Re: [classicrv] Re: Looking for a cheap Camper

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2013
      I have a far different experience than you had.
      It can be done with careful shopping, a willingness to ask questions
      before hand (education) and realistic expectations.

      Rob
      vwrobb@...

      At 5/15/2013 06:51 AM,ndac57 wrote:
      > Im sorry, there is no such thing.
      >
      >I bought a Cheap Dolphin $4500 2 yrs ago. Over 2000 to get thru
      >inspection. And ever since its been 500 to 1000 every few months.
      >Everything from both AC systems to upholstery, cant forget rotten
      >wood replacement.
      >
      >What Ive read the folks that buy new ones don't do much better.
      >Except they spend a lot of time at manufacturers parking lot with
      >warrenty issues.
      >
      >A camp ground costs about half of a motel. The advantage here is you
      >don't bring home a bunch of bed bugs. So if your dream is trouble
      >free travel, dream on. Don't even touch reality.
    • igrindstaf
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2013
        I agree with Rob. In my case i was looking for a motorhome to take to the local lakes and state parks for camping and was expecting to pay about 10 grand, but instead found a 1990 model for 4800.00 and feel that I got a real nice cheep camper.
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:

        > I have a far different experience than you had.
        > It can be done with careful shopping, a willingness to ask questions
        > before hand (education) and realistic expectations.
        >
        > Rob
        > vwrobb@...
        >

        > At 5/15/2013 06:51 AM,ndac57 wrote:
        > > Im sorry, there is no such thing.
        > >
        > >I bought a Cheap Dolphin $4500 2 yrs ago. Over 2000 to get thru
        > >inspection. And ever since its been 500 to 1000 every few months.
        > >Everything from both AC systems to upholstery, cant forget rotten
        > >wood replacement.
        > >
        > >What Ive read the folks that buy new ones don't do much better.
        > >Except they spend a lot of time at manufacturers parking lot with
        > >warrenty issues.
        > >
        > >A camp ground costs about half of a motel. The advantage here is you
        > >don't bring home a bunch of bed bugs. So if your dream is trouble
        > >free travel, dream on. Don't even touch reality.

      • glen c
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2013
          Agree with Rob,

          We have a 1978 Coachman Class C that has been well taken care of in it's 96,000 mile life. It also has upgrades such as new converter, ceramic wall heater (hard plumbed to propane), new large double door fridge with automatic settings, 85% tires, good paint and great factory interior and upholstery. Everything works as it should and it drives fine. Under $3k total cost with titling and tax...

          I just de-winterized it for this summer fun yesterday...fired right up and all systems go.

          Look around and dont jump at the first one, good ones are out there.

          Glen