Re: [classicrv] Got a ?? for the collective wisdom

  • JerryK
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
      Mike,
      Send us a picture of your rig. That might help inspire some suggestions.  Right now I'm thinking of some kind of a bar or roof rack that you could rest the canoe on and then push it all the way up.
      JerryK

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
        Simple - flip it over in the water, back the rig under it, tie it down, driive off...

        What could be easier???

        (couldn't help it!).

        How long of a canoe, and how heavy? That could help, also...

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
          I have seen roller units that top mount on pickup canopies for either front or rear mounting of light boats by hand. What is your unit weight and minimum mount height?
          ==========================

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

          > Finally buying a nice canoe. Any thoughts on transporting it on a short
          > Class C's roof?
          >

          > Mike

          > "Don't go around saying that the World owes you a living. The World owes
          > you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
          >

          > "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
          > you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

          > Mike VanPelt

        • wpmartin55
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013

            > That would be a bad day . . . :-) Mostly I'm wondering about getting it up
            > there, safely.

            Camping world sells a winch (not wench) for pulling RV covers up onto the roof. Maybe something like that would pull it up onto a rack. Take a look at it and maybe you can figure out a way to make something similar for your purposes.
          • Bill Miller
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
              Several years ago, maybe decades now, Sears sold a rig that attached to the rain gutters on cars(remember them), so that one man could could raise and lower a boat by himself. I still have one of those rigs,although I haven't used it in years.But it did work great for one person to raise and lower a boat from the roof.

              mainiac bill

              ________________________________
              Now, that is the trick, getting the canoe up there without killing your self.

              1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
              Sent from my iPad 2.

              On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:00 PM, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

              > Just watch out for low bridges and overhangs. Might clean your canoe right
              > off your roof.
              >
              > That would be a bad day . . . :-) Mostly I'm wondering about getting it up
              > there, safely.
              >
              > Mike

              > "Don't go around saying that the World owes you a living. The World owes
              > you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
              >
              > "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
              > you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

              > Mike VanPelt
              >
              > Director of Bands and Orchestras
              >
              > Riverside University High School
              >
              > 1615 E Locust St
              >
              > Milwaukee, WI 53211
              >
              > 414-906-5035 (w)
              >
              > 414-507-1408 (c)
              >
              > 414-304-1273 (h)
              >
              > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
              >
              > vanpemr@...
              >
              > mvp1114@...

            • Dick
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                Several years ago, I made a loft bedroom on my 1977 Travel Queen out of two pickup caps that I bought on Craigslist. In order to install the caps, I also bought a used chain drive garage door opener. The opener and a good sized inverter should do the trick. I got the opener for $30.00, the owner had just removed and replaced it because it didn't seem to easily open his garage door. On getting it home, I found that there was an adjustment screw that varied the force. Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember riding up and down a few times with no problem (I weigh 200lbs.)

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "wpmartin55" <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

                > > That would be a bad day . . . :-) Mostly I'm wondering about getting it up
                > > there, safely.
                > >

                > Camping world sells a winch (not wench) for pulling RV covers up onto the roof. Maybe something like that would pull it up onto a rack. Take a look at it and maybe you can figure out a way to make something similar for your purposes.

              • Dave S.
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Roger,
                  You also wash the interior of the rig while you are at it.. LOL
                  DFD
                  On 3/12/2013 9:37 PM, Roger Phillips wrote:
                  > Simple - flip it over in the water, back the rig under it, tie it down, driive off...
                  >
                  > What could be easier???
                  >
                  > (couldn't help it!).
                  >
                  > How long of a canoe, and how heavy? That could help, also...

                  My Railroad picture pages are at
                  www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
                  Miscellaneous other pictures are at
                  www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

                • Mike VanPelt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                    <groan>

                    Well, I guess I left myself open for some of those. <VBG>

                    I'm working on getting a pic up. I've got 'em, just a matter of which of
                    the 1000's of pix I've got shows a good shot of the vehicle . . . sometimes
                    digital photography can be a BAD thing, y'know?

                    It's a typical Class C, just short (21').

                    Mike

                    "Don't go around saying that the World owes you a living. The World owes
                    you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain

                    "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
                    you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

                  • Rob
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                      At 3/13/2013 10:48 PM,Mike VanPelt wrote:

                      >It's a typical Class C, just short (21').
                      >
                      >Mike

                      I can picture a roller (of some sort) the width of the canoe mounted
                      to the rear edge of the RV & a pad to set on the ground to protect
                      the part that rests there.
                      You set one end on the roller and the other on the pad & get the canoe stable.
                      Climb up on the roof and pull the canoe up using the roller as your
                      helper until you have the canoe up.
                      Strap it down to what ever type of mount you have decided on.

                      I can't picture taking the canoe down yet ....

                      This would all be easier if you had help but sometimes there is no
                      one else <shrug>.

                      Rob
                      vwrobb@...
                      Eisenhower warned us but they won anyway
                    • ezzinger
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                        I have been trying to visualize a hinged step ladder or fold down step above rear bumper, mounted beside your canoe, which would provide steady footing while you manage the weight of the canoe over center balance-tip down to the ground. You would also need a hand hold for safety.
                        You could place a bumper(pad)on tip of canoe so it can land anywhere on the ground, and the roller could also be removeable - mounted onto the canoe.
                        Eric