House Battery Connection

  • Randallbrink
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18 7:42 AM
      In preparing to install a new house battery, I discovered that I cannot tell which wires connect to which batt terminal. There are two sets of two wires banded together (approx 12 ga. wire) with the small round terminal stud connectors. One set of wires is white/tan and the other set has one black wire and one non-descript white/grey wire. I have not yet attempted to trace back to the junction box.

      If anyone could suggest a quick way to determine which is pos and which is neg, I would greatly appreciate it!
    • DonW
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19 5:06 AM
        Usually the ground terminal would be to chassis ground (the vehicle ground). If you put a probe connected to the chassis, and took a resistance reading for each set of wires, the one with the lowest resistance should be ground or negative. You could also look for a positive lead on an applicance like a fridge or furnace, and do the resistance test to find positive. Lowest reading of the set of wires would be positive. This might require a rather long probe wire but should work.

        Donw

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Randallbrink" <randallbrink@...> wrote:

        > In preparing to install a new house battery, I discovered that I cannot tell which wires connect to which batt terminal. There are two sets of two wires banded together (approx 12 ga. wire) with the small round terminal stud connectors. One set of wires is white/tan and the other set has one black wire and one non-descript white/grey wire. I have not yet attempted to trace back to the junction box.
        >
        > If anyone could suggest a quick way to determine which is pos and which is neg, I would greatly appreciate it!

      • WiliWali
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19 8:32 AM
          Use a multimeter or test light to check the continuity of each wire to a known ground - like the chassis frame. The ground wire will have 100% continuity, the positive will have high resistance.

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Randallbrink" <randallbrink@...> wrote:

          > If anyone could suggest a quick way to determine which is pos and which is neg, I would greatly appreciate it!

        • RogerD
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19 12:12 PM
            Always worth checking, as some idiots have been known to get "creative" with splicing in other color wires!

            Besides continuity of each battery wire to ground, would think there should be voltage present on the hot (+) wire if the rig is plugged into a 120V A/C power source. This would be from the charging circuit of the voltage converter. That wire should be black or red, and the meter would go from there to a known ground. Hooking up across the wires will not tell which one is the hot.

            Either method will work as well. Ground wire should be white, and both wires should be 10 gauge. The other wires mentioned might be for the breakaway switch.

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "WiliWali" <cathcartww@...> wrote:

            > Use a multimeter or test light to check the continuity of each wire to a known ground - like the chassis frame. The ground wire will have 100% continuity, the positive will have high resistance.
            >
            > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Randallbrink" <randallbrink@> wrote:
            > >

            > > If anyone could suggest a quick way to determine which is pos and which is neg, I would greatly appreciate it!

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19 12:50 PM
              I'd check for voltage first as checking for continuity to ground on a
              hot wire is never the best thing for the meter.
              Then again meters are cheap.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html
              http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665
              http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-03482141000P?PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:3:0

              Cheap enough that you should really have one so someone could talk
              you thru troubleshooting by phone, email or text.

              Rob
              vwrobb@...

              Message 6 of 6 , May 19 3:33 PM
                Good point. Even with the shore power disconnected, there can still be residual voltage in the capacitors of the charging circuit. Good meters can handle this, but maybe not the cheapies you mentioned.

                I have had a Fluke 77 since 1997 that now sells for $300. Wonderful instrument that has only had one battery change since new. Way overkill for most folks, but I did a lot of electronics work back then.