Re: [classicrv] 1978 Silver Streak Class C

  • Henry Blair Jr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
      What is wrong with the engine? Where is it?

      Henry

      Henry K. Blair, Jr.
      603 South Walton Street
      Bethune, SC 29009-9032
      (770) 998-4897, Cell (803) 427-6986 NEW!!!
      henryblairjr@...

      On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM, <bobg@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I've owned this beautiful motorhome and cared for it for quite a while . I
      > have kerpt everything as orgininal as it was in 1978 including the shag
      > carpet. Everything motorhomewise is in perfect working condition, but
      > dealing with the dodge 440 engine has put me at wit's end. I've decided
      > I've had enough and I am trying to put it up for sale and since there are
      > only 40 working ones available in the world ( made from 1976-78) I have not
      > a clue on what to ask for a price. Any ideas?

    • Warren
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
        My boss has a mid 70s dodge road runner, 440 with a six pack. Must be one of those 40 Chrysler 440 engines that run.

        The ole 440 is a strong durable engine. I would not get rid of it just because it is a dodge.
        There may be other issues that are not working properly that need repair. But once repaired. It should run smooth and well with plenty of horses and torque.
        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
        Sent from my iPad 2.

        On Sep 2, 2012, at 12:38 PM, bobg@... wrote:

        > I've owned this beautiful motorhome and cared for it for quite a while . I have kerpt everything as orgininal as it was in 1978 including the shag carpet. Everything motorhomewise is in perfect working condition, but dealing with the dodge 440 engine has put me at wit's end. I've decided I've had enough and I am trying to put it up for sale and since there are only 40 working ones available in the world ( made from 1976-78) I have not a clue on what to ask for a price. Any ideas?

      • Tommy Meadows
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
          Ha, Warren, I think he meant there are only 40 motorhomes like it, not only 40 Dodge 440's.

          Tommy

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
            Ahhh. Leave it to me to mess it up. Lol.

            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
            Sent from my iPad 2.

            On Sep 2, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Tommy Meadows <rthomasmeadows@...> wrote:

            > Ha, Warren, I think he meant there are only 40 motorhomes like it, not only 40 Dodge 440's.
            >
            > Tommy
            > --
            >
            > Warren <wncol2004@...> wrote:
            >
            > My boss has a mid 70s dodge road runner, 440 with a six pack. Must be one of those 40 Chrysler 440 engines that run.
            >
            > The ole 440 is a strong durable engine. I would not get rid of it just because it is a dodge.
            > There may be other issues that are not working properly that need repair. But once repaired. It should run smooth and well with plenty of horses and torque.
            > --
            > Warren
            > 1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
            > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
            > Western KY
            > Sent from my iPad 2.
            >
            > On Sep 2, 2012, at 12:38 PM, bobg@... wrote:
            >
            > > I've owned this beautiful motorhome and cared for it for quite a while . I have kerpt everything as orgininal as it was in 1978 including the shag carpet. Everything motorhomewise is in perfect working condition, but dealing with the dodge 440 engine has put me at wit's end. I've decided I've had enough and I am trying to put it up for sale and since there are only 40 working ones available in the world ( made from 1976-78) I have not a clue on what to ask for a price. Any ideas?

          • Ted Kroll
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
              I have one in a 1978 Allegro 27' motor home and it runs like a new one. It only has 37k miles on it though
              Ted
              My boss has a mid 70s dodge road runner, 440 with a six pack. Must be one of those 40 Chrysler 440 engines that run.

              The ole 440 is a strong durable engine. I would not get rid of it just because it is a dodge.
              There may be other issues that are not working properly that need repair. But once repaired. It should run smooth and well with plenty of horses and torque.
              1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
              Sent from my iPad 2.

              On Sep 2, 2012, at 12:38 PM, bobg@... wrote:

              > I've owned this beautiful motorhome and cared for it for quite a while . I have kerpt everything as orgininal as it was in 1978 including the shag carpet. Everything motorhomewise is in perfect working condition, but dealing with the dodge 440 engine has put me at wit's end. I've decided I've had enough and I am trying to put it up for sale and since there are only 40 working ones available in the world ( made from 1976-78) I have not a clue on what to ask for a price. Any ideas?

            • GlenO
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
                There are probley a 100,000 440s in motoehomes still on the road, you need a older mechanic who remembers them, young guys dont know anything if they cant bring it up on the computer, we deal in old stuff, parts are easy just have the right parts person to look in the book, not on a screen, the 440 was a standby in the vintage motorhomes,