Re: [classicrv] Help! Roof repair behind awning on 1989 Coachman Catalina

  • Dave S.
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2012
      Jim,
      Yes I found them and you have a lot more damage there than I figured. I
      am going to defer to some of the more experienced repair folks here as I
      am way over my head and at 6'5" tall that's hard to do.. <VBG>
      I do agree with Dusty's idea of termite proof wood or a pressure treated
      wood that will also resist rotting from any moisture exposure.

      Deep Freeze Dave.

      On 3/31/2012 8:15 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
      > Did you find the pictures? Thanks Jim

      My Railroad picture pages are at
      www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
      Miscellaneous other pictures are at
      www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

    • Dick
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hi Jim,
        Sorry to say, but you have,definitely got a time consuming job ahead of you! That said, it's not overly complicated, just like pick and shovel work. First you need to stop more water from coming in, possibly a tarp to begin with. Next remove all of the inside covering door trim and cabinets, etc. in the damaged area. Once the inside wall is opened, you can assess the damage. I am not familiar with your brand, but would expect a welded steel frame with wooden members attached to support the inside and outside coverings. All of the damaged wood needs to be replaced (recommend, pressure treated wood). You will need to remove the awning (completely), and also remove outside covering in the damaged area to accomplish a proper repair. Be careful in the removal and storage of all items that you wish to reuse, and don't destroy them in the removal. You may need to get creative in redecorating, as it may be impossible to duplicate the interior finish. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
        Sincerely,
        RWC

        > Hello Jim - just a suggestion - I would tie the corners of roof and side together with termite treated 2x4 piece of wood - securing first the roof and then the sides.  Then you could apply a roof sealer and proceed to replace other items.

      • Blue Dog
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2012
          from the looks of the damage i am betting the whole side will have to come off, and quite possibly everything off the floor as well. best fix is to do the whole rv, as i bet there is way more than the little that shows. rick

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dick" <dickcobbs1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jim,
          > Sorry to say, but you have,definitely got a time consuming job ahead of you! That said, it's not overly complicated, just like pick and shovel work. First you need to stop more water from coming in, possibly a tarp to begin with. Next remove all of the inside covering door trim and cabinets, etc. in the damaged area. Once the inside wall is opened, you can assess the damage. I am not familiar with your brand, but would expect a welded steel frame with wooden members attached to support the inside and outside coverings. All of the damaged wood needs to be replaced (recommend, pressure treated wood). You will need to remove the awning (completely), and also remove outside covering in the damaged area to accomplish a proper repair. Be careful in the removal and storage of all items that you wish to reuse, and don't destroy them in the removal. You may need to get creative in redecorating, as it may be impossible to duplicate the interior finish. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
          > Sincerely,
          > RWC

        • Stu
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2012
            Hey Jim,

            I am new to this group and new to RV's, but I have some pretty good history with sailboats (keels vs wheels). Fiberglass and epoxy resins can do some remarkable and very permannet things. When adding bulkhead to the inside of a boat, I tab with fiberglass, seal with epoxy resins mixed with filler (maybe sawdust, if I need a "look"). For the wood, I paint with epoxy(and hardener) and let it soak in - keeps water and bugs out - not as heavy or expensive as pressure treated. PT wood is good for fence posts or decking where you know it will see the elements all day long, but not so good for internal structure.

            Another marine product, is 3M 5200 sealant when you are ready for that stage - permanent, won't leak, beats silicone hands down for exterior applications.

            Good luck, it sounds like you have your hands full, but it probably will take less than you think to bring her back...

            IF you find wood that you think is ok,go ahead and paint it also with the epoxy mix....it'll seep into the fibers of the wood and reinforce it. Also, forces out moisture - essentially creating your own "treated" wood.

            Just some thoughts, I'd definitely get other input also.

            But to me, as in boats - lightweight, strong, flexible and waterproof is the goal.

            Good luck

            -Stu