disposing old frig...its easy

  • D
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2012
      How to get rid of an old appliance ?
      Here in my home town of Pewaukee Wis. if I want to rid myself of ..say a small frig. I put it at the end of the driveway , and like magic its gone in a day or less. Anything with any metal in it is scooped up by passing scrappers..Good for them. Try it...The garbage/trash pick up guys cant take it , but some of them will come back after they finish work and haul things away on their own and if you have a good pick up service they will schedule a pick up.
      Or leave it by the road with a for sale sign on it --say 50 bucks and some one will steal it.works either way. he he.
      Good luck
      Doug in the hot rod Fleet-wood
    • Dave S.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2012
        First problem now is to get the hunk of scrap OUT of the hole it is in
        in the trailer. Found ONE screw holding it down via the back cross
        bracket, pulled it and that bit is sort of loose but no screws found in
        front.
        DFD
        On 7/8/2012 8:29 PM, D wrote:
        > How to get rid of an old appliance ?
        > Here in my home town of Pewaukee Wis. if I want to rid myself of ..say a small frig. I put it at the end of the driveway , and like magic its gone in a day or less. Anything with any metal in it is scooped up by passing scrappers..Good for them. Try it...The garbage/trash pick up guys cant take it , but some of them will come back after they finish work and haul things away on their own and if you have a good pick up service they will schedule a pick up.
        > Or leave it by the road with a for sale sign on it --say 50 bucks and some one will steal it.works either way. he he.
        > Good luck
        > Doug in the hot rod Fleet-wood

        My Railroad picture pages are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
        Miscellaneous other pictures are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1
      • rick haywood
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
          depending on how they did it you can also find some under the front trim.   rick

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
            Rick,
            I have the door off and all hinge bracketing removed so far plus I bent
            the top trim up somewhat and found no screws yet. I am starting to think
            it was glued in with "Crazy Glue".. <VBG>
            DFD
            On 7/9/2012 5:55 AM, rick haywood wrote:
            > depending on how they did it you can also find some under the front trim. rick

          • Don Bahrman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
              There is probably some hold down brackets around the bottom someplace, just my 2
              cent worth hope it helps.

              ________________________________
              I have the door off and all hinge bracketing removed so far plus I bent
              the top trim up somewhat and found no screws yet. I am starting to think
              it was glued in with "Crazy Glue".. <VBG>
              DFD
              On 7/9/2012 5:55 AM, rick haywood wrote:
              > depending on how they did it you can also find some under the front trim.
              >rick

            • Todd Barnard
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
                Yes, Dave, there could be as many a 4 screws in the front, look for plastic
                screw covers, if that model has the controls on the top, you might have to
                remove the "eyebrow" panel to get at some too.

                Your local dealer might take the carcass if they can salvage the
                electronics. I kept a good inventory of used parts to fix up our sold used
                units.

                In Ontario, I would take old refers to the local landfill where they would
                have me place them in a pen with house type refers that were going to get
                the freon recovered.

                I would always tell them that mine didnt have freon, but they insisted I do
                this to cover their a$$es!

                Our shop eventually found a guy that took all of our scrap just so he could
                get the aluminum from damaged awnings etc.

                Here in Denver we have the same situation Doug mentioned....set it on the
                curb and its gone in no time...post it on Craigs list and folks will be
                showing up all day.

                Take care, Todd.
                On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Dave S. <daslater@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Rick,
                > I have the door off and all hinge bracketing removed so far plus I bent
                > the top trim up somewhat and found no screws yet. I am starting to think
                > it was glued in with "Crazy Glue".. <VBG>
                > DFD
                >
                > On 7/9/2012 5:55 AM, rick haywood wrote:
                > > depending on how they did it you can also find some under the front
                > trim. rick

              • Ted Kroll
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
                  Have U looked from the outside on the floor Dave? That's where mine are at least some of them.

                  Ted

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
                    Don,
                    Any suggestions are welcome right now....
                    DFD

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
                      There was one in the back bracket near where the propane hooks
                      up.Couldn't see any others and am going to have to wait a few days as I
                      need to get some deck work done on the house....
                      DFD