Replacing a dead Generac generator

  • neverendsat13
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
      Anyone have experience replacing an RV generator with a domestic power unit? My Generac unit in my 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser can be started with difficulty, but doesn't put out any juice. It's the original unit and I note that generators built specifically for RV's are pricey. So I've been thinking about replacing the Generac with an off the shelf unit purchased from a big box store or Harbor Freight to save a few bucks. Is this a feasible solution or am I likely to electrocute myself?
    • glen c
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
        If the genset hasnt been used in a few years...it could be stuck brushes causing the problem..tapping around the generator body itself with a screw driver handle or small hammer may make it work again...

        If it is putting out any juice at all, say 30 or 40 volts,..most likely culprit is the voltage regulator...

        I would check that before buying a new unit of any kind..those older Generacs and Onans are good units compared to the stuff today....

        Glen

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "neverendsat13" <ardoig@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have experience replacing an RV generator with a domestic power unit? My Generac unit in my 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser can be started with difficulty, but doesn't put out any juice. It's the original unit and I note that generators built specifically for RV's are pricey. So I've been thinking about replacing the Generac with an off the shelf unit purchased from a big box store or Harbor Freight to save a few bucks. Is this a feasible solution or am I likely to electrocute myself?

      • Warren
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
          Your generic can be fixed. Typically they need to be run once a month at 50% load to keep the magnets energized. I you let the magnets drop off. It won't generate power. But it is fairly easy to get the magnets reenergized.
          But, the engine must also run smoothly or it won't generate a constant proper power.
          So, I would address the engine running smoothly then, reenergize the magnets.
          Usually it takes a battery and do a quick temp connection on the stator to get the power flowing again.
          A lot lower cost than replacing the whole thing.
          I have a domestic Coleman power-mate over 20 years old and it works just fine but it has seen proper maintenance, oil changes, fuel changes, run once a month to keep it going etc...

          1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
          Sent from my iPad 2.

          On Nov 13, 2012, at 5:25 PM, "neverendsat13" <ardoig@...> wrote:

          > Anyone have experience replacing an RV generator with a domestic power unit? My Generac unit in my 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser can be started with difficulty, but doesn't put out any juice. It's the original unit and I note that generators built specifically for RV's are pricey. So I've been thinking about replacing the Generac with an off the shelf unit purchased from a big box store or Harbor Freight to save a few bucks. Is this a feasible solution or am I likely to electrocute myself?

        • GlenO
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2012
            The off the self units you speak of produce power at 3600 RPMs your rv
            generator produces at 1600 RPM thus the off the self unit is much
            noisier, and wont last near as long, you neighbor in the next campsite
            wont appreciate the noise, and in the long run the longevity will make
            up for any difference in price, I would suggest getting your old one
            repaired or purchasing a used unit for a RV over a cheap replacement.
            You can probley do either for the price of a homeowner generator, I
            purchased an onan 2800 for $450 off of Craigs list and had it shipped
            for $100, and got all the wiring etc. the larger onans can be had for
            $200 up, and usually are low hours and have remote start, or automatic
            start ce-- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Warren
            <wncol2004@...> wrote:

            > Your generic can be fixed. he >
            >
            > --
            > Warren
            > 1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
            > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
            > Western KY
            > Sent from my iPad 2.
            >
            > On Nov 13, 2012, at 5:25 PM, "neverendsat13" ardoig@... wrote:
            >
            > > Anyone have experience replacing an RV generator with a domestic
            power unit? My Generac unit in my 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser can be
            started with difficulty, but doesn't put out any juice. It's the
            original unit and I note that generators built specifically for RV's are
            pricey. So I've been thinking about replacing the Generac with an off
            the shelf unit purchased from a big box store or Harbor Freight to save
            a few bucks. Is this a feasible solution or am I likely to electrocute
            myself?

          • Ted Kroll
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2012
              I would be very leery about getting the exhaust managed and also the airflow with a Box store gen.
              They are going to run fast, vibrate and I would think run pretty hot. Carbon monoxide KILLS!
              I don't think it would be a good decision at all. My old motorhome has had the Onan replaced with Kohler and it was done smoothly. I even adapted the remote start to it.
              Ted

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2012
                You could pick up a genset at a fairly reasonable price by copying this ad

                http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/app/3402602177.html

                Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�