parking,,wallmarts,

  • coy13gov
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 17, 2012
      Still lovin' the site. Yes agree with all on the generators. OMG! cant imagine getting a larger one,and Yes on b careful on the "surge" power as some of the other guys talk. TO me think on really your demand.
      On the wallmarts,,I have found it has to do with the "complex" where they are located. Most,if not all wallmarts embrace you,but there seem to be some that are part of more a "private" shopping area.
      I'm in wv,and got chased out of a shopping mall area,by a wallmart in martinsburg wv. Otherwise,,30 minutes north,in Hagerstown Md. all was cool..
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 21, 2012
        I have been electrical contractor for about 30 years. Never have known of a gen set "surge" Please enlighten an old guy. Frank
      • Jerry Boone
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 21, 2012
          FRANK:

          I'm not sure what the original writer has in mind, but on my 4K Onan, the generator will fire up and then spend minute after minute revving up and slowing down, revving up and slowing down. It will finally settle in to a decently smooth operation, right up until I put a heavy load on it. Runs fine with the microwave, does the surge routine when I turn on the AC.

          -- boone
          1989 Ultrastar 28'

          Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.
          - Italian Proverb

          I have been electrical contractor for about 30 years. Never have known of a gen set "surge" Please enlighten an old guy. Frank

        • rick haywood
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 21, 2012
            if yours is revving up and slowing down it needs to be adjusted properly and quite possibly need a carb cleaning and tune up, it should not surge at all when started up. the act of revving up and down can make the voltage go down to a too low level and way to high which can burn up appliances. more often than not the cause is a varnished up carburetor. which means the fuel has set in the carburetor too long due to not running it often enough. onan recommends running it 2 to 3 hours a month, or using a fuel stabilizer in the fuel to keep the fuel fresh. one should also realize that a load is on it when you start in the form of the converter which can cost you alot of bucks if you burn it up.   rick

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 21, 2012
              onan's have been known to go below rated voltage of 120 sometimes down to 60volts and then rev up to over 150volts on a swing cycle. rick

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2012
                Gen set surge. Caused by a sudden change in load. And increase in load causes the gen to slow down due to load and then it throttles up to compensate and over throttles a tad.
                The slow down causes the voltage to drop a bit and the over throttle causes it to go over voltage a little and thus....a gen set surge. A sudden drop in load can also cause the gen to over throttle a little. Air conditioners are bad about causing the gen to surge.

                1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                Sent from my iPad 2.

                On Nov 21, 2012, at 6:14 PM, "Frank" <frank.id.crown@...> wrote:

                > I have been electrical contractor for about 30 years. Never have known of a gen set "surge" Please enlighten an old guy. Frank

              • Warren
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21, 2012
                  I would expect that from a cheap gen but not an Onan. Live and learn I guess.

                  On Nov 21, 2012, at 6:47 PM, rick haywood <haywood_rick@...> wrote:

                  > onan's have been known to go below rated voltage of 120 sometimes down to 60volts and then rev up to over 150volts on a swing cycle. rick
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Ted Kroll
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 22, 2012
                    Frank, Does it have a load on it when it is surging?
                    Ted

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 22, 2012
                      Again, I can't speak for Frank, but in my case it surges without a load, especially when it is first fired up.

                      -- boone

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 22, 2012
                        My gen set does not surge. If a gen set is in good tune and set correctly there is just a very slight change in engine performance. The engines that "surge" need some careful checking and setting of the engine. Engines that have rpm rise and fall are not set correctly as the fuel air/fuel adjustment. A bad air filter will also cause surge or hunting. Overall condition of the engine is important also. The surge is not a good thing. It is important for the engine to have the initial rpm set high enough to make the change to a higher rpm while under load. As I understand the process, the engine is set at a rpm until a load is placed upon the engine and the sail is moved and the throttle linkage is moved to more fuel. The throttle is at idle or advance under load. Checking the voltage is also important part of setting a gen set. I usually set the voltage at 125-130 vac. High voltage will not harm any equipment, but low voltage makes a rise in amperage. My view. Frank
                      • BMWslim@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 22, 2012
                          I would set at 60 HZ and the voltage will be set. If you don't set HZ any
                          motor that is used will be out of sink.

                          RPM's should drop when demand is called for but governor should return it
                          to the original setting.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 22, 2012
                            Your gen manual says to let it run for about 5 minutes to warm up before running any electrical load on it.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 22, 2012
                              And this drop and return will cause a surge. I will also, for those non inverter gen sets, change the Hz as well.