Freon?

  • tom
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
      I have an old '82 Cross Country MH that needs a shot of freon in the roof AC's. Is it R132 or R22 or what?
      Any help appreciated.
      Thanks
      Tom B
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
        All the roof units I know of do not have ports for adding freon...unless someone added it in the past. I had a 40+ year old roof air on my airstream and it did not have ports. It burned out its compressor a few years ago. Had to replace the whole unit.

        Check all the heat exchangers and make sure they are clean and have good air flow.
        Then if that doesn't work, consider a recharge but..you will be hard pressed to find anyone that will do that if you can't do it your self.

        You have to balance the pressures correctly or it won't work properly so just putting in a shot may not fix it.

        I have no idea what freon it has in there.

        Sent from my iPad 2.

        On Apr 5, 2012, at 6:17 AM, "tom" <TBBahner@...> wrote:

        > I have an old '82 Cross Country MH that needs a shot of freon in the roof AC's. Is it R132 or R22 or what?
        > Any help appreciated.
        > Thanks
        > Tom B

      • rick haywood
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
          the early units like your used r-12 which would probably cost more than the unit is worth, the newer units use r-132 which is cheaper. r-12 and r132 will not mix so you would not only find the leak if it has one but make sure you put a good vacuum on it for a few days to be sure to get all the r-12. more than likely your compressor is toast.  Rick

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
            Not only is R12 expensive but, I believe the laws in the US have changed so
            that to even purchase it you have to be a certified and licensed R12
            technician with all the proper equipment to complete the proper job of
            vacating all the old R12 properly. Yah, Cheaper to just replace the whole
            unit if that is the case. I was unable to find anyone willing to fix my
            old roof unit so I guess you will have a hard time finding someone as well.

            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

            On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM, rick haywood <haywood_rick@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > the early units like your used r-12 which would probably cost more than
            > the unit is worth, the newer units use r-132 which is cheaper. r-12 and
            > r132 will not mix so you would not only find the leak if it has one but
            > make sure you put a good vacuum on it for a few days to be sure to get all
            > the r-12. more than likely your compressor is toast. Rick

          • Ted Kroll