Re: [classicrv] Airstream title

  • Roger Phillips
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
      I agree with the "depends on the state", but I have bought vehicles before, that I signed a certificate of non-use, and wasn't responsible for past fees. Haven't done that in a property tax state, I would think they would do whatever possible, to make sure they suck you dry. Some states collect property taxes, some state, and some neither. Here's a link to some info:

      http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0141.htm

      Arkansas and Missouri are both property tax states,

      --- On Thu, 4/4/13, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:

      It all depends on the state.

      But, if the trailer has current tags, the taxes are probably up to date.

      I the tags have been expired for a number of years. The taxes are delinquent and they will demand them be paid in full before renewing tags.

      Best of luck.

    • lighthousemo at Wildwood
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
        If you want to get confused <G> become the guardian of your older sibling.
        That is me, paperwork with no end , everything now in my name as guardian.
        ME no like!! I do not know what to do with all this. I get confused with
        all the titles,
        I have bought and sold RV's trucks and cars, new and older(used).
        As I said in the second post the tilte I thought was the airstream is not.
        It belongs to something else(read confusion on my part) I have yet to lay
        eyes on the Airstream title.
        It will be for sale shortly I think.....It is a 70 model 22ft all original
        minus the fridge and an appliance or two.
        But all this stuff will be Arkansas.....
        Shirley

        On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM, dusty titus <dusty_titus@...> wrote:

        > Hello Shirley - kinda can't figure out what your are telling us! You are
        > a guardian to an adult sister (or minor?) Does the statement: The Title is
        > still in Original owners name - does that mean that your sister never
        > registered it or is your sister & dead husband the owners who never
        > registered it? In any case - why BUY a trailer if you already have one?
        > (from your Sister) - you'll need a BILL OF SALE - from somebody in order to
        > transfer property - Since trailer is not a moving vehicle, that is a pull
        > along, you'll only have to pay the transfer fee (and taxes) one time, and
        > won't need tags every year, like a motor vehicle. Hope this helps!
        >
        > Julie
        >

        > >________________________________

      • Wncol2004
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
          That would not work in Kentucky. Here they call it property tax not road tax.

          1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
          Sent from my iPad 2.

          On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:53 PM, Roger Phillips <rcav8or@...> wrote:

          > I agree with the "depends on the state", but I have bought vehicles before, that I signed a certificate of non-use, and wasn't responsible for past fees. Haven't done that in a property tax state, I would think they would do whatever possible, to make sure they suck you dry. Some states collect property taxes, some state, and some neither. Here's a link to some info:
          >
          > http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0141.htm
          >
          > Arkansas and Missouri are both property tax states,
          >
          > --- On Thu, 4/4/13, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:
          >

          > It all depends on the state.
          >
          > But, if the trailer has current tags, the taxes are probably up to date.
          >
          > I the tags have been expired for a number of years. The taxes are delinquent and they will demand them be paid in full before renewing tags.
          >
          > Best of luck.

        • lighthousemo at Wildwood
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
            In Missouri if you have a vehicle but you do not use it, it is stored only
            or non running , you do not pay tax on it. In Arkansas you pay 1/2 tax as
            long as you have it even if it don't run.
            My sister has one of those too a 1977 chevy
            Shirley

            On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:

            > That would not work in Kentucky. Here they call it property tax not road
            > tax.
            >
            > --
            > Warren
            > 1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
            > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
            > Western KY
            > Sent from my iPad 2.
            >
            > On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:53 PM, Roger Phillips <rcav8or@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I agree with the "depends on the state", but I have bought vehicles
            > before, that I signed a certificate of non-use, and wasn't responsible for
            > past fees. Haven't done that in a property tax state, I would think they
            > would do whatever possible, to make sure they suck you dry. Some states
            > collect property taxes, some state, and some neither. Here's a link to some
            > info:
            > >
            > > http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0141.htm
            > >
            > > Arkansas and Missouri are both property tax states,
            > >
            > > --- On Thu, 4/4/13, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > It all depends on the state.
            > >
            > > But, if the trailer has current tags, the taxes are probably up to date.
            > >
            > > I the tags have been expired for a number of years. The taxes are
            > delinquent and they will demand them be paid in full before renewing tags.
            > >
            > > Best of luck.

          • Bill Miller
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
              <Since trailer is not a moving vehicle, that is a pull along, you'll
              only have to pay the transfer fee (and taxes) one time, and won't need
              tags every year, like a motor vehicle.>

              That totally depends if you are moving it around to different places like a normal travel trailer. If so, depends on the state where you register it. You may need to re-register and pay the Excise Tax every year, or you may be able to get a multi-year registration, or it may only need to be done once.
              Mostly in the Northeast , you need to register it either every year or every two years, depending on the state.
              But even in Maine , you do not necessarily need a title or to pay taxes. If you can get an OR plate , you can move it from point A to point B and leave it as in a one time move, without the hassle of getting it registered. But you have to have Liability Insurance on the towing vehicle.

              mainiac bill

              ________________________________
              Hello Shirley - kinda can't figure out what your are telling us!  You are a guardian to an adult sister (or minor?) Does the statement: The Title is still in Original owners name - does that mean that your sister never registered it or is your sister & dead husband the owners who never registered it?  In any case - why BUY a trailer if you already have one?  (from your Sister) - you'll need a BILL OF SALE - from somebody in order to transfer property - Since trailer is not a moving vehicle, that is a pull along, you'll only have to pay the transfer fee (and taxes) one time, and won't need tags every year, like a motor vehicle.  Hope this helps!

              Julie

              >________________________________

            • Bill Miller
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
                Shirley;
                There may not be a title for the Airstream. There may only be a Bill of Sale. Your best bet will be to contact the bank in Ark. and ask their Loan Dept if they ever had the title to it, or if it was ever Titled in the first place. I once bought a Semi-Trailer in Tn. and never had a title for it. I did have a Bill of Sale, andd it was registered in TN. with a permanent registration. When I sold it I just had to transfer the registration.

                mainiac bill

                ________________________________
                If you want to get confused <G> become the guardian of your older sibling.
                That is me, paperwork with no end , everything now in my name as guardian.
                ME no like!! I do not know what to do with all this. I get confused with
                all the titles,
                I have bought and sold RV's trucks and cars, new and older(used).
                As I said in the second post the tilte I thought was the airstream is not.
                It belongs to something else(read confusion on my part) I have yet to lay
                eyes on the Airstream title.
                It will be for sale shortly I think.....It is a 70 model 22ft all original
                minus the fridge and an appliance or two.
                But all this stuff will be Arkansas.....
                Shirley

                On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM, dusty titus <dusty_titus@...> wrote:

                > Hello Shirley - kinda can't figure out what your are telling us! You are
                > a guardian to an adult sister (or minor?) Does the statement: The Title is
                > still in Original owners name - does that mean that your sister never
                > registered it or is your sister & dead husband the owners who never
                > registered it? In any case - why BUY a trailer if you already have one?
                > (from your Sister) - you'll need a BILL OF SALE - from somebody in order to
                > transfer property - Since trailer is not a moving vehicle, that is a pull
                > along, you'll only have to pay the transfer fee (and taxes) one time, and
                > won't need tags every year, like a motor vehicle. Hope this helps!
                >
                > Julie
                >

                > >________________________________

              • RM
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
                  That's not true in Virginia. For trailers, you still have to renew tags and pay personal property taxes on it just like motor vehicles. And if it's over a certain weight or has more than one axel, you have to get it inspected, too.
                  --RoseMarie

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                    I guess I will find out the next time I go down to Arkansas if I can find
                    the title, or if there is one, or if I need one..
                    Shirley

                  • RogerD
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Arkansas likely has a title system for travel trailers, so it would be a lot easier if you can find the original. If the title is missing, a duplicate can be obtained. That must be done by the owner on file with DMV, or by their legal representative (you). DMV should be able to trace the title if you provide some identifying information like license or chassis serial number. Finding the last registration would be the best...should be somewhere in the trailer. Another possible problem is if the title has two names listed as owner. That is explained in the first paragraph of the DMV title instructions.

                      http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Pages/ReplacementTitles.aspx

                      If you have to do anything yourself directly with DMV they may require proof you are your sister's legal representative. Bring this with you when going to Arkansas.

                      You can sell the trailer with a Bill of Sale, but it will likely come back to you for document signatures when they try and register it. Could be messy.

                      Like others have stated, vehicle registration rules vary a lot in the states. Surprising that so many states still have a Personal Property tax...have not seen that in the 6 states I have registered vehicles in. Some states also have late fees that can be a deal killer to a savvy purchaser.

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, lighthousemo at Wildwood <lighthousemo@...> wrote:

                      > I guess I will find out the next time I go down to Arkansas if I can find
                      > the title, or if there is one, or if I need one..
                      > Shirley
                      >

                      > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Shirley;
                      > > There may not be a title for the Airstream. There may only be a Bill of
                      > > Sale. Your best bet will be to contact the bank in Ark. and ask their Loan
                      > > Dept if they ever had the title to it, or if it was ever Titled in the
                      > > first place. I once bought a Semi-Trailer in Tn. and never had a title for
                      > > it. I did have a Bill of Sale, andd it was registered in TN. with a
                      > > permanent registration. When I sold it I just had to transfer the
                      > > registration.
                      > >
                      > > mainiac bill
                      er never