Re: Magic Chef oven won't stay on

  • RogerD
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
      Top and bottom pilots are lit separately and are both supplied by the thermostat. I use the top burners occasionally, and the oven very seldom. The way they made it is kind of lousy, as using the oven alone will feed gas to the top pilot. I have never used the top and bottom at the same time.

      Will see if the top pilot will light next time I use the stove top. Only do that once a week or so for longer cooking times and bigger pans or pots. Use a portable camp burner for smaller daily heating. I mostly use the range top cover down for more counter space. That 22" range is huge for this little 19' trailer! Only complaint is it would be much better if it vented outside. You would NOT want to use the oven on a hot day!

      Thanks again!

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

      > Almost always, calls regarding a propane odor were from an unlit oven pilot.
      >
      > Treat all gas odors with the due seriousness, but check that pilot first.
      > I've known of folks turning that knob accidentally just walking past, kids
      > playing with them etc.
      >
      > If you have not used you oven for a long time, it may take a while go get
      > gas thru to the pilot. Hold your lighter next to the pilot burner and turn
      > the temp up to 200+, this opens the 2nd stage and purges much faster.
      >
      > As long as you don't hold your flame to the mercury bulb, the main burner
      > will not come on.
      >
      > Some have a separate shut off valve for the stove top pilot, while others
      > have a "None or both" setup controlled by the thermostat knob.
      >
      > Some have no top pilot and you do have to light them each time!
      >
      > Glad you found what you were looking for. :)
      >
      > Todd.
      >

      > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM, RM <writeword1@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Roger, the white out pen would be useful to re-mark your stove burner
      > > knobs, too. It lasts a long time without coming off.
      > > --RM

    • RogerD
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
        It was really just the one area on the oven control knob showing Pilot Off that is worn. All you have to do is turn the knob all the way clockwise and it locks in there. Has to be depressed to turn to any active position, and there is no way to turn the knob by accident. All the other knob markings are OK. Thanks!

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "RM" <writeword1@...> wrote:

        > Roger, the white out pen would be useful to re-mark your stove burner knobs, too. It lasts a long time without coming off.
        > --RM

      • Mike VanPelt
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
          Elmer's, Krylon, and Sharpie make paint markers - Wally World and craft
          stores carry them. Opaque, glossy paint sticks to about anything and lasts
          far longer than White-out. Good for semi-permanent ID marking too.

          Mike

          "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
          you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

          "Dear Lord, please help me to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am" -
          bumper sticker

          Cindy & Mike VanPelt

          - Libby, Darcy, & Lucy

          Milwaukee, WI, USA

        • Dick
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
            Down here they use white nail polish for timing marks and other things. Nicaragua.
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

            > Elmer's, Krylon, and Sharpie make paint markers - Wally World and craft
            > stores carry them. Opaque, glossy paint sticks to about anything and lasts
            > far longer than White-out. Good for semi-permanent ID marking too.
            >

            > Mike

            > "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
            > you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
            >

            > "Dear Lord, please help me to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am" -
            > bumper sticker
            >
            > Cindy & Mike VanPelt
            >
            > - Libby, Darcy, & Lucy
            >
            > Milwaukee, WI, USA

          • D. Hammond
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
              Here's a question for you: Is it conceivable to take all the guts out of
              the oven and put a "counter top" toaster/convection oven inside? I know
              it has to have some clearance on a counter because it gets hot, but what
              about in an oven?

              Just brainstorming...

              D. Hammond

            • RogerD
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                Will not hurt the RV oven, but might "cook" the toaster/convection oven. Likely OK if you have the RV oven door open or removed. Problem is size. My 22" Magic Chef is only 17" wide inside the oven, and my trusty Oster toaster oven is 19". Only a small cheapie toaster oven would fit, and would not require removing anything. The cheapie ones don't cook very well.

                I have used toaster ovens for many years in RV's and houses, usually in conjunction with a microwave for defrost and pre-cooking. Lighting up a full size oven is very wasteful for some things. The ultimate might be a microwave/convection oven. These are large and expensive in comparison, but take up less space than two appliances. Neat if you have the room.

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

                > Here's a question for you: Is it conceivable to take all the guts out of
                > the oven and put a "counter top" toaster/convection oven inside? I know
                > it has to have some clearance on a counter because it gets hot, but what
                > about in an oven?
                >
                > Just brainstorming...
                >
                > D. Hammond

              • Bill Miller
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                  If it will fit inside the oven go for it. The only reason it needs space , is to dissipate the heat. But inside the oven cabinet they are made to take the heat.

                  mainiac bill

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
                    I think it would a bit difficult trying to Cook that way - but why not just use your oven to store appliances till you need them?  I pulled out the all the guts of my '73 Aristocrat trailer stove and oven and never worry about cooking inside - get an extra fold up table to accommodate electric appliances outside -

                    Dusty

                    >________________________________

                  • RogerD
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 24, 2013
                      A toaster oven small enough to fit inside most TV ovens is not going to get you much cooking utility...stored or used there. Small toaster ovens only heat small things without much control. I have a good one, and have used it every day for many years. Use outside? OK in balmy weather, but the pits when it is cold or stormy. I live full time in my trailer and would NOT want to go outside to warm something up!

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, dusty titus <dusty_titus@...> wrote:

                      > I think it would a bit difficult trying to Cook that way - but why not just use your oven to store appliances till you need them?  I pulled out the all the guts of my '73 Aristocrat trailer stove and oven and never worry about cooking inside - get an extra fold up table to accommodate electric appliances outside -
                      >
                      > Dusty
                      >

                      > >________________________________

                    • Dave S.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 24, 2013
                        We have one of those Cuisinart Griddlers, cooks steak, chops and chicken
                        in no time perfectly, can also be used for toasted sandwiches. Open it
                        flat and you can cook bacon and eggs and with the optional plates it's a
                        waffle maker. Almost eliminates the need for stove in an RV... <VBG>
                        Deep Freeze Dave.
                        On 2/24/2013 9:29 PM, RogerD wrote:
                        > A toaster oven small enough to fit inside most TV ovens is not going to get you much cooking utility...stored or used there. Small toaster ovens only heat small things without much control. I have a good one, and have used it every day for many years. Use outside? OK in balmy weather, but the pits when it is cold or stormy. I live full time in my trailer and would NOT want to go outside to warm something up!
                        >
                        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, dusty titus <dusty_titus@...> wrote:
                        >> I think it would a bit difficult trying to Cook that way - but why not just use your oven to store appliances till you need them? I pulled out the all the guts of my '73 Aristocrat trailer stove and oven and never worry about cooking inside - get an extra fold up table to accommodate electric appliances outside -
                        >>
                        >> Dusty

                        My Railroad picture pages are at
                        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
                        Miscellaneous other pictures are at