Re: [classicrv] Magic Chef oven won't stay on

  • D. Hammond
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
      In all cases, when the temperature is set on the control knob, after about
      2 minutes the burner comes on, then after reaching 200, the burner shuts
      off. Doesn't matter what the setting is, 350, 400, or broil. (The pilot
      light stays lit okay.)

      Pretty sure the thermostat is bad and from the online research I've done,
      it's not worth trying to fix.

      D.

      On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

      > So, you set the temp and the main burner comes on, then shuts off at 200,
      > but if you turn it up to broil after that, the burner comes on again, but
      > only for a while...or does it not come on if you turn it to broil after?
      >
      > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, D. Hammond <dhammondtx@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > In either case, the burner will come on, but only after about 2 minutes,
      > > then heat up to about 200 (bought a new oven thermometer to check it) and
      > > then the burner goes off and the stove cools.
      > >
      > > D.
      > >

      > > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Todd Barnard twbarnard@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > > Does the burner come on after that?

      > the

      > problems.
      > > > after a
      > > get
      > > suggestions.

    • Todd Barnard
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
        ok, now that I know its not coming on again, I agree, its the thermostat.

        They are pricey, and generally the ovens are the least used appliance on an
        RV. I've had units traded in that had never turned the oven on after
        delivery.

        They make good bread boxes tho!

      • Ted Kroll
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
          Sounds as if ur not getting enough gas
          or running out of gas.
          Ted
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
            Thanks, everyone. I was afraid it was the thermostat, but I thought I'd
            check it out here first. Time to get a new toaster oven!

            D.

          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
              My parents until fairly recently had a 1971 Terry with an old green Magic
              Chef oven. It actually didn't even have a pilot off setting on the knob.
              At some point, the pilot or its line broke or something and wouldn't burn
              and was leaking that small amount of gas rather than burning it...dad
              eventually found a shutoff valve under the top around the burners or
              somewhere...then pulled out what the could of the oven guts...then it did
              make a great bread box! The oven had actually quit working years ago. I
              remember begging for frozen pizza at the beach one year...then the oven gave
              up the ghost and we had to heat it up in a frying pan! Adventures in
              camping and improvising! :-)

              Wesley

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
                Perhaps worth checking gas pressure? Probably not a bad idea regardless...

                Wesley

                  Just for kicks and giggles , what is the model # of the magic Chef unit? I tried looking it up online through my many parts sources, but without a model # it is near impossible.
                  Thanks, Bill Miller

                  mainiac bill

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

                  > Just acquired an 83 Southwind and getting to know all the problems.
                  > Current one is the oven won't stay on. The pilot will light and after a
                  > while the burner will come on, but it won't stay on. It will only get up
                  > to about 200 degrees and then the burner shuts off. Any suggestions.
                  >
                  > D. Hammond

                • RogerD
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013
                    Nice explanation of how these stoves work Todd! Do you know how to identify the model? Mine has no visible tags or plates inside or outside. 1976 that still works perfectly, but would like to know the model.

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                    > Those old Magic Chefs had a 2 stage pilot, when you turned the oven knob ot
                    > the "PILOT" position you could light the primary pilot.
                    >
                    > Turning the knob to where it wants to heat the oven, causes the pilot to
                    > get bigger (2nd stage), and heats up a mercury bulb that opens a flame
                    > safety valve. This is what feeds gas to the main burner.
                    >
                    > Normally, the burner flame stays on until the thermostat senses the oven
                    > comes up to temp and shuts the main burner off.
                    >
                    > If the main burner is shutting off early, a few things could be going on.
                    >
                    > If the pilot goes out at the same time, this is usually and indication that
                    > the oven flame is running out of air. Try running it with the door and if
                    > it stays on indefinitely, then the oven is starving for air. Look for a
                    > blockage in the rectangular vent at the rear of the stove top...I've seen
                    > pot holders slide down the vent and block the flow of air thru the oven.
                    >
                    > If the pilot is dirty and weak, the draft created by the main burner coming
                    > on can pull it away from the mercury bulb and cause the main burner to shut
                    > down. Usually the pilot will once again heat up the bulb when the draft
                    > disappears, and the main burner will come on again....short cycling.
                    >
                    > If the pilot stays on and the burner does not come on again for a very long
                    > time, then the thermostat is likely to blame. They can sometimes be
                    > adjusted, but it may not be able to be adjusted high enough, and it may
                    > give too great a swing between being on and off.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps, Todd.
                    >

                    > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Does the pilot go out as well?
                    > >

                    > > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM, D. Hammond <dhammondtx@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> **
                    > >>

                    > >> Just acquired an 83 Southwind and getting to know all the problems.
                    > >> Current one is the oven won't stay on. The pilot will light and after a
                    > >> while the burner will come on, but it won't stay on. It will only get up
                    > >> to about 200 degrees and then the burner shuts off. Any suggestions.
                    > >>
                    > >> D. Hammond

                  • Todd Barnard
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Most ID tags were just under the cook top, lift the lid up and there is
                      usually a tag with the model stamped or printed on it.

                      Unfortunately, they can be hard to read if pots have boiled over and
                      deposited crud on them over the years.

                      A bright flashlight and some soapy water on a rag can help. :)

                    • RogerD
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
                        Thank you!!! Never had the top burner lid up before and the model/serial tag was very readable. Found a copy online of the original operating/parts/installation manual for the BT22G series. This exact model number can't be found, and differs from others in the series by not having a light. None of the appliances in this trailer have any electrical except the fridge for the 120V heating element.

                        Very informative
                        1. There are two pilot positions marked on the OVEN (thermostat) knob, which was not known because one was worn off. OFF is main burner off with pilots still lit. Knob will be in the 3-9 position. PILOT OFF is everything off. Knob is in the 4-10 position.
                        2. Did not know it had a top pilot - I just lit the burners manually.

                        Scary! Found the Pilot Off position first time use while trying to completely turn off the stove. There was no obvious pilot gas flow in the OFF position. Never hissed or smelled. It WILL light in that position as it should. The flame is very small, so my guess is the pilot flow was diluted with cabin air enough to make it unnoticeable and incombustible. Whew!

                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                        > Most ID tags were just under the cook top, lift the lid up and there is
                        > usually a tag with the model stamped or printed on it.
                        >
                        > Unfortunately, they can be hard to read if pots have boiled over and
                        > deposited crud on them over the years.
                        >
                        > A bright flashlight and some soapy water on a rag can help. :)
                        >
                        > On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Nice explanation of how these stoves work Todd! Do you know how to
                        > > identify the model? Mine has no visible tags or plates inside or outside.
                        > > 1976 that still works perfectly, but would like to know the model.
                        > >
                        > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Those old Magic Chefs had a 2 stage pilot, when you turned the oven knob
                        > > ot
                        > > > the "PILOT" position you could light the primary pilot.
                        > > >
                        > > > Turning the knob to where it wants to heat the oven, causes the pilot to
                        > > > get bigger (2nd stage), and heats up a mercury bulb that opens a flame
                        > > > safety valve. This is what feeds gas to the main burner.
                        > > >
                        > > > Normally, the burner flame stays on until the thermostat senses the oven
                        > > > comes up to temp and shuts the main burner off.
                        > > >
                        > > > If the main burner is shutting off early, a few things could be going on.
                        > > >
                        > > > If the pilot goes out at the same time, this is usually and indication
                        > > that
                        > > > the oven flame is running out of air. Try running it with the door and if
                        > > > it stays on indefinitely, then the oven is starving for air. Look for a
                        > > > blockage in the rectangular vent at the rear of the stove top...I've seen
                        > > > pot holders slide down the vent and block the flow of air thru the oven.
                        > > >
                        > > > If the pilot is dirty and weak, the draft created by the main burner
                        > > coming
                        > > > on can pull it away from the mercury bulb and cause the main burner to
                        > > shut
                        > > > down. Usually the pilot will once again heat up the bulb when the draft
                        > > > disappears, and the main burner will come on again....short cycling.
                        > > >
                        > > > If the pilot stays on and the burner does not come on again for a very
                        > > long
                        > > > time, then the thermostat is likely to blame. They can sometimes be
                        > > > adjusted, but it may not be able to be adjusted high enough, and it may
                        > > > give too great a swing between being on and off.
                        > > >
                        > > > Hope this helps, Todd.
                      • RM
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
                          Roger, the white out pen would be useful to re-mark your stove burner knobs, too. It lasts a long time without coming off.
                          --RM

                        • Todd Barnard
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
                            Almost always, calls regarding a propane odor were from an unlit oven pilot.

                            Treat all gas odors with the due seriousness, but check that pilot first.
                            I've known of folks turning that knob accidentally just walking past, kids
                            playing with them etc.

                            If you have not used you oven for a long time, it may take a while go get
                            gas thru to the pilot. Hold your lighter next to the pilot burner and turn
                            the temp up to 200+, this opens the 2nd stage and purges much faster.

                            As long as you don't hold your flame to the mercury bulb, the main burner
                            will not come on.

                            Some have a separate shut off valve for the stove top pilot, while others
                            have a "None or both" setup controlled by the thermostat knob.

                            Some have no top pilot and you do have to light them each time!

                            Glad you found what you were looking for. :)

                            Todd.

                            On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM, RM <writeword1@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Roger, the white out pen would be useful to re-mark your stove burner
                            > knobs, too. It lasts a long time without coming off.
                            > --RM

                          • RogerD
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
                              Top and bottom pilots are lit separately and are both supplied by the thermostat. I use the top burners occasionally, and the oven very seldom. The way they made it is kind of lousy, as using the oven alone will feed gas to the top pilot. I have never used the top and bottom at the same time.

                              Will see if the top pilot will light next time I use the stove top. Only do that once a week or so for longer cooking times and bigger pans or pots. Use a portable camp burner for smaller daily heating. I mostly use the range top cover down for more counter space. That 22" range is huge for this little 19' trailer! Only complaint is it would be much better if it vented outside. You would NOT want to use the oven on a hot day!

                              Thanks again!

                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                              > Almost always, calls regarding a propane odor were from an unlit oven pilot.
                              >
                              > Treat all gas odors with the due seriousness, but check that pilot first.
                              > I've known of folks turning that knob accidentally just walking past, kids
                              > playing with them etc.
                              >
                              > If you have not used you oven for a long time, it may take a while go get
                              > gas thru to the pilot. Hold your lighter next to the pilot burner and turn
                              > the temp up to 200+, this opens the 2nd stage and purges much faster.
                              >
                              > As long as you don't hold your flame to the mercury bulb, the main burner
                              > will not come on.
                              >
                              > Some have a separate shut off valve for the stove top pilot, while others
                              > have a "None or both" setup controlled by the thermostat knob.
                              >
                              > Some have no top pilot and you do have to light them each time!
                              >
                              > Glad you found what you were looking for. :)
                              >
                              > Todd.
                              >

                              > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM, RM <writeword1@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Roger, the white out pen would be useful to re-mark your stove burner
                              > > knobs, too. It lasts a long time without coming off.
                              > > --RM

                            • RogerD
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
                                It was really just the one area on the oven control knob showing Pilot Off that is worn. All you have to do is turn the knob all the way clockwise and it locks in there. Has to be depressed to turn to any active position, and there is no way to turn the knob by accident. All the other knob markings are OK. Thanks!

                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "RM" <writeword1@...> wrote:

                                > Roger, the white out pen would be useful to re-mark your stove burner knobs, too. It lasts a long time without coming off.
                                > --RM

                              • Mike VanPelt
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 18, 2013
                                  Elmer's, Krylon, and Sharpie make paint markers - Wally World and craft
                                  stores carry them. Opaque, glossy paint sticks to about anything and lasts
                                  far longer than White-out. Good for semi-permanent ID marking too.

                                  Mike

                                  "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
                                  you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

                                  "Dear Lord, please help me to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am" -
                                  bumper sticker

                                  Cindy & Mike VanPelt

                                  - Libby, Darcy, & Lucy

                                  Milwaukee, WI, USA

                                • Dick
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
                                    Down here they use white nail polish for timing marks and other things. Nicaragua.
                                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

                                    > Elmer's, Krylon, and Sharpie make paint markers - Wally World and craft
                                    > stores carry them. Opaque, glossy paint sticks to about anything and lasts
                                    > far longer than White-out. Good for semi-permanent ID marking too.
                                    >

                                    > Mike

                                    > "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
                                    > you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
                                    >

                                    > "Dear Lord, please help me to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am" -
                                    > bumper sticker
                                    >
                                    > Cindy & Mike VanPelt
                                    >
                                    > - Libby, Darcy, & Lucy
                                    >
                                    > Milwaukee, WI, USA

                                  • D. Hammond
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                                      Here's a question for you: Is it conceivable to take all the guts out of
                                      the oven and put a "counter top" toaster/convection oven inside? I know
                                      it has to have some clearance on a counter because it gets hot, but what
                                      about in an oven?

                                      Just brainstorming...

                                      D. Hammond

                                    • RogerD
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                                        Will not hurt the RV oven, but might "cook" the toaster/convection oven. Likely OK if you have the RV oven door open or removed. Problem is size. My 22" Magic Chef is only 17" wide inside the oven, and my trusty Oster toaster oven is 19". Only a small cheapie toaster oven would fit, and would not require removing anything. The cheapie ones don't cook very well.

                                        I have used toaster ovens for many years in RV's and houses, usually in conjunction with a microwave for defrost and pre-cooking. Lighting up a full size oven is very wasteful for some things. The ultimate might be a microwave/convection oven. These are large and expensive in comparison, but take up less space than two appliances. Neat if you have the room.

                                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

                                        > Here's a question for you: Is it conceivable to take all the guts out of
                                        > the oven and put a "counter top" toaster/convection oven inside? I know
                                        > it has to have some clearance on a counter because it gets hot, but what
                                        > about in an oven?
                                        >
                                        > Just brainstorming...
                                        >
                                        > D. Hammond

                                      • Bill Miller
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                                          If it will fit inside the oven go for it. The only reason it needs space , is to dissipate the heat. But inside the oven cabinet they are made to take the heat.

                                          mainiac bill

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
                                            I think it would a bit difficult trying to Cook that way - but why not just use your oven to store appliances till you need them?  I pulled out the all the guts of my '73 Aristocrat trailer stove and oven and never worry about cooking inside - get an extra fold up table to accommodate electric appliances outside -

                                            Dusty

                                            >________________________________

                                          • RogerD
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 24, 2013
                                              A toaster oven small enough to fit inside most TV ovens is not going to get you much cooking utility...stored or used there. Small toaster ovens only heat small things without much control. I have a good one, and have used it every day for many years. Use outside? OK in balmy weather, but the pits when it is cold or stormy. I live full time in my trailer and would NOT want to go outside to warm something up!

                                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, dusty titus <dusty_titus@...> wrote:

                                              > I think it would a bit difficult trying to Cook that way - but why not just use your oven to store appliances till you need them?  I pulled out the all the guts of my '73 Aristocrat trailer stove and oven and never worry about cooking inside - get an extra fold up table to accommodate electric appliances outside -
                                              >
                                              > Dusty
                                              >

                                              > >________________________________

                                            • Dave S.
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 24, 2013
                                                We have one of those Cuisinart Griddlers, cooks steak, chops and chicken
                                                in no time perfectly, can also be used for toasted sandwiches. Open it
                                                flat and you can cook bacon and eggs and with the optional plates it's a
                                                waffle maker. Almost eliminates the need for stove in an RV... <VBG>
                                                Deep Freeze Dave.
                                                On 2/24/2013 9:29 PM, RogerD wrote:
                                                > A toaster oven small enough to fit inside most TV ovens is not going to get you much cooking utility...stored or used there. Small toaster ovens only heat small things without much control. I have a good one, and have used it every day for many years. Use outside? OK in balmy weather, but the pits when it is cold or stormy. I live full time in my trailer and would NOT want to go outside to warm something up!
                                                >
                                                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, dusty titus <dusty_titus@...> wrote:
                                                >> I think it would a bit difficult trying to Cook that way - but why not just use your oven to store appliances till you need them? I pulled out the all the guts of my '73 Aristocrat trailer stove and oven and never worry about cooking inside - get an extra fold up table to accommodate electric appliances outside -
                                                >>
                                                >> Dusty

                                                My Railroad picture pages are at
                                                www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
                                                Miscellaneous other pictures are at