Re: More MH questions

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
      For all the reasons others have stated, on an older MH you pay a lot for a diesel. First question is, what size/class are you looking for? Why are you looking at the biggest engines? I personally drive a '84 Class C powered by a Chevy 350. It's new to me this past year, with a little over 34,000 miles. Former owner must have been a mechanic as the chassis and drive train are excellent. He was a terrible body man and cabinet/carpenter. That's my forte.

      My last rig was a Ford 460 powered Class C a little older. The Ford got 6mpg even standing in the driveway. Pulling a loaded 17' haul trailer it dropped to just over 5mpg. The SportsCoach (84) is a lot nicer inside and much more functional. It gets 7+mpg in town and about 9+ on the road. Same trip route takes about the same time between Salt Lake and Boise. But the mileage is great 75-80 gallons with the 350 and about 120 with the 460.

      For twenty years I drove a Ford Cube with the 460 and never passed a gas station. Even loaded I could keep up with the traffic and watch the gas gauge fall. Now I travel at a steady 60mph and am very happy with the performance. And yes I take 7% grades in the 30's and am not the first off the line at a stop light, but my wallet stays a little heavier in my pocket.

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, lighthousemo at Wildwood wrote:

      > I am looking at various older MHs. I do not want one that has so many
      > computers, dials, gauges and an entirely different language that I would
      > have to learn and not ready to.
      >
      > But I do want a diesel but finding that hard to fit in my budget.
      > So lets talk about gas.
      >
      > Right now the two I am looking at 1985 454 chevy with 78000 miles
      > and a1988 newly rebuilt 454.
      > Will either of these get better than 6 mpg?
      > But I don't like these two having chevy motors. I know it is common and
      > probably not hard to find parts but can anyone say why anything good enough
      > that I would go look closer than a picture?
      >
      > Or are these two not considered classics?
      > Shirley

    • Wncol2004
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
        I think it was something like 13 to 15 quarts...fairly standard for a 7.3 liter.

        1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
        Sent from my iPad 2.

      • Bill Miller
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
          Yeah, that is fairly standard, about 3.5 to 4 gallons, as opposed to about 4 or 5 quarts for a gas engine in the same vehicle. So oil changes are about three times as expensive for the diesel, and you do them at about the same time(mileage).
          When diesel fuel was about 1/4 the price of gas, there was much to be said for using a diesel; but with todays technology and equal maintenance, the gas engine will give equal service. IMHO

          mainiac bill

          ________________________________
          I think it was something like 13 to 15 quarts...fairly standard for a 7.3 liter.

          1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
          Sent from my iPad 2.

          On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Bill Miller mainiac1946@...> wrote:

          > I am curios now Warren. how much oil did they put in when they changed the oil?
          >
          > mainiac bill
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Wncol2004
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
            Maybe, but I didn't have the $ for a new truck. :)
            Oil changes on my ole suburban were every 3k miles. My diesel. Every 5k as specified by the manufacturer. I called.

            On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, that is fairly standard, about 3.5 to 4 gallons, as opposed to about 4 or 5 quarts for a gas engine in the same vehicle. So oil changes are about three times as expensive for the diesel, and you do them at about the same time(mileage).
            > When diesel fuel was about 1/4 the price of gas, there was much to be said for using a diesel; but with todays technology and equal maintenance, the gas engine will give equal service. IMHO
            >
            > mainiac bill
            >
            > ________________________________

          • lighthousemo at Wildwood
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
              11 qts for my 1991 3/4T Cummins diesel. Oil was changed every 5000 miles
              or if the miles flew by too fast 7000 and one time it was 7500. It had
              225000 miles on it when I sold it to start a new life with a new owner. He
              fully expected to get that much or more miles in his usage and was going to
              do a bit of body repair. It pulled my 32 5th wheel Hitchhiker, with no
              problems, 4 full size horses, 14000 lbs of cattle no problems. That truck
              could flat move and used no oil.

            • Bill Miller
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                Not arguing Warren;
                 Just know that my owner's manual for my '07 Explorer says every 5000miles  oil change interval and that is definitely a gas engine. :)

                mainiac bill

                ________________________________
                Maybe, but I didn't have the $ for a new truck. :)
                Oil changes on my ole suburban were every 3k miles. My diesel. Every 5k as specified by the manufacturer. I called.

                1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                Sent from my iPad 2.

                On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Bill Miller mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, that is fairly standard, about 3.5 to 4 gallons, as opposed to about 4 or 5 quarts for a gas engine in the same vehicle. So oil changes are about three times as expensive for the diesel, and you do them at about the same time(mileage).
                > When diesel fuel was about 1/4 the price of gas, there was much to be said for using a diesel; but with todays technology and equal maintenance, the gas engine will give equal service. IMHO
                >
                > mainiac bill
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Wncol2004
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 27, 2013
                  Well, my ole suburban was just that....old. 1989 model. 9 years older.
                  Newer engines run cleaner. The gas engine of choice for me...if I had the $ would be the ford V10. Meanwhile...I use a diesel to get the torque.

                  On Jan 26, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                  > Not arguing Warren;
                  > Just know that my owner's manual for my '07 Explorer says every 5000miles oil change interval and that is definitely a gas engine. :)
                  >
                  > mainiac bill

                • John
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
                    HI! FORETRAVEL HAS BEEM PUTTING DIESEL ENGINES IN THE REAR I THINK STARTING AROUND 1985. THEY ARE VERY SIMPLE, LOW GADGET, AND SOME ARE AVAILABLE AROUND #15,000. THEY HAVE AIR BRAKES, AIR RIDE AND REAL WOOD CCABINTRY. I CAN SEND SOME PICTURES BY E-MAIL TO SHOW YOU THE STYLE.

                    GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.