sinking ac

  • darrell
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
      Ive been eyeballing a 86 winnebago for awhile now waiting for the owner to get more realistic on her price..the thing that worries me most is that the exterior ac unit seems to be sinking lower into the interior...if even looks to me like its sinking when Im on the roof and it must puddle alot of water while sitting..altho no signs of water leakage inside...besides this..the motorhome seems to be very nice..with 43k on the clock..this would probably have to be an expensive professional repair job..would anyone like to hazard a guess..as I would have to add the repair price onto the buy price..I was thinking maybe one of you have had to deal with this problem on a project or whatever..thanks
    • Todd Barnard
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
        Hi Darrell,

        I'm not familiar with the roof construction on that year on winnebago, I
        installed an AC on a 1978 brave for my folks years ago and I remember the
        roof was an aluminum skin with Styrofoam insulation. I did not get a look
        at the rafters, but I assumed they were wood.

        If the roof is sagging inside and out then I would assume that the rafters
        on either side of the Ac are broken.

        Did you notice what the roof skin was? Replacing or sistering to the old
        rafters is a big job whether you tackle it from the inside or the exterior.

        If the roof skin is in questionable shape, then replacing it with a rubber
        roof would be an Ideal, but still not inexpensive option.

        Usually the rafters wont break without some water damage to start the wall
        rolling, but it can happen it the roof has been overloaded with snow, or
        even partiers!

        For a safe estimate, call an RV dealer for a ball park estimate to install
        a rubber roof on a rig that length with a few rafter repairs thrown in.

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
          Here is a link to their parts manuals etc, I don't know what they'll tell
          you re roof construction.

          http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/

          On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

          > Hi Darrell,
          >
          > I'm not familiar with the roof construction on that year on winnebago, I
          > installed an AC on a 1978 brave for my folks years ago and I remember the
          > roof was an aluminum skin with Styrofoam insulation. I did not get a look
          > at the rafters, but I assumed they were wood.
          >
          > If the roof is sagging inside and out then I would assume that the rafters
          > on either side of the Ac are broken.
          >
          > Did you notice what the roof skin was? Replacing or sistering to the old
          > rafters is a big job whether you tackle it from the inside or the exterior.
          >
          > If the roof skin is in questionable shape, then replacing it with a rubber
          > roof would be an Ideal, but still not inexpensive option.
          >
          > Usually the rafters wont break without some water damage to start the wall
          > rolling, but it can happen it the roof has been overloaded with snow, or
          > even partiers!
          >
          > For a safe estimate, call an RV dealer for a ball park estimate to install
          > a rubber roof on a rig that length with a few rafter repairs thrown in.
          >
          > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:25 PM, darrell <azurevirus@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Ive been eyeballing a 86 winnebago for awhile now waiting for the owner
          >> to get more realistic on her price..the thing that worries me most is that
          >> the exterior ac unit seems to be sinking lower into the interior...if even
          >> looks to me like its sinking when Im on the roof and it must puddle alot of
          >> water while sitting..altho no signs of water leakage inside...besides
          >> this..the motorhome seems to be very nice..with 43k on the clock..this
          >> would probably have to be an expensive professional repair job..would
          >> anyone like to hazard a guess..as I would have to add the repair price onto
          >> the buy price..I was thinking maybe one of you have had to deal with this
          >> problem on a project or whatever..thanks

        • darrell coons
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
            Thanks for the site Todd..maybe your right on the partying..Im not
            sure what the skin was on top..I just wanted to see how deep the AC
            had sunk..pretty good by the looks of it..it does have a covered cargo
            carrier on top but its not near the AC..Im figuring the frame up there
            is same as the walls and just over the years fatigued from ppl and or
            time and are giving way (mybe thats why she wants to sell it)..which
            is a shame as the plastic is still on most of the seats..they bought
            it second hand and then her husband died..I think she said they used
            it 3 times..I know little about MH's but I thought there could be a
            way to brace it from the interior so I could buy it, fix it
            (temporary) until I could locate a person capable of doing the
            repairs..I might have even give it a shot myself but it wont fit in my
            shop..thanks again!

            On 10/31/11, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
            > Here is a link to their parts manuals etc, I don't know what they'll tell
            > you re roof construction.
            >
            > http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
            >
            > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Darrell,
            >>
            >> I'm not familiar with the roof construction on that year on winnebago, I
            >> installed an AC on a 1978 brave for my folks years ago and I remember the
            >> roof was an aluminum skin with Styrofoam insulation. I did not get a look
            >> at the rafters, but I assumed they were wood.
            >>
            >> If the roof is sagging inside and out then I would assume that the rafters
            >> on either side of the Ac are broken.
            >>
            >> Did you notice what the roof skin was? Replacing or sistering to the old
            >> rafters is a big job whether you tackle it from the inside or the
            >> exterior.
            >>
            >> If the roof skin is in questionable shape, then replacing it with a rubber
            >> roof would be an Ideal, but still not inexpensive option.
            >>
            >> Usually the rafters wont break without some water damage to start the wall
            >> rolling, but it can happen it the roof has been overloaded with snow, or
            >> even partiers!
            >>
            >> For a safe estimate, call an RV dealer for a ball park estimate to install
            >> a rubber roof on a rig that length with a few rafter repairs thrown in.
            >>
            >> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:25 PM, darrell <azurevirus@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> **
            >>>

            >>> Ive been eyeballing a 86 winnebago for awhile now waiting for the owner
            >>> to get more realistic on her price..the thing that worries me most is
            >>> that
            >>> the exterior ac unit seems to be sinking lower into the interior...if
            >>> even
            >>> looks to me like its sinking when Im on the roof and it must puddle alot
            >>> of
            >>> water while sitting..altho no signs of water leakage inside...besides
            >>> this..the motorhome seems to be very nice..with 43k on the clock..this
            >>> would probably have to be an expensive professional repair job..would
            >>> anyone like to hazard a guess..as I would have to add the repair price
            >>> onto
            >>> the buy price..I was thinking maybe one of you have had to deal with this
            >>> problem on a project or whatever..thanks

          • Henry Blair Jr.
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
              Unless this motor home is very cheap, you may want to run from this deal.
              Have someone who knows motor homes to look at it . It is just a matter of
              4 screws to take off the interior AC cover. Water damage on wood based
              motor homes is a real pain to fix. The more you fix, the more you find.

              That's why I only rebuild Travcos, Superiors, or Barths. No structural
              wood in these.

              Henry

              Henry K. Blair, Jr.
              603 South Walton Street
              Bethune, SC 29009-9032
              (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
              henryblairjr@...

            • rthomasmeadows@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
                In my 1986 Winnebago Chieftain, the frame is all steel, the roof is
                curved/arched, and the roof is a metal roof. So I'd think if the a/c is sinking
                in, something is seriously wrong, like a rusted-out structure. You didn't
                specify which model Winnebago you're looking at, but I'm almost certain
                that the Elandan is similarly constructed. There are so many of these things
                in excellent condition on the market at great prices right now, that I
                would imagine she should need to pay you to take it if you account for the cost
                of that repair. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

                What part of the country are you in?

                Tommy
                Durango, CO

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
                  Thanks for the reply Henry..and I agree after watching a friend try to
                  replace water damage in a 16' tt..one bad place lead to another bad
                  place and finally he just trashed it..unfortunately for me..all MH's
                  Ive looked at in my area seem to require such radical repairs and
                  still they ask what to me anyway is a price way above what their
                  current condition warrants..this one was the best of the "lot" I have
                  looked at..and she sits on the price of 5k altho she knows top book is
                  low 3's at best..and myself.. wanting to start cheap with the price of
                  gas and to really see if I enjoy it before moving up the price range
                  and getting a better one.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
                    winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
                    as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
                    two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
                    good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
                    course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
                    what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.

                  • Joyce
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Patience is the key to the right MH at the right price. Might take a year but it can be done. The economy is still declining, therefore the MH price is still declining. Joyce

                      Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 31, 2011
                        I did get a call on a Chieftain years ago that had a roof leak, the
                        customer had told me on the phone he thought it was around the TV antenna.
                        I got on the roof and found the entire aluminum skin was punky, many tiny
                        holes all over it.

                        He had bought it used in southern Florida and someone later told him it was
                        the salt air that caused it.

                        Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I wondered if maybe a cleaning solvent
                        might have done this.

                        Todd.

                      • wayne
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
                          I have a 1985 Chieftain , and I live in Florida .Close to the coast . I dont have this problem . YET ! I havent heard this before , but I dont know everything .

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                          > I did get a call on a Chieftain years ago that had a roof leak, the
                          > customer had told me on the phone he thought it was around the TV antenna.
                          > I got on the roof and found the entire aluminum skin was punky, many tiny
                          > holes all over it.
                          >
                          > He had bought it used in southern Florida and someone later told him it was
                          > the salt air that caused it.
                          >
                          > Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I wondered if maybe a cleaning solvent
                          > might have done this.
                          >
                          > Todd.

                        • Todd Barnard
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
                            I had a little trouble believing it myself.

                            For a long time it was thought that the "black streaks" found on RVs came
                            from the aluminum roofing, so they painted them.

                            When the marks continued, it was thought to be leaching out of the putty
                            and sealants used on RVs.

                            Our local Fleetwood plant told us they removed a chunk of siding from a
                            new, but streaked trailer in their yard and had it analyzed and it turned
                            out to be air pollution.

                            In other words, there was nothing they could do to stop it. This meant a
                            ton of cleaners were sold to wash the streaks away, and lots of folks came
                            up with their own recipes.

                            I heard many say they used bleach and Comet...that could surely affect a
                            roof over time.

                            On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM, wayne <vulcanman1500@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > I have a 1985 Chieftain , and I live in Florida .Close to the coast . I
                            > dont have this problem . YET ! I havent heard this before , but I dont know
                            > everything .
                            >

                            > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I did get a call on a Chieftain years ago that had a roof leak, the
                            > > customer had told me on the phone he thought it was around the TV
                            > antenna.
                            > > I got on the roof and found the entire aluminum skin was punky, many tiny
                            > > holes all over it.
                            > >
                            > > He had bought it used in southern Florida and someone later told him it
                            > was
                            > > the salt air that caused it.
                            > >
                            > > Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I wondered if maybe a cleaning solvent
                            > > might have done this.
                            > >
                            > > Todd.

                          • wpmartin55
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
                              > winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
                              > as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
                              > two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
                              > good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
                              > course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
                              > what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.

                              I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing it didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you looked, I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try to install one.
                              Cindy
                            • Henry Blair Jr.
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                                Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                                14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                                built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                                would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                                over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side of
                                the AC.

                                On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
                                > > winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
                                > > as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
                                > > two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
                                > > good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
                                > > course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
                                > > what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.
                                >
                                > I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing it
                                > didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you looked,
                                > I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try to
                                > install one.
                                > Cindy

                              • Todd Barnard
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                                  Henry, I'm guessing you are right, with this being a Winnebago. Like I
                                  mentioned. my folks '78 Brave was "AC Ready" with a chase for the wiring
                                  leading to a vent.

                                  However, we did have to request this from Fleetwood in the 1970s and early
                                  '80s in order to get 14/2 run to a vent and extra blocking around it.

                                  It became a "forced option" around 1987, when the Prowler Lynx and Terry
                                  Resort showed up. Thats how it working in Canada anyway, where people
                                  worried more about the furnace!

                                  Back in those days AC and an 18' awning each cost about $1100, so our
                                  people leaned towards the awning. Eventually we were selling 13000 BTU ACs
                                  for $599 while awnings never dropped much in price.

                                  On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Henry Blair Jr. <henryblairjr@...>wrote:

                                  > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                                  > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                                  > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                                  > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                                  > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side of
                                  > the AC.
                                  >
                                  > Henry
                                  >
                                  > Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                                  > 603 South Walton Street
                                  > Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                                  > (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
                                  > henryblairjr@...
                                  >

                                  > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks Henry..I just figured it was all wood like my friends TT..the
                                  > > > winni is a 27' cheftain 1986 (she said) .. chevy chassis I would think
                                  > > > as it has the 454 engine ..if its metal arches maybe its just one or
                                  > > > two bad ones?..I am semi retired and I was a welder..actually a pretty
                                  > > > good welder in as maybe I could fabricate what it needs..of
                                  > > > course..only way to know would be to buy it and take it apart and see
                                  > > > what all it would need..scary to gamble with so much money tho.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing
                                  > it
                                  > > didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you
                                  > looked,
                                  > > I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try to
                                  > > install one.
                                  > > Cindy

                                • Henry Blair Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                                    Of course where I live, the furnace is not as significant. I just had an
                                    enclosed trailer made and did have to specify that I wanted an additional
                                    vent put in the roof for a later AC installation. It did have a special
                                    brace behind the vent.

                                    I seen a few sunken AC's and all were a problem with ceiling leaks and wood
                                    rot. I have never seen an AC with a steel framed vent that sank. In any
                                    case, it is only a few screws to investigate.

                                    On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Henry, I'm guessing you are right, with this being a Winnebago. Like I
                                    > mentioned. my folks '78 Brave was "AC Ready" with a chase for the wiring
                                    > leading to a vent.
                                    >
                                    > However, we did have to request this from Fleetwood in the 1970s and early
                                    > '80s in order to get 14/2 run to a vent and extra blocking around it.
                                    >
                                    > It became a "forced option" around 1987, when the Prowler Lynx and Terry
                                    > Resort showed up. Thats how it working in Canada anyway, where people
                                    > worried more about the furnace!
                                    >
                                    > Back in those days AC and an 18' awning each cost about $1100, so our
                                    > people leaned towards the awning. Eventually we were selling 13000 BTU ACs
                                    > for $599 while awnings never dropped much in price.
                                    >
                                    > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Henry Blair Jr. <henryblairjr@...
                                    > >wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                                    > > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                                    > > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                                    > > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                                    > > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side
                                    > of
                                    > > the AC.
                                    > >
                                    > > Henry
                                    > >
                                    > > Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                                    > > 603 South Walton Street
                                    > > Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                                    > > (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
                                    > > henryblairjr@...
                                    > >

                                    > > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > **
                                    >

                                    > > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, darrell coons <azurevirus@...>

                                    > think
                                    > pretty
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I'm wondering if it's an after market installation and the person doing
                                    > > it
                                    > > > didn't support the AC properly in the roof. You'd only know if you
                                    > > looked,
                                    > > > I guess. I think people don't realize how heavy an AC is when they try
                                    > > > install one.
                                    > > > Cindy

                                  • wpmartin55
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 3, 2011
                                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Blair Jr." <henryblairjr@...> wrote:

                                      > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                                      > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                                      > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                                      > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                                      > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side of
                                      > the AC.

                                      Wow, every AC I've looked at weighs in the vacinity of 95 lbs. You must be strong from all those years of carrying them around. :)
                                      My point is that there may NOT have been a mounting bracket and it may NOT have been put in a 14 X 14 vent hole, but some brain child just put an AC in by cutting a hole and running a wire. I've seen it done by some trailer owners. They end up with roof sag because there is no support, or they only put a small 1X1 or 1X2 as a piece to mount the AC to. I've always advocated that if they have the trailer gutted then they should run the same kind of supports you would on a vertical wall when installing a window with headers, etc. Maybe that's overkill, but in a wood frame it's more necessary. If this RV has metal framing, then it might not be such a big deal. At any rate. I hope the cause can be found an remedied, or just walk away.

                                      I recently purchased a trailer that will need extensive roof work - it's all lumpy and bumpy. Not sure what's caused it and we can't look at it until spring. I'm afraid of what I might find.
                                      Cindy
                                    • Henry Blair Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 3, 2011
                                        These AC's were very old Colemans, and I do not think they were that
                                        heavy.I was about 60 at the time. They were both bad, so I picked them up,
                                        took them to the back of the RV, and threw them to the ground, one at a
                                        time. Now, about 10 years later, I think one may be the limit. I would
                                        hope no one is stupid enough to just cut a hole and drop one in, but I am
                                        amazed by these types of things every day. The worst, a dash in an old
                                        motor home rewired with 8 wire phone cable.

                                        On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Blair Jr." <henryblairjr@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Probably not. All of the vents in motor homes that I have seen are 14" x
                                        > > 14" and have no problem holding the relatively light roof AC's if in "as
                                        > > built" condition. With the cover off, I can carry one AC in each hand. I
                                        > > would guess they weigh about 50 - 60 lbs. a piece. The weight is spread
                                        > > over the mounting bracket and a foam pad that goes under the other side
                                        > of
                                        > > the AC.
                                        > >
                                        > Wow, every AC I've looked at weighs in the vacinity of 95 lbs. You must be
                                        > strong from all those years of carrying them around. :)
                                        > My point is that there may NOT have been a mounting bracket and it may NOT
                                        > have been put in a 14 X 14 vent hole, but some brain child just put an AC
                                        > in by cutting a hole and running a wire. I've seen it done by some trailer
                                        > owners. They end up with roof sag because there is no support, or they only
                                        > put a small 1X1 or 1X2 as a piece to mount the AC to. I've always advocated
                                        > that if they have the trailer gutted then they should run the same kind of
                                        > supports you would on a vertical wall when installing a window with
                                        > headers, etc. Maybe that's overkill, but in a wood frame it's more
                                        > necessary. If this RV has metal framing, then it might not be such a big
                                        > deal. At any rate. I hope the cause can be found an remedied, or just walk
                                        > away.
                                        >
                                        > I recently purchased a trailer that will need extensive roof work - it's
                                        > all lumpy and bumpy. Not sure what's caused it and we can't look at it
                                        > until spring. I'm afraid of what I might find.
                                        > Cindy

                                      • Todd Barnard
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 3, 2011
                                          Yep, a few of us at our shop could lock our hand in the outlet of Coleman
                                          and DuoTherm ACs and then hoist them up on our shoulders to carry then up a
                                          ladder and set them on the roof. That was the only way one man could get
                                          one on a roof without damaging the shroud.

                                          The true is there is was easy way for two people to do it on ladders
                                          either!

                                          Did a lot of foolish things like that when I was a young bull, now I'm not
                                          quite 50 with a broken down shoulder, back and knees!