need help with new battery

  • momma_lillian
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
      I have a 1975 dodge sportsman van establishment body RVI believe it has a 440 engine with bia727 tranny. I am trying to find out what battery is supposed to be in it. Some one put a marine battery in the engine. I'm guessing that it supposed to be the house battery.anyone have an idea of how to look it up on one of the parts stores web site.
    • John Sargent
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
        I would first measure the tray to Id the size of the battery that will fit on the tray, then measure the height available so you know what will fit, height wise.

        Then go autozone, Walmart or similiar and see what models of battery will fit your space.
        Buys the largest cranking amps battery that will fit in the space and your wallet and your preference for warranty length.

        Buy the post/ clamp tool, a couple bucks and clean the inside of the clamp with the wire brush end, then tighten the clamps on the posts, should be good to go.

        John in Tucson
        1989 Winn Lesharo LX

        Sent from my iPhone 4S, iOS 5
        Lets Do Video Chat or Face Time

        On Mar 8, 2013, at 9:57 AM, "momma_lillian" <lillianportman@...> wrote:

        > I have a 1975 dodge sportsman van establishment body RVI believe it has a 440 engine with bia727 tranny. I am trying to find out what battery is supposed to be in it. Some one put a marine battery in the engine. I'm guessing that it supposed to be the house battery.anyone have an idea of how to look it up on one of the parts stores web site.

      • Wncol2004
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
          The battery to run the engine is your typical automotive battery you can get at an auto parts store. I would suggest a 900 CCC or something in that range.
          House battery, best to use a true deep cycle battery. A marine is not quite a true deep cycle but it is better than an automotive battery for that use. Best I think would be, like, golf cart batteries. They do make them in 12 volt but 6 volt is more common so if you get the 6 volt, get two and hook em in series to get 12 volts.

          1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
          Sent from my iPad 2.

          On Mar 8, 2013, at 10:57 AM, "momma_lillian" <lillianportman@...> wrote:

          > I have a 1975 dodge sportsman van establishment body RVI believe it has a 440 engine with bia727 tranny. I am trying to find out what battery is supposed to be in it. Some one put a marine battery in the engine. I'm guessing that it supposed to be the house battery.anyone have an idea of how to look it up on one of the parts stores web site.

        • dusty titus
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
            You are right - the "marine" battery is a back-up for "house lights" - not to be used as regular starting battery.  You should be able to find your battery at any Pep Boys or other local auto parts store - they'll have the right one for you!

            Julie

            >________________________________

          • RogerD
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
              Like others have said here, a marine/starting battery may not be good enough for starting the big 440. Commonly seen though. Looked up a comparable vehicle using the Walmart Battery Finder, and it takes a Group 24 with 700 cca in the Maxx series. Their Group 24 Maxx marine/starting model is only 550 cca as a comparison.

              Are you sure this is the only battery in the coach? If so, I would recommend adding a battery somewhere with an isolator to the starting battery. Only needed if you dry camp more than very short periods.

              As suggested by another member, put in the biggest battery that will fit the tray. A Group 27 battery is 1.31" longer than a Group 24...may not fit. Some batteries in a given group size have a higher rating and price. 700 cca is average for a Group 24.

              Walmart is a pretty good deal for batteries. Made by Johnson Controls, who also make Diehard and Interstate.

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "momma_lillian" <lillianportman@...> wrote:

              > I have a 1975 dodge sportsman van establishment body RVI believe it has a 440 engine with bia727 tranny. I am trying to find out what battery is supposed to be in it. Some one put a marine battery in the engine. I'm guessing that it supposed to be the house battery.anyone have an idea of how to look it up on one of the parts stores web site.

            • lighthousemo at Wildwood
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                Walmart will not always replace faulty batteries. And they can have faulty
                batteries just like anyone else.

                Interstate may be more expensive but has a good return history . I am sure
                there are other battery companies with a good name as well. But what I am
                pointing out is get your battery from the company and not from a
                department store.
                Shirley

                On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                > Like others have said here, a marine/starting battery may not be good
                > enough for starting the big 440. Commonly seen though. Looked up a
                > comparable vehicle using the Walmart Battery Finder, and it takes a Group
                > 24 with 700 cca in the Maxx series. Their Group 24 Maxx marine/starting
                > model is only 550 cca as a comparison.
                >
                > Are you sure this is the only battery in the coach? If so, I would
                > recommend adding a battery somewhere with an isolator to the starting
                > battery. Only needed if you dry camp more than very short periods.
                >
                > As suggested by another member, put in the biggest battery that will fit
                > the tray. A Group 27 battery is 1.31" longer than a Group 24...may not fit.
                > Some batteries in a given group size have a higher rating and price. 700
                > cca is average for a Group 24.
                >
                > Walmart is a pretty good deal for batteries. Made by Johnson Controls, who
                > also make Diehard and Interstate.
                >

                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "momma_lillian" <lillianportman@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a 1975 dodge sportsman van establishment body RVI believe it has
                > a 440 engine with bia727 tranny. I am trying to find out what battery is
                > supposed to be in it. Some one put a marine battery in the engine. I'm
                > guessing that it supposed to be the house battery.anyone have an idea of
                > how to look it up on one of the parts stores web site.

              • Rob
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                  On the Vanagon lists Walmart batteries have a great reputation and
                  everyone reports having no problems exchanging a battery if it fails
                  with in the warranty time, even way into the warranty period (keep
                  the receipt so you can find it if you need it). As a plus there are
                  WMs almost everywhere.

                  Rob
                  vwrobb@...

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Only reason I mentioned it was because I used to buy for a fleet. Batteries
                    started failing, take them back within the year and they would charge them
                    and prove they charged up. It made no difference that the charge only
                    lasted an hour or two, as long as they showed a charge at the store they
                    would not replace the battery.
                    They lost our business.
                    Now it could have been the store- they certainly are not all the same.
                    But then I do not do business with Walmart any more as that is not the only
                    problem I have had with them.

                    On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:

                    > On the Vanagon lists Walmart batteries have a great reputation and
                    > everyone reports having no problems exchanging a battery if it fails
                    > with in the warranty time, even way into the warranty period (keep
                    > the receipt so you can find it if you need it). As a plus there are
                    > WMs almost everywhere.
                    >
                    > Rob
                    > vwrobb@...
                    >
                    > At 3/8/2013 03:28 PM,lighthousemo at Wildwood wrote:
                    > >
                    > >Walmart will not always replace faulty batteries. And they can have faulty
                    > >batteries just like anyone else.

                  • Bill Miller
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Batteries  for a fleet are far different than batteries for your camper or pick up truck. Batteries for a fleet would need to be commercial duty rated. Not the same animal as your car or truck/camper battery. To many people try to get by on the CHEAP with the wrong battery and then when the batteries fail they blame the company that they bought the wrong battery from.
                      Your SLAM at Wal-Mart's batteries is not fair.
                      You chose to buy the cheaper product and when it did not meet your needs you blame the company that sold you what you asked for.

                      Now if you told the person at Wal-Mart that you needed heavy duty batteries for a fleet and they sold you their cheapest battery, then you might have grounds to complain. That was not the case.

                      mainiac bill

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Our Walmart uses a hand held digital battery tester. If it says bad, they replace it if it is in warranty.
                        But, I choose to change to a different battery source due to the frequency of failures. I would get maybe one to one and a half years out of a battery and it would fail.
                        Switched to advanced auto and...sold the ole suburban 5 years later with the same battery still going strong. I vote, not Walmart. Due to lack of reliability.

                        On Mar 8, 2013, at 6:54 PM, lighthousemo at Wildwood <lighthousemo@...> wrote:

                        > Only reason I mentioned it was because I used to buy for a fleet. Batteries
                        > started failing, take them back within the year and they would charge them
                        > and prove they charged up. It made no difference that the charge only
                        > lasted an hour or two, as long as they showed a charge at the store they
                        > would not replace the battery.
                        > They lost our business.
                        > Now it could have been the store- they certainly are not all the same.
                        > But then I do not do business with Walmart any more as that is not the only
                        > problem I have had with them.
                        >
                        > On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > On the Vanagon lists Walmart batteries have a great reputation and
                        > > everyone reports having no problems exchanging a battery if it fails
                        > > with in the warranty time, even way into the warranty period (keep
                        > > the receipt so you can find it if you need it). As a plus there are
                        > > WMs almost everywhere.
                        > >
                        > > Rob
                        > > vwrobb@...
                        > >
                        > > At 3/8/2013 03:28 PM,lighthousemo at Wildwood wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > >Walmart will not always replace faulty batteries. And they can have faulty
                        > > >batteries just like anyone else.

                      • Steve Lane
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                          The only way that I know of to properly load test a battery is with a
                          carbon pile load and a test of the individual cells with a hydrometer.
                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                            A digital tester performs a set of tests using resistance and frequency responses I believe.
                            I can also judge CCA capacity with a reasonable accuracy.
                            Just connect it and start they tests.

                            My house batteries are, two 6 volt golf cart AGM batteries and are sealed. You can't get to any of the cells to test the fluid. Only way is to use a digital tester or just run em till they won't take a charge anymore. My batteries are also approved for use indoors.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                              The batteries I was buying were for car, truck, and heavy duty. I do not
                              believe in buying batteries that do not fit the vehicles that require the
                              battery.
                              You have now said that Walmart sells cheap batteries.
                              OK folks you want a good quality battery they are now labeled as cheap.
                              Oh at the time I was buying batteries 6-8 at a time they were Champion and
                              I did not say what kind of fleet I was buying for.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                I do not want to start any fights or arguments, but I do take offense when somebody, ANYBODY,unjustly defames any company because they were trying to get away with buying the wrong product on the cheap (inexpensive).
                                I can go to Wal-Mart  today and buy a battery for my 07 Explorer, for $89.00. I can also buy one there for $129.00. Both have the same warranty, both are made for my vehicle, both are the same physical size.
                                The less expensive battery will do the job, but up here in Maine , it may not hold up. If one fails prematurely it will be replaced.
                                 If, however, I suddenly start coming into the store every week or every few days with a failed battery, somebody is going to start questioning me, and what I am doing with those batteries.

                                If I am honest and tell them that I have a fleet of EXPLORERS THAT I USE FOR Taxis, or making deliveries, or whatever, I am going to be told that I bought the batteries under FALSE PRETENSES, and that the warranty is void.

                                I am NOT a fan of Wal-Mart; I hate the damned company, their economic policies suck. Their Personnel policies are discriminatory,they engage in unfair labor practices on a regular basis.

                                BUT , at the same time I do not want to see them unjustly accused of not honoring their warranty, when the whole story is not being told.

                                ________________________________
                                The batteries I was buying were for car, truck, and heavy duty. I do not
                                believe in buying batteries that do not fit the vehicles that require the
                                battery.
                                You have now said that Walmart sells cheap batteries.
                                OK folks you want a good quality battery they are now labeled as cheap.
                                Oh at the time I was buying batteries 6-8 at a time they were Champion and
                                I did not say what kind of fleet I was buying for.

                                On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                > Batteries for a fleet are far different than batteries for your camper or
                                > pick up truck. Batteries for a fleet would need to be commercial duty
                                > rated. Not the same animal as your car or truck/camper battery. To many
                                > people try to get by on the CHEAP with the wrong battery and then when the
                                > batteries fail they blame the company that they bought the wrong battery
                                > from.
                                > Your SLAM at Wal-Mart's batteries is not fair.
                                > You chose to buy the cheaper product and when it did not meet your needs
                                > you blame the company that sold you what you asked for.
                                >
                                > Now if you told the person at Wal-Mart that you needed heavy duty
                                > batteries for a fleet and they sold you their cheapest battery, then you
                                > might have grounds to complain. That was not the case.
                                >
                                > mainiac bill
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Robert Nicholas
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013

                                  Lets Go Camping.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                    Lets Go Camping.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                      Lets Go Camping.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                        Lets Go Camping.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                          Lets Go Camping.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                            Lets Go Camping.

                                          • rduck44@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                              Im glad I can go to "Farm and Fleet"  or "Fleet Farm"   and get any type of battery I need, designed and sold for the upper Midwest.
                                              I think there are some serious "cabin fever" issues out there ,must be the time of the year..
                                              Remember to reset those clocks tonight,,,,spring/summer will get here...

                                              Doug
                                              wisconsin hotrodford460Fleetwood

                                            • RogerD
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                                You can also use a volt meter while cranking with the engine starter for 10-15 seconds. Ignition has to be disconnected, or use a remote starter switch with ignition off. Should not go below 9 volts for the test duration.

                                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lane <dieselburner@...> wrote:

                                                > The only way that I know of to properly load test a battery is with a
                                                > carbon pile load and a test of the individual cells with a hydrometer.
                                                > Steve

                                              • RogerD
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                                  Miss not having the "farm & fleet" stores found in the Midwest! Nothing like that in most of the country. I am now near to the agricultural mega area in California that produces 60% of the produce for the country. The only things close are Tractor Supply stores that are very recent. Hill's Fleet Farm stores in Minnesota were as large as a Walmart Supercenter...10 times as large as Tractor Supply. They had their own automotive store, and the departments in the main store were as big as an independent business.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                                                    Roger; I feel for you. I know what you mean, but if you LOOK diligently you can still find reputable service centers.
                                                    The problem is that to many people just settle for less.

                                                    mainiac bill

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 10, 2013
                                                      I was speaking more about general shopping at the "fleet & farm" stores more than just batteries. They are wonderstores that have all sorts of things you can't find elsewhere. As far as batteries are concerned, you should decide yourself where best to go. I would never again go to any place that only offers overpriced Interstate. Made that mistake going to National Tire & Battery, which used to sell Diehard. Could have gone to Sears for less, or to Walmart for even less.