Re: [classicrv] Re: need help with new battery

  • Bill Miller
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
      Batteries  for a fleet are far different than batteries for your camper or pick up truck. Batteries for a fleet would need to be commercial duty rated. Not the same animal as your car or truck/camper battery. To many people try to get by on the CHEAP with the wrong battery and then when the batteries fail they blame the company that they bought the wrong battery from.
      Your SLAM at Wal-Mart's batteries is not fair.
      You chose to buy the cheaper product and when it did not meet your needs you blame the company that sold you what you asked for.

      Now if you told the person at Wal-Mart that you needed heavy duty batteries for a fleet and they sold you their cheapest battery, then you might have grounds to complain. That was not the case.

      mainiac bill

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
        The batteries I was buying were for car, truck, and heavy duty. I do not
        believe in buying batteries that do not fit the vehicles that require the
        battery.
        You have now said that Walmart sells cheap batteries.
        OK folks you want a good quality battery they are now labeled as cheap.
        Oh at the time I was buying batteries 6-8 at a time they were Champion and
        I did not say what kind of fleet I was buying for.

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
          I do not want to start any fights or arguments, but I do take offense when somebody, ANYBODY,unjustly defames any company because they were trying to get away with buying the wrong product on the cheap (inexpensive).
          I can go to Wal-Mart  today and buy a battery for my 07 Explorer, for $89.00. I can also buy one there for $129.00. Both have the same warranty, both are made for my vehicle, both are the same physical size.
          The less expensive battery will do the job, but up here in Maine , it may not hold up. If one fails prematurely it will be replaced.
           If, however, I suddenly start coming into the store every week or every few days with a failed battery, somebody is going to start questioning me, and what I am doing with those batteries.

          If I am honest and tell them that I have a fleet of EXPLORERS THAT I USE FOR Taxis, or making deliveries, or whatever, I am going to be told that I bought the batteries under FALSE PRETENSES, and that the warranty is void.

          I am NOT a fan of Wal-Mart; I hate the damned company, their economic policies suck. Their Personnel policies are discriminatory,they engage in unfair labor practices on a regular basis.

          BUT , at the same time I do not want to see them unjustly accused of not honoring their warranty, when the whole story is not being told.

          ________________________________
          The batteries I was buying were for car, truck, and heavy duty. I do not
          believe in buying batteries that do not fit the vehicles that require the
          battery.
          You have now said that Walmart sells cheap batteries.
          OK folks you want a good quality battery they are now labeled as cheap.
          Oh at the time I was buying batteries 6-8 at a time they were Champion and
          I did not say what kind of fleet I was buying for.

          On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

          > Batteries for a fleet are far different than batteries for your camper or
          > pick up truck. Batteries for a fleet would need to be commercial duty
          > rated. Not the same animal as your car or truck/camper battery. To many
          > people try to get by on the CHEAP with the wrong battery and then when the
          > batteries fail they blame the company that they bought the wrong battery
          > from.
          > Your SLAM at Wal-Mart's batteries is not fair.
          > You chose to buy the cheaper product and when it did not meet your needs
          > you blame the company that sold you what you asked for.
          >
          > Now if you told the person at Wal-Mart that you needed heavy duty
          > batteries for a fleet and they sold you their cheapest battery, then you
          > might have grounds to complain. That was not the case.
          >
          > mainiac bill
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Robert Nicholas
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013

            Lets Go Camping.

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
              Lets Go Camping.

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                Lets Go Camping.

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                  Lets Go Camping.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Lets Go Camping.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                      Lets Go Camping.

                    • rduck44@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Im glad I can go to "Farm and Fleet"  or "Fleet Farm"   and get any type of battery I need, designed and sold for the upper Midwest.
                        I think there are some serious "cabin fever" issues out there ,must be the time of the year..
                        Remember to reset those clocks tonight,,,,spring/summer will get here...

                        Doug
                        wisconsin hotrodford460Fleetwood

                      • RogerD
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                          You can also use a volt meter while cranking with the engine starter for 10-15 seconds. Ignition has to be disconnected, or use a remote starter switch with ignition off. Should not go below 9 volts for the test duration.

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lane <dieselburner@...> wrote:

                          > The only way that I know of to properly load test a battery is with a
                          > carbon pile load and a test of the individual cells with a hydrometer.
                          > Steve

                        • RogerD
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                            Miss not having the "farm & fleet" stores found in the Midwest! Nothing like that in most of the country. I am now near to the agricultural mega area in California that produces 60% of the produce for the country. The only things close are Tractor Supply stores that are very recent. Hill's Fleet Farm stores in Minnesota were as large as a Walmart Supercenter...10 times as large as Tractor Supply. They had their own automotive store, and the departments in the main store were as big as an independent business.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                              Roger; I feel for you. I know what you mean, but if you LOOK diligently you can still find reputable service centers.
                              The problem is that to many people just settle for less.

                              mainiac bill

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                                I was speaking more about general shopping at the "fleet & farm" stores more than just batteries. They are wonderstores that have all sorts of things you can't find elsewhere. As far as batteries are concerned, you should decide yourself where best to go. I would never again go to any place that only offers overpriced Interstate. Made that mistake going to National Tire & Battery, which used to sell Diehard. Could have gone to Sears for less, or to Walmart for even less.