Dinghy

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
      I have a 1973 VW super beatle, manual transmission. Can this be used as a dinghy and if so, is there any special things that have to be done to tow it?
    • rduck44@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
        I would take the body off the frame and seal the windows and doors . then reverse the seats and bolt on some oar locks and maybe a motor mount for a kicker out board..It should get you to the yacht and back no problem..not sure if you need to register it in your state Id check with the DNR..
        Good sailing..

        Doug

      • Dick
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
          I have 1971 VW bug that I made into a dune buggy and then towed to Central America. Make sure that it is in neutral, turn the key on, disconnect negative cable at the battery. If you are going to use this a lot, it would make sense to find an easy way to disconnect the battery. The reason you need the key on is to unlock the steering wheel. I am no expert, so you should check further, it may be possible to leave the steering locked, but I have never tried it!

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lannis1769@...> wrote:

          > I have a 1973 VW super beatle, manual transmission. Can this be used as a dinghy and if so, is there any special things that have to be done to tow it?

        • Larry Annis
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
            Thank you Dick.  I know the steering would have to be unlocked. I was just wondering if it would hurt the transaxle to tow it for a long distance.
            Thank you too Doug. Maybe I should have been more specific in my wording. I could have called it a toad. However, I do want to tow it behind my land yacht. (Motor coach, bus, rig, motorhome, or whatever they are calling it today.)

            ________________________________
            I have 1971 VW bug that I made into a dune buggy and then towed to Central America. Make sure that it is in neutral, turn the key on, disconnect negative cable at the battery. If you are going to use this a lot, it would make sense to find an easy way to disconnect the battery. The reason you need the key on is to unlock the steering wheel. I am no expert, so you should check further, it may be possible to leave the steering locked, but I have never tried it!

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lannis1769@...> wrote:

            > I have a 1973 VW super beatle, manual transmission. Can this be used as a dinghy and if so, is there any special things that have to be done to tow it?

          • Bill Miller
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
              I don't believe the battery has to be disconnected. I do know that the ignition lock should be unlocked, but not turned on.and the car must be in neutral.

              mainiac bill

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
                Shouldn't be any problem with the manual tranny.

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Larry Annis <lannis1769@...> wrote:

                > Thank you Dick.  I know the steering would have to be unlocked. I was just wondering if it would hurt the transaxle to tow it for a long distance.
                > Thank you too Doug. Maybe I should have been more specific in my wording. I could have called it a toad. However, I do want to tow it behind my land yacht. (Motor coach, bus, rig, motorhome, or whatever they are calling it today.)

              • randy lee
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
                  I have a 1970 VW/dune buggy. I have a tow bar that connects to the front beam, and tow all 4 wheels down. I have towed all over the west. The super has a different front suspension, but you can use a tow bar and tow all wheels down.
                  Good luck

                • Larry Annis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
                    Thank you RandyLee, I have the correct tow bar for the Super Beetle. I think I will have to get a drop hitch, because the tow bar has to be pretty level. The hitch reaches under the car quite a ways and I don't want to lift it off the ground on the humps. There is quite an overhang on the motor home.