Re: [classicrv] Airstream title

  • RM
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
      That's not true in Virginia. For trailers, you still have to renew tags and pay personal property taxes on it just like motor vehicles. And if it's over a certain weight or has more than one axel, you have to get it inspected, too.
      --RoseMarie

      <Since trailer is not a moving vehicle, that is a pull along, you'll only have to pay the transfer fee (and taxes) one time, and won't need tags every year, like a motor vehicle.>

    • lighthousemo at Wildwood
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
        I guess I will find out the next time I go down to Arkansas if I can find
        the title, or if there is one, or if I need one..
        Shirley

      • RogerD
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
          Arkansas likely has a title system for travel trailers, so it would be a lot easier if you can find the original. If the title is missing, a duplicate can be obtained. That must be done by the owner on file with DMV, or by their legal representative (you). DMV should be able to trace the title if you provide some identifying information like license or chassis serial number. Finding the last registration would be the best...should be somewhere in the trailer. Another possible problem is if the title has two names listed as owner. That is explained in the first paragraph of the DMV title instructions.

          http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Pages/ReplacementTitles.aspx

          If you have to do anything yourself directly with DMV they may require proof you are your sister's legal representative. Bring this with you when going to Arkansas.

          You can sell the trailer with a Bill of Sale, but it will likely come back to you for document signatures when they try and register it. Could be messy.

          Like others have stated, vehicle registration rules vary a lot in the states. Surprising that so many states still have a Personal Property tax...have not seen that in the 6 states I have registered vehicles in. Some states also have late fees that can be a deal killer to a savvy purchaser.

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, lighthousemo at Wildwood <lighthousemo@...> wrote:

          > I guess I will find out the next time I go down to Arkansas if I can find
          > the title, or if there is one, or if I need one..
          > Shirley
          >

          > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Shirley;
          > > There may not be a title for the Airstream. There may only be a Bill of
          > > Sale. Your best bet will be to contact the bank in Ark. and ask their Loan
          > > Dept if they ever had the title to it, or if it was ever Titled in the
          > > first place. I once bought a Semi-Trailer in Tn. and never had a title for
          > > it. I did have a Bill of Sale, andd it was registered in TN. with a
          > > permanent registration. When I sold it I just had to transfer the
          > > registration.
          > >
          > > mainiac bill
          er never