Re: [classicrv] 454 spark plug wires?

  • Wncol2004
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
      Napa usually carry good and proper parts but... Did you ask for 454 spark plug wires or 454 RV spark plug wires. The ole 454 works a lot harder in a motorhome than an automobile or pickup and thus....the wires can be a bit heavier duty to handle the heat.
      But...it is also possible the same work in both.

      I would vote on the ..l it is proper and use em...side.
      Like you mentioned. You don't know what the previous owner did and if they did it proper or not.
      They may have used something for a different motor or got a cut it to length kit.

      1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
      Sent from my iPad 2.

      On Mar 15, 2013, at 11:01 PM, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:

      > I have an '87 454 and the new wires from Napa are heavy rubber where
      > they connect to the plugs, the ones on there now are lighter and have
      > metal heat shields that go over that part.
      >
      > I have no idea what the engine started out with, there is the
      > replacement 'type' wire on the engine, it's like someone left a spare there.
      >
      > Any ideas if the Napa wires are ok? Anyway I'm looking for advice...
      >
      > Rob
      >
      > vwrobb@...
      > On the road, somewhere in the USA

    • Larry Annis
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
        Has anyone towed a 1963-4 VW super beetle, manual transmission? Can you flat tow one of these and is there anything special that has to be done to tow one?
        Larry

      • Dick
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
          Hi,
          I towed a 1971 VW that I had built into a dune buggy, from Virginia to Nicaragua. The bar that I used required removing the front bumper and attaching to the axle beam. The only thing that I had to do was unlock the steering by turning the key on and then I disconnected the battery ground wire. I don't think that the earlier models had a steering lock, so you are set to go! No hassles with bugs and flat towing.
          RWC

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Larry Annis <lannis1769@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone towed a 1963-4 VW super beetle, manual transmission? Can you flat tow one of these and is there anything special that has to be done to tow one?
          > Larry

        • Wncol2004
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
            Just make sure you shift it Into neutral and do not lock the steering and that the tow bars and brackets are proper for that vehicle and, yes, it should tow just fine.
            It is the automatic transmissions you have to do real special stuff with.

            On Mar 16, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Larry Annis <lannis1769@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone towed a 1963-4 VW super beetle, manual transmission? Can you flat tow one of these and is there anything special that has to be done to tow one?
            > Larry

          • Larry Annis
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
              The tow bar that they have for the beetle does attach to the front axle beam. I may have to figure out a quick disconnect for the front bumper so the tow bar doesn't lift the front end off the ground. Otherwise the hitch would have to be awfully low to keep the tow bar level.
              Thanks for the info Dick. Do you know what a beetle weighs?
              Larry

              ________________________________
              I towed a 1971 VW that I had built into a dune buggy, from Virginia to Nicaragua. The bar that I used required removing the front bumper and attaching to the axle beam. The only thing that I had to do was unlock the steering by turning the key on and then I disconnected the battery ground wire. I don't think that the earlier models had a steering lock, so you are set to go! No hassles with bugs and flat towing.
              RWC

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Larry Annis <lannis1769@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone towed a 1963-4 VW super beetle, manual transmission? Can you flat tow one of these and is there anything special that has to be done to tow one?
              > Larry

            • Larry Annis
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
                Thanks Warren

                ________________________________
                Just make sure you shift it Into neutral and do not lock the steering and that the tow bars and brackets are proper for that vehicle and, yes, it should tow just fine.
                It is the automatic transmissions you have to do real special stuff with.

                1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                Sent from my iPad 2.

                On Mar 16, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Larry Annis <lannis1769@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone towed a 1963-4 VW super beetle, manual transmission? Can you flat tow one of these and is there anything special that has to be done to tow one?
                > Larry

              • Dick
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
                  I had to cut out two scallops in the front of the buggy to repair damage from Mexico's 1000 topes (speedbumps), where the tow bar contacted the fiberglass. The standard beetle weighs around 1750 lbs.

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Larry Annis <lannis1769@...> wrote:

                  > The tow bar that they have for the beetle does attach to the front axle beam. I may have to figure out a quick disconnect for the front bumper so the tow bar doesn't lift the front end off the ground. Otherwise the hitch would have to be awfully low to keep the tow bar level.
                  > Thanks for the info Dick. Do you know what a beetle weighs?
                  > Larry

                • randy lee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
                    Spark plug wires work, till they don't work. It typically is a engine miss that will tell you, you need new wires. The difference between a top of the line, and a cheaper (Autozone,O'reilly) is longevity. Probably any wire will work for years. For High performance, (hi RPM, etc) you need a top of the line wire. For an older Carbureted big block chevy, even in a motor-home, any wire should be OK.