thoughts needed on furnace issue

  • Sirrobyn0
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
      With my late winter camping trip coming up about a month from now I went out to the old rv over this weekend and discovered that the furnace is acting up I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My motor home is 1977 dodge flair class c. The furnace is a duo therm. The problem is that the blower fan has gone out it spins a little bit and makes a lot of noise but doesn't really blow any air.

      I have found a blower motor that might work for a replacement but since duo therm parts haven't been made in years it is hard to say for sure until I order it and it gets here will set me back about $125

      The one thing I have never liked about the furnace is it is on the right side of the rv so the exhaust dumps into the area where our add a room is. Maybe now is a good time to buy a new furnace and install it on the left side so it exhausts on the opposite side.

      What I am hoping for is a little feedback here.

      Is the old duo therm worth putting a motor in if I can find one?

      Would I be better off in the long run to replace the furnace with a new unit that would have things like electric start and no standing pilot light? And would be new and reliable?

      Would it be worth my time and energy to move the furnace to the other wall to avoid exhaust emissions in the add a room area?

      I am open to any thoughts

      Thanks
      Rob
    • Todd Barnard
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
        Hi Rob, is it a 659 series Doutherm? Pilot or electronic ignition?

        I loved the 659s...they were a pain in the ass to work on, however,
        changing a motor is not the hardest of tricks.

        You can email directly if you like.
        twbarnard@...

        On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Sirrobyn0 <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > With my late winter camping trip coming up about a month from now I went
        > out to the old rv over this weekend and discovered that the furnace is
        > acting up I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My motor home is
        > 1977 dodge flair class c. The furnace is a duo therm. The problem is that
        > the blower fan has gone out it spins a little bit and makes a lot of noise
        > but doesn't really blow any air.
        >
        > I have found a blower motor that might work for a replacement but since
        > duo therm parts haven't been made in years it is hard to say for sure until
        > I order it and it gets here will set me back about $125
        >
        > The one thing I have never liked about the furnace is it is on the right
        > side of the rv so the exhaust dumps into the area where our add a room is.
        > Maybe now is a good time to buy a new furnace and install it on the left
        > side so it exhausts on the opposite side.
        >
        > What I am hoping for is a little feedback here.
        >
        > Is the old duo therm worth putting a motor in if I can find one?
        >
        > Would I be better off in the long run to replace the furnace with a new
        > unit that would have things like electric start and no standing pilot
        > light? And would be new and reliable?
        >
        > Would it be worth my time and energy to move the furnace to the other wall
        > to avoid exhaust emissions in the add a room area?
        >
        > I am open to any thoughts
        >
        > Thanks
        > Rob

      • Sirrobyn0
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
          I don't know the model number off hand but it is the pilot type.

          Rob

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard wrote:

          > Hi Rob, is it a 659 series Doutherm? Pilot or electronic ignition?
          >
          > I loved the 659s...they were a pain in the ass to work on, however,
          > changing a motor is not the hardest of tricks.
          >
          > You can email directly if you like.
          > twbarnard@...
          >
          > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Sirrobyn0 wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > With my late winter camping trip coming up about a month from now I went
          > > out to the old rv over this weekend and discovered that the furnace is
          > > acting up I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My motor home is
          > > 1977 dodge flair class c. The furnace is a duo therm. The problem is that
          > > the blower fan has gone out it spins a little bit and makes a lot of noise
          > > but doesn't really blow any air.
          > >
          > > I have found a blower motor that might work for a replacement but since
          > > duo therm parts haven't been made in years it is hard to say for sure until
          > > I order it and it gets here will set me back about $125
          > >
          > > The one thing I have never liked about the furnace is it is on the right
          > > side of the rv so the exhaust dumps into the area where our add a room is.
          > > Maybe now is a good time to buy a new furnace and install it on the left
          > > side so it exhausts on the opposite side.
          > >
          > > What I am hoping for is a little feedback here.
          > >
          > > Is the old duo therm worth putting a motor in if I can find one?
          > >
          > > Would I be better off in the long run to replace the furnace with a new
          > > unit that would have things like electric start and no standing pilot
          > > light? And would be new and reliable?
          > >
          > > Would it be worth my time and energy to move the furnace to the other wall
          > > to avoid exhaust emissions in the add a room area?
          > >
          > > I am open to any thoughts
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Rob

        • Todd Barnard
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
            Does it have two separate round exhaust vents outside?

          • Sirrobyn0
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
              No it has one opening.
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard wrote:

              > Does it have two separate round exhaust vents outside?
              >
              > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Sirrobyn0 wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I don't know the model number off hand but it is the pilot type.
              > >
              > > Rob
              > >
              > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Rob, is it a 659 series Doutherm? Pilot or electronic ignition?
              > > >
              > > > I loved the 659s...they were a pain in the ass to work on, however,
              > > > changing a motor is not the hardest of tricks.
              > > >
              > > > You can email directly if you like.
              > > > twbarnard@

              > > went
              > > home is
              > > that
              > > noise

              > > until

              > > right
              > > is.
              > > left

              > > wall

            • Warren
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
                consider hunting down a used unit that fits the same spot.
                I got my ole 1970s furnace for my RV for just a few bucks, the whole thing,
                and it works great.
                Mounted it in my 1953 Airstream.
                Some day I expect it will fail and have to be replaced. Probably opt for
                the same...used one from a salvaged RV.

                Moving it to another spot can be a bit lengthy. Have to install the propane
                lines and 12 volt wires as well as find a spot for it to fit into.

                On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Sirrobyn0 <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > With my late winter camping trip coming up about a month from now I went
                > out to the old rv over this weekend and discovered that the furnace is
                > acting up I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My motor home is
                > 1977 dodge flair class c. The furnace is a duo therm. The problem is that
                > the blower fan has gone out it spins a little bit and makes a lot of noise
                > but doesn't really blow any air.
                >
                > I have found a blower motor that might work for a replacement but since
                > duo therm parts haven't been made in years it is hard to say for sure until
                > I order it and it gets here will set me back about $125
                >
                > The one thing I have never liked about the furnace is it is on the right
                > side of the rv so the exhaust dumps into the area where our add a room is.
                > Maybe now is a good time to buy a new furnace and install it on the left
                > side so it exhausts on the opposite side.
                >
                > What I am hoping for is a little feedback here.
                >
                > Is the old duo therm worth putting a motor in if I can find one?
                >
                > Would I be better off in the long run to replace the furnace with a new
                > unit that would have things like electric start and no standing pilot
                > light? And would be new and reliable?
                >
                > Would it be worth my time and energy to move the furnace to the other wall
                > to avoid exhaust emissions in the add a room area?
                >
                > I am open to any thoughts
                >
                > Thanks
                > Rob

                1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
                pickup (Sam)

              • Sirrobyn0
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
                  I understand the down falls of moving it but I also understand the down falls of leaving it in its current location.

                  I think at this point my plan is going start with removing the old furnace and inspecting it. If all it needs is a blower then I'll replace it if I can find a replacement. If it has other problems or I can't come up with a blower then it will be replacement and debate the possibility of moving it.

                  I'm not to into the idea of a used unit myself, I've already got a 35 year old unit now. I think if it comes down to replacement I'll opt for new unless I simply cannot afford it. If it does come to replacement it would be nice to have an electronic ignition type and maybe a unit that is a bit more efficient.

                  So well see what happens after I get the furnace out and see if it is salvageable or not.

                  Rob

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Warren wrote:

                  > consider hunting down a used unit that fits the same spot.
                  > I got my ole 1970s furnace for my RV for just a few bucks, the whole thing,
                  > and it works great.
                  > Mounted it in my 1953 Airstream.
                  > Some day I expect it will fail and have to be replaced. Probably opt for
                  > the same...used one from a salvaged RV.
                  >
                  > Moving it to another spot can be a bit lengthy. Have to install the propane
                  > lines and 12 volt wires as well as find a spot for it to fit into.
                  >

                  > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Sirrobyn0 wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > With my late winter camping trip coming up about a month from now I went
                  > > out to the old rv over this weekend and discovered that the furnace is
                  > > acting up I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My motor home is
                  > > 1977 dodge flair class c. The furnace is a duo therm. The problem is that
                  > > the blower fan has gone out it spins a little bit and makes a lot of noise
                  > > but doesn't really blow any air.
                  > >
                  > > I have found a blower motor that might work for a replacement but since
                  > > duo therm parts haven't been made in years it is hard to say for sure until
                  > > I order it and it gets here will set me back about $125
                  > >
                  > > The one thing I have never liked about the furnace is it is on the right
                  > > side of the rv so the exhaust dumps into the area where our add a room is.
                  > > Maybe now is a good time to buy a new furnace and install it on the left
                  > > side so it exhausts on the opposite side.
                  > >
                  > > What I am hoping for is a little feedback here.
                  > >
                  > > Is the old duo therm worth putting a motor in if I can find one?
                  > >
                  > > Would I be better off in the long run to replace the furnace with a new
                  > > unit that would have things like electric start and no standing pilot
                  > > light? And would be new and reliable?
                  > >
                  > > Would it be worth my time and energy to move the furnace to the other wall
                  > > to avoid exhaust emissions in the add a room area?
                  > >
                  > > I am open to any thoughts
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Rob
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Warren
                  > 1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
                  > pickup (Sam)
                  > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
                  > Western KY

                • Jerry Boone
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
                    In the past couple years, I've had great luck dealing with Arizona RV Salvage. They've saved me a couple of time on parts for a Carter awning, which hasn't been produced in close to 20 years.

                    www.azrvinc.com

                    I found the prices very reasonable and the folks there seem to really know their stuff.

                    (I have no interest in the business, beyond being a very happy customer)

                    -- boone
                    '89 Ultrastar 28'#AOLMsgPart_1_0b82ce0f-65e3-4d53-8ef7-56d1d17bbb5e td{color: black;}

                    Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.
                    - Italian Proverb

                  • Sirrobyn0
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
                      Happy customers are always the best referrals, they will be my first contact if I need to go with used.
                      Thanks for the refural

                      Rob

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Boone wrote:

                      > In the past couple years, I've had great luck dealing with Arizona RV Salvage. They've saved me a couple of time on parts for a Carter awning, which hasn't been produced in close to 20 years.
                      >
                      > www.azrvinc.com
                      >
                      > I found the prices very reasonable and the folks there seem to really know their stuff.
                      >
                      > (I have no interest in the business, beyond being a very happy customer)
                      >
                      > -- boone
                      > '89 Ultrastar 28'#AOLMsgPart_1_0b82ce0f-65e3-4d53-8ef7-56d1d17bbb5e td{color: black;}
                      >

                      > Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.
                      > - Italian Proverb

                    • Bill Miller
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 4, 2013
                        Don't know if you are members of the Good Sam Club or not, but if so, they seem to have some great discounts for their members. I would check them out, the amount you pay for membership, might be what you could save on a new furnace.

                        mainiac bill

                        ________________________________
> [...]

                        > > side so it exhausts on the opposite side.
                        > >
                        > > What I am hoping for is a little feedback here.
                        > >
                        > > Is the old duo therm worth putting a motor in if I can find one?
                        > >
                        > > Would I be better off in the long run to replace the furnace with a new
                        > > unit that would have things like electric start and no standing pilot
                        > > light? And would be new and reliable?
                        > >
                        > > Would it be worth my time and energy to move the furnace to the other wall
                        > > to avoid exhaust emissions in the add a room area?
                        > >
                        > > I am open to any thoughts
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > > Rob
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Warren
                        > 1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
                        > pickup (Sam)
                        > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)

                      • Sirrobyn0
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 5, 2013
                          Yea we are God Sam members I kind of forget about it though thanks for the reminder

                          Rob

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller wrote:

                          > Don't know if you are members of the Good Sam Club or not, but if so, they seem to have some great discounts for their members. I would check them out, the amount you pay for membership, might be what you could save on a new furnace.
                          >
                          > mainiac bill
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Warren
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 8, 2013
                            I can understand the desire for a new furnace if necessary. Parts
                            availability and warranty.
                            But, my budget wouldn't allow for a new furnace, so..... i opted for used
                            that worked.

                            From what I understand. The furnace technology has not changed much in the
                            last 40 years.
                            My old furnace from the 70s...has an electronic ignition. No pilot light.
                            it works great....for now. Only issue I have had was when it would not
                            ignite...due to propane pressure was to low. Adjusted the regulator and it
                            works fine...then it failed again only to find my regulator is bad.
                            Pressure to low again. Over time I have had to adjust the regulator about
                            3 or 4 times. That is why I know it is bad. Just won't hold a constant
                            pressure. All other appliances work just fine but the furnace, by design,
                            is sensitive to improper propane pressure.
                            Got a new regulator, just haven't put it in yet. Hope to do that in the
                            next few weeks.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 8, 2013
                              Warren, are you using a manometer to test the reg?
                              You really need too.

                              Todd

                            • Warren
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 8, 2013
                                Yes, I did use a manometer. Built it my self. Found I was running at 9
                                inches or below instead of 11.
                                And it keeps dropping back down a few weeks after I have adjusted it. And
                                cold weather seams to make it worse.
                                Time for new regulator.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 8, 2013
                                  I would definitely replace it, sounds like its full of paraffin. Any flex
                                  hoses running to and from the reg should at least be cleaned out too.

                                  Paraffin can build up in them and give fluctuation in pressure, but a solid
                                  drop would indicate the reg. This paraffin will usually liquify and drain
                                  out if you hang them up in direct sunlight on a warmer day.

                                  And, yes! Manometers are a pretty easy build and much needed for safety!

                                  http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html

                                  Google manometer and youtube and you'll find some pressure and leak
                                  tutorials.

                                  I need to build one myself to calibrate my dial type

                                • Warren
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 8, 2013
                                    I do know the regulator has not been right since some ditz overfilled my
                                    tanks. And my tanks have the over fill protection but he managed to
                                    overfill em anyway.
                                    ended up with liquid propane in my regulator. Probably froze the diaphragm.
                                    I had to bleed off the tanks my self. Vented for quite a bit before liquid
                                    stopped coming out. that was a few years ago. Had em used up and refilled
                                    since. They are mostly empty now and ready for a new filling. may fill em
                                    before i put the new regulator on just in case I bump into another ditz.
                                    When I get around to installing the new regulator. I will drain the lines
                                    (Flex hoses) as well. Gotta wait for a nice warm day to do that.
                                    been to cold for it lately.

                                  • Wesley Furr
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 8, 2013
                                      Wow...that is impressive. Idiocy knows no bounds! :-) I guess that is
                                      another reason for me to keep going to a local RV place that fills the tank
                                      by putting it on a scale. Of course they will still fill the old style
                                      tanks too, so I guess a scale is a must!

                                      Wesley

                                      I do know the regulator has not been right since some ditz overfilled my
                                      tanks. And my tanks have the over fill protection but he managed to
                                      overfill em anyway.
                                      ended up with liquid propane in my regulator. Probably froze the diaphragm.
                                      I had to bleed off the tanks my self. Vented for quite a bit before liquid
                                      stopped coming out. that was a few years ago. Had em used up and refilled
                                      since. They are mostly empty now and ready for a new filling. may fill em
                                      before i put the new regulator on just in case I bump into another ditz.
                                      When I get around to installing the new regulator. I will drain the lines
                                      (Flex hoses) as well. Gotta wait for a nice warm day to do that.
                                      been to cold for it lately.
                                    • Wncol2004
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 9, 2013
                                        A scale is a must, best if they have a scale AND a gallon meter.
                                        But most important, is the knowledge on how to use em.
                                        And knowing your self. My first fill, I knew nothing about it. Neither did the ditz. Apparently, he was not suppose to be filling tanks. Wasn't properly trained. But no one told him that. Now I know better.
                                        They should note the tar weight of the tank, then check its current weight, then they know how many lbs to put in to achieve max weight. And if they have a gallon meter. They have a chart to tell em how many gallons they can put in from the lbs it will take to fill it up.

                                        The local RV dealer, ain't so local. I did use the local COOP but, that is where I found the ditz.
                                        So, never going back there.
                                        I did find the local Tractor Supply Company store. They have a scale, and a gallon meter. And someone that has a good idea on how to use it properly. So, I will use them again.

                                        1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                                        Sent from my iPad 2.

                                        On Feb 8, 2013, at 9:33 PM, "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> wrote:

                                        > Wow...that is impressive. Idiocy knows no bounds! :-) I guess that is
                                        > another reason for me to keep going to a local RV place that fills the tank
                                        > by putting it on a scale. Of course they will still fill the old style
                                        > tanks too, so I guess a scale is a must!
                                        >
                                        > Wesley

                                      • Rob
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 9, 2013
                                          If you open the bleed valve the tank should have the correct amount
                                          when the liquid starts to come out... if the bleed valve doesn't work
                                          you should fix/replace it.

                                          The only time a scale might be better than a gallon meter is IF the
                                          tank is not empty and IF the bleed valve doesn't work. Other than
                                          that you watch the bleed valve & the gauge/scale, if you put 5
                                          gallons in a tank that is supposed to hold 4 you have a problem.

                                          Rob
                                          vwrobb@...

                                          At 2/8/2013 08:33 PM,Wesley Furr wrote:

                                          >Wow...that is impressive. Idiocy knows no bounds! :-) I guess that is
                                          >another reason for me to keep going to a local RV place that fills the tank
                                          >by putting it on a scale. Of course they will still fill the old style
                                          >tanks too, so I guess a scale is a must!
                                          >
                                          >Wesley

                                        • Rob

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 9, 2013
                                              Also, if you fill the tank when it is 10 below then try to use it when it is 50 above...that could cause issues to. I believe that was part of my issue, it was SO cold that day I had em filled. The propane was more dense. And their weight scales were not working. They didnt use it. They pumped propane into the tanks till the bleed vales started letting liquid out. They were also having issues with the auto cut off on the OPD valves. If the person filling my tanks were trained properly they would have refused to fill without the scales working,

                                              On Feb 9, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Rob <vwrobb@...> wrote:

                                              > If you open the bleed valve the tank should have the correct amount
                                              > when the liquid starts to come out... if the bleed valve doesn't work
                                              > you should fix/replace it.
                                              >
                                              > The only time a scale might be better than a gallon meter is IF the
                                              > tank is not empty and IF the bleed valve doesn't work. Other than
                                              > that you watch the bleed valve & the gauge/scale, if you put 5
                                              > gallons in a tank that is supposed to hold 4 you have a problem.
                                              >
                                              > Rob
                                              > vwrobb@...
                                              >
                                              > At 2/8/2013 08:33 PM,Wesley Furr wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > >Wow...that is impressive. Idiocy knows no bounds! :-) I guess that is
                                              > >another reason for me to keep going to a local RV place that fills the tank
                                              > >by putting it on a scale. Of course they will still fill the old style
                                              > >tanks too, so I guess a scale is a must!
                                              > >
                                              > >Wesley

                                            • Sirrobyn0
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 12, 2013
                                                I thought I would give everyone a quick update on the furnace issue. With Todd coaching me I am in the process of replacing the blower motor, actually the blower motor is installed and the furnace is reassembled. I damaged the vent assembly removing it since it had 35 years of rust and corrosion, it didn't want to come apart. So once the vent assembly gets here I will be reinstalling and testing the furnace. And this will cost me about $100.00 for the blower and the vent, so I'm very happy with the cost.

                                                And a big thank you to Todd for walking me though it, I have gained a lot of knowledge in the furnace department.

                                                I'll let everyone know how it works out in the end.

                                              • Wncol2004
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 13, 2013
                                                  Congrats on your low cost fix. :)

                                                  On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:47 AM, "Sirrobyn0" <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                  > > > more efficient.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > So well see what happens after I get the furnace out and see if it is
                                                  > > > salvageable or not.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Rob

                                                  > > > thing,

                                                  > > > propane

                                                  > > > went
                                                  > > > home is
                                                  > > > that
                                                  > > > noise

                                                  > > > until

                                                  > > > right
                                                  > > > is.
                                                  > > > left

                                                  > > > wall

                                                  > > --
                                                  > > Warren
                                                  > > 1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
                                                  > > pickup (Sam)
                                                  > > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)

                                                • Dave S.
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 13, 2013
                                                    Rob,
                                                    Todd is a great guy, helped me through a couple of issues with my
                                                    trailer too.
                                                    Boy am I glad he doesn't charge for his help.. LOL
                                                    Deep Freeze Dave

                                                    My Railroad picture pages are at
                                                    www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
                                                    Miscellaneous other pictures are at