Re: Useing Propane furnace verses Space Heater???

  • ehces
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 12, 2011
      Bob,

      As far as I know the BTU content of liquid propane is around 92,000 BTU/gallon which equates to approximately 22,000 BTU/pound. I've never heard of a significant difference in the BTU content of liquid propane at different temperatures.

      In your situation I think it would be very difficult to "calculate" the actual cost of propane use without some empirical measurement of temperature (inside and outside), time on, and propane used. One reason is that furnace efficiency, which is probably 80% or less needs to be factored in. Another is that the furnace would most likely not run full time.

      I suspect that in your situation space heaters would always be more cost effective and definitely more convenient.

      MOO
      Ben

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <ke5ftf@...> wrote:

      > I have a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain (31 ft.).
      > I pay 10 cents a killwatt hour for shore power, no other fees...
      > Propane is $3.25 a gallon...
      > My furnace is rated at 34,000 BTU...
      > Winters in Austin are not that severe but I do need to heat at night & in the mornings...
      > As I have read a gallon of propane gives you 94,000 BTUs max & 64,000 BTU at 0 degrees F...
      > Doing the math looks like the furnace uses 1.8 gallons of propane per hour at the outside 0 degrees F (worst case)...
      > Sooooo... $3.25 times 1.8 gallons + $5.85 an hour to use the furnace on
      > propane.... Ouch.. :(
      > When I was using the space heater through the night & in the morning I was using around $2 of power for a 24 hour period...
      > My math may be wrong above, don't think there would be that much difference...
      > Bob

    • Joyce
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 6, 2012
        I have easy access at my neighbors,but the view inside the barn leaves alot to be desired. I am very lucky to have free indoor storage. Joyce

        Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone