Re: [classicrv] 1981 Midas Motorhome On Gmc Chassis

  • rick haywood
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
      coachman and midas were made by the same manufacturer. here is an url to veiw the various floor plans and other info on the midas. as for the carb a good soaking in carb cleaner and blowing it out will get rid of the old varnish, you will be hard pressed to find another carb for it, maybe on ebay but not a dealer. alot of stuff is pretty easy to find for the gmc chassis, try using p-30 for alot of parts at parts stores thats how they will list alot of them.
      your biggest worry is those tires if they are over 5 years old you risk blowing one out and when it does taking out a large secton of rv along with it. definetly go a alot slower for sure maybe even fifty and thats pushing it. won't do any good to cold proof it if the tires blow.  winter tricks for fulltiming is carry a heat tape long enough for the water hose, dump the black as often as you can, don't leave it open or it will pyramid and then you will have trouble. open cabinets a few inches to let heat in especially where the pump and water inlet comes into the house.
      one thing to think on is if the frame is weak it won't handle a snow load and will make the ceiling sink in. for a great place to learn how to repair an rv, join the rv repair group below. midas and coachman were pretty nice homes if taken care of.      Rick

      http://www.gmcmotorhome.com/faq/GMC23Interior.html%c2%a0

      #2) WHat chassis is my motorhome on? it has a chevy 454 motor with a th400 transmission. It is a class a not a mini motorhome (class c)?

      #3) when calling a parts store (autozone, o reily/schucks), what do i tell them to be able to get the correct parts? they usually ask for make and model and year but im finding that motorhomes are a completely different beast and the major issues with my motorhome are mechanical having to do with the chassis more so than the motorhome portion itself.

      I plan to gut the entire inside as it has been leaked on and the framing members (wood) have gotten wet to the point some are rotted. I am an expert at all things building and pretty good at bulding projects of any type from scratch, however I always find it very wise to seek the help and input of others whom have done something similar in the past.

      #4) Does anyhone know where to call to get oman generator parts? I need to rebuild the carb on mine as the previous guy said it would not run without continuous carb cleaner sprayed into it.

      #5) Tires on it are cracked in the sidewall and pretty old im sure they are size 8r 19.5. It is a dually in the rear. I know its ideal to replace them and be safe but I am thinking of starting with the steer tires and, when i finish renovation heading to north dakota for work and getting the duallys replace as I get money from that. the trip is around 1000 miles. My question is will that work, meaning is there someone out there who has been driving on cracked sidewall tires

      and been ok. I know it would be better and safer to replace and if i had the cash I would but the renovation will likeley suck up all my cash and I need the rv to very cold weather ready.

      I am planning on removing everything interior and repairing frame as necessary. perhaps adding some steel re-enforcement as I go. Then I will do electrical and then put up 2" of blue xps foam board insulation and make sure the interior (floor, ceiling, walls) are pretty well airtight and completely insulated. Then I am adding insulation boxes with wood exteriors to the various waste and grey water tanks, as the fresh water tank is inside. then covering it all with maple melamine panels and making the interior bright and pleasing with the windows covered (more insulation) I will be adding outlets as I go for lamps and etc.

      #5) Im thinking the electrical on an rv is same as house right? so I can run it like a house?

      #6) does anyone know of a parts catalog for building rvs or remodeling rvs where I can find materials specific to rvs?

      The roof has leaks in several spots. previous owners tried to repair it by rolling the white roofing in a can but it appears that didnt work too well. so im thinking of hitting the whole roof with a wire wheel on a grinder and getting rid or everything on the seams and starting again. but I have never done this so I need input on rv roof and seam sealing. Also the windows have silicone around a lot of them (another diy who doesnt know what they're doing repair.) so any input on this?

      ok sorry for the long post, ill stop there for now, but man am i excited to transform this beast in a beauty. and I will provide pics and info as I go.

    • rick haywood
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
        forgot to mention your motorhome does not have a 400tranny, its a 425 has stronger parts inside.    Rick

        #2) WHat chassis is my motorhome on? it has a chevy 454 motor with a th400 transmission. It is a class a not a mini motorhome (class c)?

        #4) Does anyhone know where to call to get oman generator parts? I need to rebuild the carb on mine as the previous guy said it would not run without continuous carb cleaner sprayed into it.

        #5) Im thinking the electrical on an rv is same as house right? so I can run it like a house?

        #6) does anyone know of a parts catalog for building rvs or remodeling rvs where I can find materials specific to rvs?

        The roof has leaks in several spots. previous owners tried to repair it by rolling the white roofing in a can but it appears that didnt work too well. so im thinking of hitting the whole roof with a wire wheel on a grinder and getting rid or everything on the seams and starting again. but I have never done this so I need input on rv roof and seam sealing. Also the windows have silicone around a lot of them (another diy who doesnt know what they're doing repair.) so any input on this?

        ok sorry for the long post, ill stop there for now, but man am i excited to transform this beast in a beauty. and I will provide pics and info as I go.

      • Jabba Truck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
          THM425 was a front wheel drive variant of the 400.  It was originally installed
          in Olds Toronados and Cadillac Eldorados, but eventually found its way into FWD
          motorgomes made by Cortez and GMC.

          The rear wheel drive variant of the turbo 400 used for P30s is the Turbo 475
          (AKA 3L80HD).

          ________________________________

          #4) Does anyhone know where to call to get oman generator parts? I need to
          rebuild the carb on mine as the previous guy said it would not run without
          continuous carb cleaner sprayed into it.

          #5) Im thinking the electrical on an rv is same as house right? so I can run it
          like a house?

          #6) does anyone know of a parts catalog for building rvs or remodeling rvs where
          I can find materials specific to rvs?

          The roof has leaks in several spots. previous owners tried to repair it by
          rolling the white roofing in a can but it appears that didnt work too well. so
          im thinking of hitting the whole roof with a wire wheel on a grinder and getting
          rid or everything on the seams and starting again. but I have never done this so
          I need input on rv roof and seam sealing. Also the windows have silicone around
          a lot of them (another diy who doesnt know what they're doing repair.) so any
          input on this?

          ok sorry for the long post, ill stop there for now, but man am i excited to
          transform this beast in a beauty. and I will provide pics and info as I go.

        • tom
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
            I'm a total newbie myself but have done quite a bit of research before I purchased.
            Everything I've read says 5-7 years on the tires. The ones on my Cross Country are 6 years old, have no weather cracks with only 1000 mi. on them. They will be the first things replaced. A 1k drive on weather cracked tires sounds risky.
            Hope everything works out on your project.
            Tom B