Looking for a cheap Camper

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2013
      100% SERVICE CONNECTED DISABLED VIETNAM VETERAN LOOKING FOR A CHEAP BUMPER PULL CAMPER I CAB BUY ON MONTHLY PAYMENTS.
    • Bill Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2013
        WHERE are you? how much can you afford? Who are you?

        mainiac bill

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2013
          Im sorry, there is no such thing.

          I bought a Cheap Dolphin $4500 2 yrs ago. Over 2000 to get thru inspection. And ever since its been 500 to 1000 every few months.
          Everything from both AC systems to upholstery, cant forget rotten wood replacement.

          What Ive read the folks that buy new ones don't do much better. Except they spend a lot of time at manufacturers parking lot with warrenty issues.

          A camp ground costs about half of a motel. The advantage here is you don't bring home a bunch of bed bugs. So if your dream is trouble free travel, dream on. Don't even touch reality.
        • Warren
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2013
            Yah, No such thing as a cheep camper.
            Cheep usually means it needs a lot of work.

            Now, I do know where there is, what I call a cheep mobile home not to far
            from me. It is a 1950s or maybe an early 60s Spartan mansion or manor or
            imperial something. Not sure if it is still for sale. But it needs a bit of
            work but would be livable with very little work.
            Oh and it is not a travel trailer. I believe it is a 10 wide by 35 or 40
            feet long. would require special permits to transport or a mobile home
            moving company mainly due to the width. Anything wider than 8 feet is
            considered a mobile home.
            I think he was asking less than 2k for it.
            It would need new tires before hauling though but he did move it 20 or so
            miles on the tires it has now without any issues. But he did drive slow,
            Like a max of 35 mph.

            If you can get the permits to move it your self, I believe it would need a
            1 ton dually pickup minimum to do it safely. I have been in the trailer
            and saw it my self. being a mobile home, it needs furniture. Kitchen is
            there. Fridge needs replacing. It fell over and really messed up the door.
            Again, Mobile home not travel trailer thus the refrigerator is a normal
            home style not RV style fridge.

            Final tally on that spartan I believe would be:
            Needs a total rewire, but I believe it will work though can't be trusted.
            Being the interior is wood paneling...makes getting to the old wiring a
            real hassle and costly if you have to replace any of the wood.
            Needs new fridge.
            Not sure if any appliances (stove, oven) were propane or electric. But if
            propane, may need new propane lines or at least the old ones reconnected
            and a propane tank. No tanks or tank.
            Had one AC in the rear so, would need more AC units installed.
            I would expect the one there may not work.

            The front windows, glass was removed and the openings covered with aluminum
            but. needs insulation added and something to cover it on the inside until
            you can properly replace the glass. it is curved glass so may be best to
            use curved lexan or plexi.

            On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM, ndac57 <mauricen@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Im sorry, there is no such thing.
            >
            > I bought a Cheap Dolphin $4500 2 yrs ago. Over 2000 to get thru
            > inspection. And ever since its been 500 to 1000 every few months.
            > Everything from both AC systems to upholstery, cant forget rotten wood
            > replacement.
            >
            > What Ive read the folks that buy new ones don't do much better. Except
            > they spend a lot of time at manufacturers parking lot with warrenty issues.
            >
            > A camp ground costs about half of a motel. The advantage here is you don't
            > bring home a bunch of bed bugs. So if your dream is trouble free travel,
            > dream on. Don't even touch reality.

            1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
            pickup (Sam)

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2013
              I have a far different experience than you had.
              It can be done with careful shopping, a willingness to ask questions
              before hand (education) and realistic expectations.

              Rob
              vwrobb@...

              At 5/15/2013 06:51 AM,ndac57 wrote:
              > Im sorry, there is no such thing.
              >
              >I bought a Cheap Dolphin $4500 2 yrs ago. Over 2000 to get thru
              >inspection. And ever since its been 500 to 1000 every few months.
              >Everything from both AC systems to upholstery, cant forget rotten
              >wood replacement.
              >
              >What Ive read the folks that buy new ones don't do much better.
              >Except they spend a lot of time at manufacturers parking lot with
              >warrenty issues.
              >
              >A camp ground costs about half of a motel. The advantage here is you
              >don't bring home a bunch of bed bugs. So if your dream is trouble
              >free travel, dream on. Don't even touch reality.
            • igrindstaf
              Message 6 of 7 , May 19, 2013
                I agree with Rob. In my case i was looking for a motorhome to take to the local lakes and state parks for camping and was expecting to pay about 10 grand, but instead found a 1990 model for 4800.00 and feel that I got a real nice cheep camper.
                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:

                > I have a far different experience than you had.
                > It can be done with careful shopping, a willingness to ask questions
                > before hand (education) and realistic expectations.
                >
                > Rob
                > vwrobb@...
                >

                > At 5/15/2013 06:51 AM,ndac57 wrote:
                > > Im sorry, there is no such thing.
                > >
                > >I bought a Cheap Dolphin $4500 2 yrs ago. Over 2000 to get thru
                > >inspection. And ever since its been 500 to 1000 every few months.
                > >Everything from both AC systems to upholstery, cant forget rotten
                > >wood replacement.
                > >
                > >What Ive read the folks that buy new ones don't do much better.
                > >Except they spend a lot of time at manufacturers parking lot with
                > >warrenty issues.
                > >
                > >A camp ground costs about half of a motel. The advantage here is you
                > >don't bring home a bunch of bed bugs. So if your dream is trouble
                > >free travel, dream on. Don't even touch reality.

              • glen c
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2013
                  Agree with Rob,

                  We have a 1978 Coachman Class C that has been well taken care of in it's 96,000 mile life. It also has upgrades such as new converter, ceramic wall heater (hard plumbed to propane), new large double door fridge with automatic settings, 85% tires, good paint and great factory interior and upholstery. Everything works as it should and it drives fine. Under $3k total cost with titling and tax...

                  I just de-winterized it for this summer fun yesterday...fired right up and all systems go.

                  Look around and dont jump at the first one, good ones are out there.

                  Glen