Re: [classicrv] Re: thoughts needed on furnace issue

  • Wncol2004
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 9, 2013
      Also, if you fill the tank when it is 10 below then try to use it when it is 50 above...that could cause issues to. I believe that was part of my issue, it was SO cold that day I had em filled. The propane was more dense. And their weight scales were not working. They didnt use it. They pumped propane into the tanks till the bleed vales started letting liquid out. They were also having issues with the auto cut off on the OPD valves. If the person filling my tanks were trained properly they would have refused to fill without the scales working,

      1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
      Sent from my iPad 2.

      On Feb 9, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:

      > If you open the bleed valve the tank should have the correct amount
      > when the liquid starts to come out... if the bleed valve doesn't work
      > you should fix/replace it.
      >
      > The only time a scale might be better than a gallon meter is IF the
      > tank is not empty and IF the bleed valve doesn't work. Other than
      > that you watch the bleed valve & the gauge/scale, if you put 5
      > gallons in a tank that is supposed to hold 4 you have a problem.
      >
      > Rob
      > vwrobb@...
      >
      > At 2/8/2013 08:33 PM,Wesley Furr wrote:
      > >

      > >Wow...that is impressive. Idiocy knows no bounds! :-) I guess that is
      > >another reason for me to keep going to a local RV place that fills the tank
      > >by putting it on a scale. Of course they will still fill the old style
      > >tanks too, so I guess a scale is a must!
      > >
      > >Wesley

    • Sirrobyn0
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 12, 2013
        I thought I would give everyone a quick update on the furnace issue. With Todd coaching me I am in the process of replacing the blower motor, actually the blower motor is installed and the furnace is reassembled. I damaged the vent assembly removing it since it had 35 years of rust and corrosion, it didn't want to come apart. So once the vent assembly gets here I will be reinstalling and testing the furnace. And this will cost me about $100.00 for the blower and the vent, so I'm very happy with the cost.

        And a big thank you to Todd for walking me though it, I have gained a lot of knowledge in the furnace department.

        I'll let everyone know how it works out in the end.

        Rob

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Warren wrote:

> [...]
        > ignite...due to propane pressure was to low. Adjusted the regulator and it
        > works fine...then it failed again only to find my regulator is bad.
        > Pressure to low again. Over time I have had to adjust the regulator about
        > 3 or 4 times. That is why I know it is bad. Just won't hold a constant
        > pressure. All other appliances work just fine but the furnace, by design,
        > is sensitive to improper propane pressure.
        > Got a new regulator, just haven't put it in yet. Hope to do that in the
        > next few weeks.
        >

        > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Sirrobyn0 wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I understand the down falls of moving it but I also understand the down
        > > falls of leaving it in its current location.
        > >
        > > I think at this point my plan is going start with removing the old furnace
        > > and inspecting it. If all it needs is a blower then I'll replace it if I
        > > can find a replacement. If it has other problems or I can't come up with a
        > > blower then it will be replacement and debate the possibility of moving it.
        > >
        > > I'm not to into the idea of a used unit myself, I've already got a 35 year
        > > old unit now. I think if it comes down to replacement I'll opt for new
        > > unless I simply cannot afford it. If it does come to replacement it would
        > > be nice to have an electronic ignition type and maybe a unit that is a bit
        > > more efficient.
        > >
        > > So well see what happens after I get the furnace out and see if it is
        > > salvageable or not.
        > >
        > > Rob
        > >

        > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Warren wrote:
        > > >
        > > > consider hunting down a used unit that fits the same spot.
        > > > I got my ole 1970s furnace for my RV for just a few bucks, the whole
        > > thing,
        > > > and it works great.
        > > > Mounted it in my 1953 Airstream.
        > > > Some day I expect it will fail and have to be replaced. Probably opt for
        > > > the same...used one from a salvaged RV.
        > > >
        > > > Moving it to another spot can be a bit lengthy. Have to install the
        > > propane
        > > > lines and 12 volt wires as well as find a spot for it to fit into.

        > > went
        > > home is
        > > that
        > > noise

        > > until

        > > right
        > > is.
        > > left

        > > wall

        > > > --
        > > > Warren
        > > > 1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
        > > > pickup (Sam)
        > > > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
        > > > Western KY

        > --
        > Warren
        > 1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
        > pickup (Sam)
        > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)

      • Wncol2004
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 13, 2013
          Congrats on your low cost fix. :)

          On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:47 AM, "Sirrobyn0" <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > more efficient.
          > > >
          > > > So well see what happens after I get the furnace out and see if it is
          > > > salvageable or not.
          > > >
          > > > Rob

          > > > thing,

          > > > propane

          > > > went
          > > > home is
          > > > that
          > > > noise

          > > > until

          > > > right
          > > > is.
          > > > left

          > > > wall

          > > --
          > > Warren
          > > 1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
          > > pickup (Sam)
          > > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)

        • Dave S.
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 13, 2013
            Rob,
            Todd is a great guy, helped me through a couple of issues with my
            trailer too.
            Boy am I glad he doesn't charge for his help.. LOL
            Deep Freeze Dave

            My Railroad picture pages are at
            www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
            Miscellaneous other pictures are at