Re: [classicrv] sinking ac

  • Todd Barnard
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
      I did get a call on a Chieftain years ago that had a roof leak, the
      customer had told me on the phone he thought it was around the TV antenna.
      I got on the roof and found the entire aluminum skin was punky, many tiny
      holes all over it.

      He had bought it used in southern Florida and someone later told him it was
      the salt air that caused it.

      Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I wondered if maybe a cleaning solvent
      might have done this.

      Todd.

    • wayne
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
        I have a 1985 Chieftain , and I live in Florida .Close to the coast . I dont have this problem . YET ! I havent heard this before , but I dont know everything .

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

        > I did get a call on a Chieftain years ago that had a roof leak, the
        > customer had told me on the phone he thought it was around the TV antenna.
        > I got on the roof and found the entire aluminum skin was punky, many tiny
        > holes all over it.
        >
        > He had bought it used in southern Florida and someone later told him it was
        > the salt air that caused it.
        >
        > Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I wondered if maybe a cleaning solvent
        > might have done this.
        >
        > Todd.

      • Todd Barnard
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
          I had a little trouble believing it myself.

          For a long time it was thought that the "black streaks" found on RVs came
          from the aluminum roofing, so they painted them.

          When the marks continued, it was thought to be leaching out of the putty
          and sealants used on RVs.

          Our local Fleetwood plant told us they removed a chunk of siding from a
          new, but streaked trailer in their yard and had it analyzed and it turned
          out to be air pollution.

          In other words, there was nothing they could do to stop it. This meant a
          ton of cleaners were sold to wash the streaks away, and lots of folks came
          up with their own recipes.

          I heard many say they used bleach and Comet...that could surely affect a
          roof over time.

          On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM, wayne <vulcanman1500@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I have a 1985 Chieftain , and I live in Florida .Close to the coast . I
          > dont have this problem . YET ! I havent heard this before , but I dont know
          > everything .
          >

          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I did get a call on a Chieftain years ago that had a roof leak, the
          > > customer had told me on the phone he thought it was around the TV
          > antenna.
          > > I got on the roof and found the entire aluminum skin was punky, many tiny
          > > holes all over it.
          > >
          > > He had bought it used in southern Florida and someone later told him it
          > was
          > > the salt air that caused it.
          > >
          > > Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I wondered if maybe a cleaning solvent
          > > might have done this.
          > >
          > > Todd.

        • wpmartin55
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
            > winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
            > as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
            > two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
            > good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
            > course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
            > what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.

            I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing it didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you looked, I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try to install one.
            Cindy
          • Henry Blair Jr.
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
              Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
              14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
              built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
              would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
              over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side of
              the AC.

              On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
              > > winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
              > > as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
              > > two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
              > > good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
              > > course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
              > > what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.
              >
              > I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing it
              > didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you looked,
              > I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try to
              > install one.
              > Cindy

            • Todd Barnard
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                Henry, I'm guessing you are right, with this being a Winnebago. Like I
                mentioned. my folks '78 Brave was "AC Ready" with a chase for the wiring
                leading to a vent.

                However, we did have to request this from Fleetwood in the 1970s and early
                '80s in order to get 14/2 run to a vent and extra blocking around it.

                It became a "forced option" around 1987, when the Prowler Lynx and Terry
                Resort showed up. Thats how it working in Canada anyway, where people
                worried more about the furnace!

                Back in those days AC and an 18' awning each cost about $1100, so our
                people leaned towards the awning. Eventually we were selling 13000 BTU ACs
                for $599 while awnings never dropped much in price.

                On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Henry Blair Jr. <henryblairjr@...>wrote:

                > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side of
                > the AC.
                >
                > Henry
                >
                > Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                > 603 South Walton Street
                > Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                > (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
                > henryblairjr@...
                >

                > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
                > > > winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
                > > > as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
                > > > two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
                > > > good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
                > > > course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
                > > > what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.
                > >
                > > I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing
                > it
                > > didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you
                > looked,
                > > I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try to
                > > install one.
                > > Cindy

              • Henry Blair Jr.
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                  Of course where I live, the furnace is not as significant. I just had an
                  enclosed trailer made and did have to specify that I wanted an additional
                  vent put in the roof for a later AC installation. It did have a special
                  brace behind the vent.

                  I seen a few sunken AC's and all were a problem with ceiling leaks and wood
                  rot. I have never seen an AC with a steel framed vent that sank. In any
                  case, it is only a few screws to investigate.

                  On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Henry, I'm guessing you are right, with this being a Winnebago. Like I
                  > mentioned. my folks '78 Brave was "AC Ready" with a chase for the wiring
                  > leading to a vent.
                  >
                  > However, we did have to request this from Fleetwood in the 1970s and early
                  > '80s in order to get 14/2 run to a vent and extra blocking around it.
                  >
                  > It became a "forced option" around 1987, when the Prowler Lynx and Terry
                  > Resort showed up. Thats how it working in Canada anyway, where people
                  > worried more about the furnace!
                  >
                  > Back in those days AC and an 18' awning each cost about $1100, so our
                  > people leaned towards the awning. Eventually we were selling 13000 BTU ACs
                  > for $599 while awnings never dropped much in price.
                  >
                  > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Henry Blair Jr. <henryblairjr@...
                  > >wrote:
                  >

                  > > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                  > > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                  > > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                  > > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                  > > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side
                  > of
                  > > the AC.
                  > >
                  > > Henry
                  > >
                  > > Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                  > > 603 South Walton Street
                  > > Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                  > > (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
                  > > henryblairjr@...
                  > >

                  > > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  >

                  > > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...>

                  > think
                  > pretty
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing
                  > > it
                  > > > didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you
                  > > looked,
                  > > > I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try
                  > > > install one.
                  > > > Cindy

                • wpmartin55
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2011
                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Blair Jr." <henryblairjr@...> wrote:

                    > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                    > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                    > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                    > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                    > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side of
                    > the AC.

                    Wow, every AC I've looked at weighs in the vacinity of 95 lbs. You must be strong from all those years of carrying them around. :)
                    My point is that there may NOT have been a mounting bracket and it may NOT have been put in a 14 X 14 vent hole, but some brain child just put an AC in by cutting a hole and running a wire. I've seen it done by some trailer owners. They end up with roof sag because there is no support, or they only put a small 1X1 or 1X2 as a piece to mount the AC to. I've always advocated that if they have the trailer gutted then they should run the same kind of supports you would on a vertical wall when installing a window with headers, etc. Maybe that's overkill, but in a wood frame it's more necessary. If this RV has metal framing, then it might not be such a big deal. At any rate. I hope the cause can be found an remedied, or just walk away.

                    I recently purchased a trailer that will need extensive roof work - it's all lumpy and bumpy. Not sure what's caused it and we can't look at it until spring. I'm afraid of what I might find.
                    Cindy
                  • Henry Blair Jr.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2011
                      These AC's were very old Colemans, and I do not think they were that
                      heavy.I was about 60 at the time. They were both bad, so I picked them up,
                      took them to the back of the RV, and threw them to the ground, one at a
                      time. Now, about 10 years later, I think one may be the limit. I would
                      hope no one is stupid enough to just cut a hole and drop one in, but I am
                      amazed by these types of things every day. The worst, a dash in an old
                      motor home rewired with 8 wire phone cable.

                      On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Blair Jr." <henryblairjr@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                      > > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                      > > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                      > > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                      > > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side
                      > of
                      > > the AC.
                      > >
                      > Wow, every AC I've looked at weighs in the vacinity of 95 lbs. You must be
                      > strong from all those years of carrying them around. :)
                      > My point is that there may NOT have been a mounting bracket and it may NOT
                      > have been put in a 14 X 14 vent hole, but some brain child just put an AC
                      > in by cutting a hole and running a wire. I've seen it done by some trailer
                      > owners. They end up with roof sag because there is no support, or they only
                      > put a small 1X1 or 1X2 as a piece to mount the AC to. I've always advocated
                      > that if they have the trailer gutted then they should run the same kind of
                      > supports you would on a vertical wall when installing a window with
                      > headers, etc. Maybe that's overkill, but in a wood frame it's more
                      > necessary. If this RV has metal framing, then it might not be such a big
                      > deal. At any rate. I hope the cause can be found an remedied, or just walk
                      > away.
                      >
                      > I recently purchased a trailer that will need extensive roof work - it's
                      > all lumpy and bumpy. Not sure what's caused it and we can't look at it
                      > until spring. I'm afraid of what I might find.
                      > Cindy

                    • Todd Barnard
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2011
                        Yep, a few of us at our shop could lock our hand in the outlet of Coleman
                        and DuoTherm ACs and then hoist them up on our shoulders to carry then up a
                        ladder and set them on the roof. That was the only way one man could get
                        one on a roof without damaging the shroud.

                        The true is there is was easy way for two people to do it on ladders
                        either!

                        Did a lot of foolish things like that when I was a young bull, now I'm not
                        quite 50 with a broken down shoulder, back and knees!