1976 GMC Mini Motorhome

  • gill.trotman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2012
      I just purchased a 1976 GMC Mini Motorhome. Looking for coach wiring diagrams. It has a 350 cu. in. engine in it. It has an electric fuel pump as well as a mechanical fuel pump. I have had all of the hoses, belts, plugs, wires, etc. replaced. It has some issues trying to climb hills here in CO. It has an Eldebrock manifold. What is the ideal carb to match to this manifold?
    • Stu Mitchell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2012
        Congrats!!...

        It may not be the carb as much as the tuning for the altitude. Altitude
        will make any vehicle that doesn't "self adjust" seem anemic.

        Typically on a carb - you either pop some new jets in or adjust the mix to
        compensate (and usually tweak the timing).

        I would suggest reaching out to Edelbrock and the carb maker to get their
        recommendations before you go throwing a new carb on there. Additionally, I
        would contact RV dealers in your neighborhood and see how they set up rigs.

        I live in Georgia, 1200 ft above sea level - I have a brother I am going to
        drive out to visit in Fort Collins CO - I have the venerable 454 with a
        QuadraJet - I KNOW I will have issues when I get out there and will be doing
        exactly what I just suggested.

        If you are just passing through - you can usually get away without dialing
        everything in, but if you plan on spending any time at all in the higher
        altitudes, then it is worth adjusting the mix and timing accordingly. Then
        when hyou drive back down out of the clouds, just put everything back to the
        original tune and drive on.

        Good luck - and I would be very interested to hear what you find out.

        cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue

        Angel & Stu

        ~~~~/)~~~~

        "Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry."
        - Jack Kerouac

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2012
          i live at a high altitude, on my chevy i have a quad which runs perfect either high or low elevation. going higher than where i am i end up running rich not lean, as there is less oxygen higher up for the engine to run on. less air=less power. your idle might drop to 500 from 650, you will have a loss of power but it won't be noticeable unless one plans to live at that altitude it doesn't pay to change anything out for such a short time.  rick

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2012
            Thanks. I will check this out to see if there is an improvement and let you know what the results were.

            Gill

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Stu Mitchell" <cloudnine233@...> wrote:

            > Congrats!!...
            >

            > It may not be the carb as much as the tuning for the altitude. Altitude
            > will make any vehicle that doesn't "self adjust" seem anemic.
            >

            > Typically on a carb - you either pop some new jets in or adjust the mix to
            > compensate (and usually tweak the timing).
            >

            > I would suggest reaching out to Edelbrock and the carb maker to get their
            > recommendations before you go throwing a new carb on there. Additionally, I
            > would contact RV dealers in your neighborhood and see how they set up rigs.
            >

            > I live in Georgia, 1200 ft above sea level - I have a brother I am going to
            > drive out to visit in Fort Collins CO - I have the venerable 454 with a
            > QuadraJet - I KNOW I will have issues when I get out there and will be doing
            > exactly what I just suggested.
            >

            > If you are just passing through - you can usually get away without dialing
            > everything in, but if you plan on spending any time at all in the higher
            > altitudes, then it is worth adjusting the mix and timing accordingly. Then
            > when hyou drive back down out of the clouds, just put everything back to the
            > original tune and drive on.
            >

            > Good luck - and I would be very interested to hear what you find out.
            >

            > cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue
            >
            > Angel & Stu

            > "Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry."
            > - Jack Kerouac

          • mcolie
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2012
              Gill,

              Part of the problem is that it is not a GMC Mini Motorhome. It is somebody's Mini MH built on a 1975 or 6 GMC chassis. If you can find out what chassis (Might be a number like p30 or a C30 if it is a cab-cut-away), then you have a chance at a factory diagram for the chassis. You still have to find the information for the coach part. You will need both the manufacturer and a great deal of luck on that one... Not many still exist.

              Matt