winterized my RV for the
            >winter. All was fine. I took the engine battery out and kept it on a
            >trickle charge. The battery is fully charged. The shore battery to run
            >all of the other electrical items appears to have been dead for quite
            >some time, so I simply removed it.
            >> My question is:
            >> -Is the shore battery (probably calling it the wrong thing) required
            >in order to start the engine?
            >>
            >> I know that the engine battery is good, because all of the normal
            >electrical items like radio, lights and wipers work when running off of
            >it. I even tried jumping the battery, but still no noise from the
            >starter.
            >>
            >> Are the starters in these known to go bad if not used for 6 months?

          • randy lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
              What happens when you turn the key? Is there a click? Do the lights/horn work? Are you sure the gear is in Park? Lumping the solenoid is a good idea, if you done it before. I don't think you should try it, if you never done it before.
              Let us know what you find.
              Good luck!

            • mcolie
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
                Is this a GMC coach (VIN TZE) or a P30 chassis?
                If it is a TZE, I can get you help.
                If not, good luck trouble shooting.
                Matt