Winterizing?

  • D. Hammond
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 11, 2012
      We're leaving our motorhome here in northern California until next summer.
      What do we need to do to winterize it? We really don't get freezing
      temperatures here very often, but just in case....

      D'Aura

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 12, 2012
        Water is usually what will freeze and cause some problems. Most folks connect a special fitting to the water inlet and blow out any water. The water pump and filter can easily be removed for the winter and low temps. The holding tanks should be drained then about a gallon of anti freeze solution into all the tanks. The cost is cheap. Some folks also add half a gallon of anti freeze to the sinks and toilet.
        To keep the battery in good condition a small trickle charger and a 24 hour time clock will do a good job. Set the time clock for on for an hour and off for 2 hours. For good protection, the negative connection can be disconnected. Adding some moth balls in a couple areas will keep the mice away. Frank
      • Todd Barnard
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 12, 2012
          I would amend this slightly, depending on winter temps.

          Blowing out the lines with air can be a problem if the plumbing has low
          points where residual water can accumulate.

          If the holding tanks are drained, there will be plenty of room for
          expansion for any remaining water.

          You should definitely pour anti-freeze down ALL traps to keep them from
          cracking...light weight plastic and little expansion room.

          The only sure fire method is to by pass the water heater, permanently or
          temporarily, and use the on board pump to pump the anti freeze thru the
          lines, Let extra thru the toilet valve, I usually open and close it at
          least twice after seeing the colour of the anti freeze. Release the check
          valve at the city water connection until you see colour as well. Don't
          forget any outdoor showers too!

          Once you are confident you have filled all the lines, run a little more
          down the traps or pour it in manually.

          You can reverse the by pass and replace drains at this point, or I prefer
          to wait until spring and run fresh water thru the lines before reversing
          the by pass to avoid pushing anti freeze into the water heater tank. This
          is not a problem, but it can produce frothy water until its all purged.

          Take care, Todd.

          On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Frank <frank.id.crown@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Water is usually what will freeze and cause some problems. Most folks
          > connect a special fitting to the water inlet and blow out any water. The
          > water pump and filter can easily be removed for the winter and low temps.
          > The holding tanks should be drained then about a gallon of anti freeze
          > solution into all the tanks. The cost is cheap. Some folks also add half a
          > gallon of anti freeze to the sinks and toilet.
          > To keep the battery in good condition a small trickle charger and a 24
          > hour time clock will do a good job. Set the time clock for on for an hour
          > and off for 2 hours. For good protection, the negative connection can be
          > disconnected. Adding some moth balls in a couple areas will keep the mice
          > away. Frank

        • coy13gov
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 13, 2012
            I have a great idea,,I could move in for a month or so. I am on the eastern side of the states,and we DO have to winterize.
            Drain,,prime with pink,(the lines and pump), pour a little extra in toilet,and drains(traps). Check with someone too,may have to drain water heater seperately. Kenny,,eastern panhandle of WV. '87 tioGA