Travco Motor home Project

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2012
      Anyone rebuilding a Travco? My project is a 1971 270. The interior is bad/gone. Lots of rain damage. The engine runs altho poorly. The first item that needs attention is the wiring. Many untrained folks made many changes. Gonna build a new dash with new gages. factory wiring diagram is in hand. Changing trans shifter to floor mount no cable. Frank in Idaho
    • Ted Kroll
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 7, 2012
        Frank, I don't have a Travco, but where U gonna put the floor shifter? I have an Allegro with an M400 chassis and can't imagine where I'd put one.
        Ted
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 7, 2012
          Hi Ted, Gonna use the old hot rod shifter for auto trans. Looks like a good spot to the right of the foot throttle and towards the rear.
          The shift lever will be a simple forward and rearward motion. The length of the stroke can be decided by the length of the levers. The shift rod will be some 3/8th stainless bar material. Cable shifts are a very poor design as there is no assist in either direction. A couple cotter pins to hold the rod and levers in position. The rod shape may take a few trials for a good feel and detent. Frank
        • JerryK
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 7, 2012
            Hi Frank,
            I hope your design includes a neutral position.  To be accurate the fluid level in the 727 transmission in the Travco needs to be checked in neutral, NOT park.
            JerryK

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
              Yeah I guess the Travcos are that much different. I only have bunion room to the right of my pedal and I have to step on the box to get in the seat or climb like a monkey if I use the door.
              Thanks
              Ted

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                The Travco will have a basic shifter with only a forward and rearward action. Frank

                MR GASKET PERFORMANCE FLOOR SHIFTER KIT

                view large image

                $75.89
                SKU #: 1JA 811084Manufacturer #: 7668
                click to view

                Performance Floor Shifter Kit for American Rear-wheel Drive Cars with Autom
                SKU #: 1JA 811084 Mfr #: 7668

                Product Fit: Universal
                Warranty: 90-day Mr Gasket limited warranty

                $75.89

                Sold individually

                Ships: 1-2 business days
                Add to Cart

                Product Info
                Customer Reviews
                Related Parts

                PERFORMANCE FLOOR SHIFTER KIT

                For American rear-wheel-drive cars with automatic transmission
                Mounts easily in place of original equipment floor shifter in stock location
                More precise than original equipment-no " loose" or sloppy shifts

                Spring-loaded detents ensure safe, quick, sure gear selection. Race style with 11" chrome-plated steel flat shift lever; solid black knob; chrome-plated floor plate; soft black vinyl boot. Stronger-than-original 4-point mounting. All critical parts are made of heavy-duty materials, case hardened to resist wear. Linkage rods, brackets and frame are also zinc plated. Kit includes all necessary linkage, hardware and instructions. Will
              • GeorgeG
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                  I have driven cable shifted Dodges since the 60's and never saw a problem unless the cable was fraying. Assist ?? Just my opinion but I thing a floor shift is just somthing to trip over. If you want to do away with the dash shifter look into a later steering column with a shifter leaver attached.

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frank.id.crown@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ted, Gonna use the old hot rod shifter for auto trans. Looks like a good spot to the right of the foot throttle and towards the rear.
                  > The shift lever will be a simple forward and rearward motion. The length of the stroke can be decided by the length of the levers. The shift rod will be some 3/8th stainless bar material. Cable shifts are a very poor design as there is no assist in either direction. A couple cotter pins to hold the rod and levers in position. The rod shape may take a few trials for a good feel and detent. Frank

                • rick haywood
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                    i sure liked my '65 dodge dart charger gt convertible with a 273 in it, the push button dash shifter was smooth and easy. if one isn't working correctly it is like any other shifter something is wrong with the set up.   rick

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                      The shifter in my Travco is cable operated. A cable is OK if it is used in a pulling situation, but with this shifter, the cable is used to push the shift lever on the side of transmission. Over time, the inner cable gets no lubrication and some moisture, and the cable is stuck. When something gets stuck, we add more force, and the cable kinks, never to be correct again. Poor design in my opinion. Frank
                    • Bill Miller
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                        My advise would be to get a new cable. It evidently lasted for a long time, and with proper maintenance a replacement cable will most likely out last you.

                        It doesn't happen much anymore, but when I ran a service station , back in the 60's, every time we had a vehicle on the lift , all the cables and joints got a shot of oil or penetrating fluid.

                        Nowadays, most people even forget about changing the oil, and even when they do get it changed, that is all that gets done usually. Oil, Filter and grease if you request it. You want all the cables lubed and check the rear end fluid,that is EXTRA, and a lot of places won't even do it. Some don't even know how.
                        Most of these QUICK CHANGE places do not even drain the oil through the drain plug, but use a vacuum hose to suck out the old oil. If there is sludge in the bottom of the crankcase it stays there. THIS is PROGRESS???

                        mainiac bill

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                          well at-least in oregon you can get them to pump your gas! but yes they do not check stuff. when i first got the chevy i had i took it to walmart and asked specifically if they would lube the front and drive shaft, and check the rear....they put this blue marker stuff on the plug in the rear but missed cleaning it. it had never been moved. and the front end was still dry from no lube as was the driveshaft. they did charge me 20 dollars extra, i went back the next day and chewed the store manager out.  something else redwing caught when i used it to pay him off was they used this oil filter that would work for a 4 cyl engine but not for a v-8.    rick

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012
                            Sounds like an age and maintaince issue. A bit of cable lube would have keep it working . It did fine for 40 or so years. You will have about the same $$ in the shifter as replaceing the cable. It could be intresting if you were to bump the shifter on the floor either out of park running or not.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012
                                1965 was the last year of the push button, it did not chnage till about june 65, later they brought them back out in limited use vehicles.   rick

                                ________________________________
                                > i sure liked my '65 dodge dart charger gt convertible with a 273 in it, the push button dash shifter was smooth and easy. if one isn't working correctly it is like any other shifter something is wrong with the set up.   rick
                                > I believe 64 was the last for push buttons. They still use a cable shift trans till 65 but hooked it to the bottom of the column and a regular looking shift handle. Goverment interferience again

                                > ________________________________

                              • RogerD
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012
                                  Walmart is notorious for lousy lube service. Unless you know someone in the auto department I would avoid using them. Did it once - never again! The price is tempting, but you get what you pay for. I usually lube myself, so don't know how other places compare.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012
                                    I agree with others here that the shift cable operation is not inherently bad, as they were used very successfully on Chrysler vehicles for a long time.

                                    There are replacement cables, but you don't know for sure which one they used in that application. Might be the same as a Dodge truck, might be specific to the motorhome chassis, or might be a custom application. They can be pricy!

                                    http://www.imperialservices.net/Truckpart.html
                                    http://www.power-trans.net/autoshift.php

                                    Did you know there is a Travco group here on Yahoo?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012
                                      Yes, I always did my own servicing , until Wal-Mart lube service came around ,and shortly after I got hurt,. I found it a whole lot easier to have them do it, and cheaper, too. Until things started wearing out prematurely.That was when I found out the reason they did their service so cheaply.They didn't do it.

                                      No lubing the cables or door hinges,no checking the front and rear differentials,didn't even grease the u joints ,and never check the  air in the tires.I am back to doing it all myself.Now I know it gets done.

                                      mainiac bill