Re: House Battery Connection

  • DonW
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2013
      Usually the ground terminal would be to chassis ground (the vehicle ground). If you put a probe connected to the chassis, and took a resistance reading for each set of wires, the one with the lowest resistance should be ground or negative. You could also look for a positive lead on an applicance like a fridge or furnace, and do the resistance test to find positive. Lowest reading of the set of wires would be positive. This might require a rather long probe wire but should work.

      Donw

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Randallbrink" <randallbrink@...> wrote:

      > In preparing to install a new house battery, I discovered that I cannot tell which wires connect to which batt terminal. There are two sets of two wires banded together (approx 12 ga. wire) with the small round terminal stud connectors. One set of wires is white/tan and the other set has one black wire and one non-descript white/grey wire. I have not yet attempted to trace back to the junction box.
      >
      > If anyone could suggest a quick way to determine which is pos and which is neg, I would greatly appreciate it!

    • Rob
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2013
        I'd check for voltage first as checking for continuity to ground on a
        hot wire is never the best thing for the meter.
        Then again meters are cheap.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html
        http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665
        http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-03482141000P?PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:3:0

        Cheap enough that you should really have one so someone could talk
        you thru troubleshooting by phone, email or text.

        Rob
        vwrobb@...

        At 5/19/2013 10:32 AM,WiliWali wrote:

        >Use a multimeter or test light to check the continuity of each wire
        >to a known ground - like the chassis frame. The ground wire will
        >have 100% continuity, the positive will have high resistance.
        >
        >--- In
        ><mailto:classicrv%40yahoogroups.com>classicrv@yahoogroups.com,
        >"Randallbrink" <randallbrink@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > If anyone could suggest a quick way to determine which is pos and
        > which is neg, I would greatly appreciate it!

      • RogerD
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 2013
          Good point. Even with the shore power disconnected, there can still be residual voltage in the capacitors of the charging circuit. Good meters can handle this, but maybe not the cheapies you mentioned.

          I have had a Fluke 77 since 1997 that now sells for $300. Wonderful instrument that has only had one battery change since new. Way overkill for most folks, but I did a lot of electronics work back then.