Re: [classicrv] More MH questions

  • Jerry Boone
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 24, 2013
      I have an '89 Champion Ultrastar, 28-foot, Class A with a 454. It has about 105,000 miles on it, holds a solid 60 lbs of oil pressure, and uses a quart of oil about every 1500 miles. While flat towing a 2009 Ford Escape, I get between 6.2 and 7.2 mpg, depending on the terrain and the speed. I could probably get better mileage if I didn't have to burn 10% corn liquor mixed with the fuel. I figure it costs me about 50 cents a mile for fuel.

      -- boone

      Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.
      - Italian Proverb

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
        For all the reasons others have stated, on an older MH you pay a lot for a diesel. First question is, what size/class are you looking for? Why are you looking at the biggest engines? I personally drive a '84 Class C powered by a Chevy 350. It's new to me this past year, with a little over 34,000 miles. Former owner must have been a mechanic as the chassis and drive train are excellent. He was a terrible body man and cabinet/carpenter. That's my forte.

        My last rig was a Ford 460 powered Class C a little older. The Ford got 6mpg even standing in the driveway. Pulling a loaded 17' haul trailer it dropped to just over 5mpg. The SportsCoach (84) is a lot nicer inside and much more functional. It gets 7+mpg in town and about 9+ on the road. Same trip route takes about the same time between Salt Lake and Boise. But the mileage is great 75-80 gallons with the 350 and about 120 with the 460.

        For twenty years I drove a Ford Cube with the 460 and never passed a gas station. Even loaded I could keep up with the traffic and watch the gas gauge fall. Now I travel at a steady 60mph and am very happy with the performance. And yes I take 7% grades in the 30's and am not the first off the line at a stop light, but my wallet stays a little heavier in my pocket.

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, lighthousemo at Wildwood wrote:

        > I am looking at various older MHs. I do not want one that has so many
        > computers, dials, gauges and an entirely different language that I would
        > have to learn and not ready to.
        >
        > But I do want a diesel but finding that hard to fit in my budget.
        > So lets talk about gas.
        >
        > Right now the two I am looking at 1985 454 chevy with 78000 miles
        > and a1988 newly rebuilt 454.
        > Will either of these get better than 6 mpg?
        > But I don't like these two having chevy motors. I know it is common and
        > probably not hard to find parts but can anyone say why anything good enough
        > that I would go look closer than a picture?
        >
        > Or are these two not considered classics?
        > Shirley

      • Bill Miller
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
          I drove trucks for a living(owned trucks) for several years. Big truck diesels run and maintain different than P/U diesels.
          I had a couple of 350 Cummins diesels in International Cab Overs, and I was lucky to get 4 MPG; BUT there wasn't anything I couldn't haul.All kinds of Power.A lot has to do with the transmission, too.
          I drove an Auto Transporter with a 400 Cummins diesel and an automatic transmission, and that was one of the new ones with all the electronics. That one was a little anemic, but fuel mileage was up around 10-12 MPG.

          In both types , new and old , maintenance was an issue, as you mentioned Warren.
          Oil changes were not cheap even when I did the work myself. I changed oil and filters , water, separators, fuel filters, air filters, and on the Cummins 350's the Water Filter every 5000 miles.
          That was about 20 years ago, and at that time oil and filters cost me well over $100.00 every time.
          But it was a business expense.

          Given the average price of diesel fuel now, I would think long and  hard about getting a diesel. Gas is now $3.479 in Maine, while Diesel is up around $4.099.

          Back when I was driving, and one of the reasons I quit , Diesel was at $.899 in 1988.When it got up to $1.499 a gallon, I couldn't afford to run my trucks anymore , so I gave them up.
          With it at $4.099 now, my rates would have to reflect that and some of the companies that I had contracts with have folded up now, also.

          My ONLY experience with a 454 gas engine was on a FIRE TRUCK, and that was one of the best running trucks my town ever had. It was kind of thirsty, but if it came to not putting out the fire or buying more gas for the fire truck, putting out the fire always won out.
          We didn't worry about the price.

          One other word about diesel engines is the DIPSTICK; the one in the engine, not the driver's seat.lol!
          On a GAS engine if the dipstick shows that you need to add oil it indicates a QUART; whereas on the DIESEL the same low mark indicates that you need a GALLON.

          mainiac bill

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
            Bill,
            The Gallon on the dipstick, ls that for you average diesel p/u or a "big
            rig"????
            DFD

            --
            My Railroad picture pages are at
            www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions

          • Warren
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
              The dipstick on mine is 2 quarts. :)

              1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
              pickup (Sam)

            • Bill Miller
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                Hi Dave;
                I am not sure now, but I believe that on the earlier IH power stroke diesels that Ford used in 1991 and 92 the low oil mark indicated a gallon low. I know I used to buy Shell Rotella by the gallon for my F-550.
                I also drove a GMC on e time with a s yd dump body with a 6.2 GMC Diesel and it also indicated the low oil mark as a gallon.

                mainiac bill

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                  READ your owner's manual. I DO NOT believe FORD or anyone else ever put a dip stick in anything that indicated  a low point at 2 quarts.
                  I think it may be marked or stamped on the dipstick itself as to how much oil each mark indicates.
                  My 5.9? Power Stroke  had two dimples , above the hash marked area, and it was printed at the factory that said when the oil was low it indicated gallons NOT QUARTS.

                  mainiac bill

                  ________________________________
                  1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
                  pickup (Sam)

                  On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I drove trucks for a living(owned trucks) for several years. Big truck
                  > diesels run and maintain different than P/U diesels.
                  > I had a couple of 350 Cummins diesels in International Cab Overs, and I
                  > was lucky to get 4 MPG; BUT there wasn't anything I couldn't haul.All kinds
                  > of Power.A lot has to do with the transmission, too.
                  > I drove an Auto Transporter with a 400 Cummins diesel and an automatic
                  > transmission, and that was one of the new ones with all the electronics.
                  > That one was a little anemic, but fuel mileage was up around 10-12 MPG.
                  >
                  > In both types , new and old , maintenance was an issue, as you mentioned
                  > Warren.
                  > Oil changes were not cheap even when I did the work myself. I changed oil
                  > and filters , water, separators, fuel filters, air filters, and on the
                  > Cummins 350's the Water Filter every 5000 miles.
                  > That was about 20 years ago, and at that time oil and filters cost me well
                  > over $100.00 every time.
                  > But it was a business expense.
                  >
                  > Given the average price of diesel fuel now, I would think long and  hard
                  > about getting a diesel. Gas is now $3.479 in Maine, while Diesel is up
                  > around $4.099.
                  >
                  > Back when I was driving, and one of the reasons I quit , Diesel was at
                  > $.899 in 1988.When it got up to $1.499 a gallon, I couldn't afford to run
                  > my trucks anymore , so I gave them up.
                  > With it at $4.099 now, my rates would have to reflect that and some of the
                  > companies that I had contracts with have folded up now, also.
                  >
                  > My ONLY experience with a 454 gas engine was on a FIRE TRUCK, and that was
                  > one of the best running trucks my town ever had. It was kind of thirsty,
                  > but if it came to not putting out the fire or buying more gas for the fire
                  > truck, putting out the fire always won out.
                  > We didn't worry about the price.
                  >
                  > One other word about diesel engines is the DIPSTICK; the one in the
                  > engine, not the driver's seat.lol!
                  > On a GAS engine if the dipstick shows that you need to add oil it
                  > indicates a QUART; whereas on the DIESEL the same low mark indicates that
                  > you need a GALLON.
                  >
                  > mainiac bill
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Bill Miller
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                    Correction : mine was also a 7.3 liter

                    ________________________________

                    1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
                    pickup (Sam)

                    On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Bill Miller mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I drove trucks for a living(owned trucks) for several years. Big truck
                    > diesels run and maintain different than P/U diesels.
                    > I had a couple of 350 Cummins diesels in International Cab Overs, and I
                    > was lucky to get 4 MPG; BUT there wasn't anything I couldn't haul.All kinds
                    > of Power.A lot has to do with the transmission, too.
                    > I drove an Auto Transporter with a 400 Cummins diesel and an automatic
                    > transmission, and that was one of the new ones with all the electronics.
                    > That one was a little anemic, but fuel mileage was up around 10-12 MPG.
                    >
                    > In both types , new and old , maintenance was an issue, as you mentioned
                    > Warren.
                    > Oil changes were not cheap even when I did the work myself. I changed oil
                    > and filters , water, separators, fuel filters, air filters, and on the
                    > Cummins 350's the Water Filter every 5000 miles.
                    > That was about 20 years ago, and at that time oil and filters cost me well
                    > over $100.00 every time.
                    > But it was a business expense.
                    >
                    > Given the average price of diesel fuel now, I would think long and  hard
                    > about getting a diesel. Gas is now $3.479 in Maine, while Diesel is up
                    > around $4.099.
                    >
                    > Back when I was driving, and one of the reasons I quit , Diesel was at
                    > $.899 in 1988.When it got up to $1.499 a gallon, I couldn't afford to run
                    > my trucks anymore , so I gave them up.
                    > With it at $4.099 now, my rates would have to reflect that and some of the
                    > companies that I had contracts with have folded up now, also.
                    >
                    > My ONLY experience with a 454 gas engine was on a FIRE TRUCK, and that was
                    > one of the best running trucks my town ever had. It was kind of thirsty,
                    > but if it came to not putting out the fire or buying more gas for the fire
                    > truck, putting out the fire always won out.
                    > We didn't worry about the price.
                    >
                    > One other word about diesel engines is the DIPSTICK; the one in the
                    > engine, not the driver's seat.lol!
                    > On a GAS engine if the dipstick shows that you need to add oil it
                    > indicates a QUART; whereas on the DIESEL the same low mark indicates that
                    > you need a GALLON.
                    >
                    > mainiac bill
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Wncol2004
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                      I have had my truck for about 3 months or so. I checked my dip stick not longer after I got it. It was at the add mark. Added a quart. Waited a bit. Checked again. Only half way up. Add quart #2 and waited. Checked again and it said full.
                      So... Mine is 2 quarts. Mine doesn't have an owners manual so that option is out.

                      Had the oil changed, fuel pump changed, fuel filter changed. Etc...

                      On Jan 25, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                      > READ your owner's manual. I DO NOT believe FORD or anyone else ever put a dip stick in anything that indicated a low point at 2 quarts.
                      > I think it may be marked or stamped on the dipstick itself as to how much oil each mark indicates.
                      > My 5.9? Power Stroke had two dimples , above the hash marked area, and it was printed at the factory that said when the oil was low it indicated gallons NOT QUARTS.
                      >
                      > mainiac bill
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Wncol2004
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                        Figured. Oil Diesel engines that I know that for used were a 6.9 naturally aspirated, 7.3 naturally aspirated, 7.3 turbo charged (power stroke) and now the 6.0 which from what I have heard is no where near as tough as the 7.3. Had a friend that has a 6 liter. Traded her 7.3 for it and has been kicking her self ever since.

                        On Jan 25, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                        > Correction : mine was also a 7.3 liter
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Bill Miller
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                          I am curios now Warren. how much oil did they put in when they changed the oil?

                          mainiac bill

                          ________________________________
                          I have had my truck for about 3 months or so. I checked my dip stick not longer after I got it. It was at the add mark. Added a quart. Waited a bit. Checked again. Only half way up. Add quart #2 and waited. Checked again and it said full.
                          So... Mine is 2 quarts. Mine doesn't have an owners manual so that option is out.

                          Had the oil changed, fuel pump changed, fuel filter changed. Etc...

                          1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                          Sent from my iPad 2.

                          On Jan 25, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Bill Miller mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                          > READ your owner's manual. I DO NOT believe FORD or anyone else ever put a dip stick in anything that indicated a low point at 2 quarts.
                          > I think it may be marked or stamped on the dipstick itself as to how much oil each mark indicates.
                          > My 5.9? Power Stroke had two dimples , above the hash marked area, and it was printed at the factory that said when the oil was low it indicated gallons NOT QUARTS.
                          >
                          > mainiac bill
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • Wncol2004
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                            I think it was something like 13 to 15 quarts...fairly standard for a 7.3 liter.

                            On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                            > I am curios now Warren. how much oil did they put in when they changed the oil?
                            >
                            > mainiac bill
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Bill Miller
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                              Yeah, that is fairly standard, about 3.5 to 4 gallons, as opposed to about 4 or 5 quarts for a gas engine in the same vehicle. So oil changes are about three times as expensive for the diesel, and you do them at about the same time(mileage).
                              When diesel fuel was about 1/4 the price of gas, there was much to be said for using a diesel; but with todays technology and equal maintenance, the gas engine will give equal service. IMHO

                              mainiac bill

                              ________________________________
                              I think it was something like 13 to 15 quarts...fairly standard for a 7.3 liter.

                              1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                              Sent from my iPad 2.

                              On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Bill Miller mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                              > I am curios now Warren. how much oil did they put in when they changed the oil?
                              >
                              > mainiac bill
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                            • Wncol2004
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                Maybe, but I didn't have the $ for a new truck. :)
                                Oil changes on my ole suburban were every 3k miles. My diesel. Every 5k as specified by the manufacturer. I called.

                                On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                > Yeah, that is fairly standard, about 3.5 to 4 gallons, as opposed to about 4 or 5 quarts for a gas engine in the same vehicle. So oil changes are about three times as expensive for the diesel, and you do them at about the same time(mileage).
                                > When diesel fuel was about 1/4 the price of gas, there was much to be said for using a diesel; but with todays technology and equal maintenance, the gas engine will give equal service. IMHO
                                >
                                > mainiac bill
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • lighthousemo at Wildwood
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                  11 qts for my 1991 3/4T Cummins diesel. Oil was changed every 5000 miles
                                  or if the miles flew by too fast 7000 and one time it was 7500. It had
                                  225000 miles on it when I sold it to start a new life with a new owner. He
                                  fully expected to get that much or more miles in his usage and was going to
                                  do a bit of body repair. It pulled my 32 5th wheel Hitchhiker, with no
                                  problems, 4 full size horses, 14000 lbs of cattle no problems. That truck
                                  could flat move and used no oil.

                                • Bill Miller
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                    Not arguing Warren;
                                     Just know that my owner's manual for my '07 Explorer says every 5000miles  oil change interval and that is definitely a gas engine. :)

                                    mainiac bill

                                    ________________________________
                                    Maybe, but I didn't have the $ for a new truck. :)
                                    Oil changes on my ole suburban were every 3k miles. My diesel. Every 5k as specified by the manufacturer. I called.

                                    1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                                    Sent from my iPad 2.

                                    On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Bill Miller mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                    > Yeah, that is fairly standard, about 3.5 to 4 gallons, as opposed to about 4 or 5 quarts for a gas engine in the same vehicle. So oil changes are about three times as expensive for the diesel, and you do them at about the same time(mileage).
                                    > When diesel fuel was about 1/4 the price of gas, there was much to be said for using a diesel; but with todays technology and equal maintenance, the gas engine will give equal service. IMHO
                                    >
                                    > mainiac bill
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Wncol2004
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 27, 2013
                                      Well, my ole suburban was just that....old. 1989 model. 9 years older.
                                      Newer engines run cleaner. The gas engine of choice for me...if I had the $ would be the ford V10. Meanwhile...I use a diesel to get the torque.

                                      On Jan 26, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

                                      > Not arguing Warren;
                                      > Just know that my owner's manual for my '07 Explorer says every 5000miles oil change interval and that is definitely a gas engine. :)
                                      >
                                      > mainiac bill

                                    • John
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
                                        HI! FORETRAVEL HAS BEEM PUTTING DIESEL ENGINES IN THE REAR I THINK STARTING AROUND 1985. THEY ARE VERY SIMPLE, LOW GADGET, AND SOME ARE AVAILABLE AROUND #15,000. THEY HAVE AIR BRAKES, AIR RIDE AND REAL WOOD CCABINTRY. I CAN SEND SOME PICTURES BY E-MAIL TO SHOW YOU THE STYLE.

                                        GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.