living in rv with children

  • Teresa Benson
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
      Does anyone know of any laws in ohio about living in an Rv on our own property with children. I have a 14 year old and someone doesn't seem to like my situation and called children services. I don't know what to do when they come to visit next week. Any suggestions. I have electric, gas and internet. Also septic for dumping.

      Thanks
      Teresa
    • thomas phetteplace
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
        Maybe zoning laws..(no RV parking in that neighborhood )

      • thomas phetteplace
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
          Ppl REALLY need to mind their own business...

        • rick haywood
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
            No. It is unlawful for anyone to live in a recreational vehicle parked on any public property such as the street, park, alley, public parking lot or any other public way or private property other than licensed rv or trailer parks. It has to do with zoning laws in Ohio, and occupancy laws as well.
            Ohio law considers "mobile" and "manufactured" to be the same thing, so if you want to set up mobile/rv/manufactured homes in Ohio, you will need to follow state laws on licensing, installation and locations and permits for any residential use. you might be able to get away for a while tho until the county comes after you when the neighbors report that use.  Rick

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
              I forgot to mention I live in the country 5 miles from town and am on my own property.
              Teresa
            • Dave S.
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
                That's a HUGE AMEN!!!!!
                Deep Freeze Dave S.

                On 12/23/2011 10:39 AM, thomas phetteplace wrote:
                > Ppl REALLY need to mind their own business...

                My Railroad picture pages are at
                www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
                Miscellaneous other pictures are at
                www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

              • Don Bahrman
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
                  Hi, Rick, I thought he said private property, maybe not, anyway the only thing I
                  can see wrong in the picture is the 14 year old should be under prenatal
                  guidance's until he 18; I think that is the general law or rule thought all the
                  states. It might have change by now I haven't even been to that rodeo, just what
                  I've heard.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
                    I know you missed where i said private property, but yes it does cover private property, that doesn't even touch on the age of the persons living in it, its housing laws from state and county and or city laws of Ohio that interfere with how and where one lives either public or private, and how or where the so called home is and how it is set up, boils down to codes(laws) controlling what is a house/mobile home/ manufactured home, rv trailer or motorhome. and how the codes deal with such use.In 98% of the counties in ohio, they require permits to set up anything, or license if you will, without this permit or license it is unlawful occupancy and can be dealt with appropriately by controlling authorities, I have even seen them condemn a property when notice is issued and a landowner loses what he/she has.
                    Even is such a state as Missouri, not all counties control what is lived in and even a tar paper shack is good, but in others it is restricted use for private or public property.
                    In some states, even the idea of changing your water heater out requires a permit, I know, silly but its a law out there for a few.    Plenty of silly laws out there that can catch you.   Rick

                    From: Teresa Benson <terry_luv2garden@...>

                    To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
                      Talk to the county where you live about what zoning laws are on the books, I am betting there are a few there and it can catch you. You can start with the "
                      Ohio Model Zoning Code " most of them follow it.  Rick

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
                        Getting of the subject here, but I also believe I read somewhere that Ohio was
                        one of the states that cut bad the heating of hot meals for seniors that
                        couldn't get around to fend for them self. There providers was cut of from
                        funding from the government, along with Oregon and Ca. It's getting worse out
                        there, sorry I get off the soap box. LET FREEDOM RING.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011
                          No idea about the laws there. Should not be any different than in a mobile home. But, are you a resident of that state? May make a big difference if they have any say.
                          Also consider hitching up and heading elsewhere before they get there.

                          Sent from my iPad 2.

                          On Dec 23, 2011, at 10:33 AM, "Teresa Benson" <terry_luv2garden@...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone know of any laws in ohio about living in an Rv on our own property with children. I have a 14 year old and someone doesn't seem to like my situation and called children services. I don't know what to do when they come to visit next week. Any suggestions. I have electric, gas and internet. Also septic for dumping.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Teresa

                        • mcolie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 24, 2011
                            Teresa,

                            I do not know the laws in Ohio, but if they get tough with you, get a lawyer. By convention in most states (I am VERY familiar with Michigan - unfortunately), CPS must have some reason to take children from a home and that must be that the child's health or safety is at risk. Unfortunately (again), this is a real big gray area.

                            If things get tense and they say non-verifiable things like "living space" and "personal space" (liberal terms for you should buy more house than you can afford), then you need to ask them about the several hundred "live aboard" children that live aboard boats on Lake Erie and the Ohio River.

                            Good Luck

                            Matt Colie

                            ---+ In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Benson" <terry_luv2garden@...> wrote:

                            > Does anyone know of any laws in ohio about living in an Rv on our own property with children. I have a 14 year old and someone doesn't seem to like my situation and called children services. I don't know what to do when they come to visit next week. Any suggestions. I have electric, gas and internet. Also septic for dumping.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Teresa

                          • wpmartin55
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 24, 2011
                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Benson" <terry_luv2garden@...> wrote:

                              > Does anyone know of any laws in ohio about living in an Rv on our own property with children. I have a 14 year old and someone doesn't seem to like my situation and called children services. I don't know what to do when they come to visit next week. Any suggestions. I have electric, gas and internet. Also septic for dumping.

                              As others have mentioned, find out if mobile homes are allowed in your area. If they are, you're good.

                              You didn't mention if your child is attending public school or not. I recommend you join the Yahoo Group "Families on the Road" (FOTR) because they are all people who live in an RV, mobile or not, with families. They have dealt with a lot of this stuff.

                              The other problem I see if that IF you are receiving any welfare (green stamps, funds, medical card, etc.) then the State thinks they have the right to tell you how to live, including how many square feet/child and that they need to have their "own" room. Of course, that's usually not possible in an RV unless it's quite large. Avoid taking anything from social services, and then they have less to say about how you live your life. If you have utilities and your area is okay for mobile homes, and your child is being educated (including home school), then the State should have nothing to say.

                              Cindy
                            • rthomasmeadows@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                                Teresa (and all),

                                I'm sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to emphatically DITTO Matt's
                                suggestion. . . GET A LAWYER.

                                I am not an attorney, but I am a parental rights advocate, and a proponent
                                of parental authority and involvement in the raising of children. See
                                _www.parentalrights.org_ (http://www.parentalrights.org) for the kinds of
                                things I work for in this regard. I am also not particularly knowledgeable
                                about Ohio laws, so an Ohio attorney knowledgeable in family law is
                                essential. If you are a homeschooler, I recommend _www.hslda.org_
                                (http://www.hslda.org) .

                                All the other replies to your message talking about zoning and such are
                                not wrong, but they are missing the larger point. CPS is not coming to see
                                you about zoning. Your county/city code enforcement does that. CPS shows
                                up for child welfare issues. You can be perfectly compliant with zoning and
                                still be in trouble with CPS, or you can be out of compliance with zoning
                                and make CPS happy -- they're two different bodies of regulation and
                                enforcement. Of course, CPS could report you to code enforcement or vice versa.

                                CPS does not have a right to enter your home without a lawyer, unless you
                                let them in. So do not open the door. You need to consult a lawyer to
                                determine under what circumstances they can interview your children. You
                                should always treat a CPS investigation as though it were a criminal
                                investigation, and you are the suspect. You have the right to remain silent. . . You
                                have the right to an attorney. . .

                                Again, get a lawyer. If you need help finding one, or have questions I
                                can answer, feel free to contact me off-list at _rthomasmeadows@..._
                                (mailto:rthomasmeadows@...) .

                                Tommy
                                Durango