Starcraft Starcruiser 1973 21' - new chassis and total overhaul

  • peterj_iv
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
      I have pictures here in the Photos section - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicrv/photos/album/672135236/pic/list

      I posted some of the early work on this, but the threads are cluttered and old and things are really happening now so Im going to resummarize and repost. I have newer photos that I'll put up in the next few weeks, things are happening quickly now, its about time.

      So I had this RV and we used it in its original condition for years traveling from Jackson MS to New Orleans and to the Florida pan handle mostly. One Christmas morning a water hose broke on the way to New Orleans, the engine overheated and the block cracked. International harvester 497. We limped back on 6 cylinders and put it in storage for a couple of years. The wife says "you should either fix that thing or sell it". Well, here we go.

      So as I went to get a replacement engine, it just dawned on me that the brakes, transmission, ect really were obsolete. So instead, I shopped for a chassis that had had the body destroyed, and bought a 2001 Workhorse Chassis with 5000 miles on it, 8.1 L Chevy vortec and Allison 5 speed transmission, it needed the burned part cut away and the wiring harness replaced. So I bought saws and plasma torches and such and did just that. I shortened the wheelbase as it was from a 42 foot Allegra, and had to modify the drive shaft with a big CV joint made for rock climbing trucks because the drive angle was now extreme. Nothing money cant fix.

      I took all of the glass out, and to make a long story short, I learned how to weld, and got a crane to move just the fiberglass part, and the metal skeleton over to the new chassis. I created the internal floor with heavy metal I beams and build some new stiffinging supports on the inside to act kinda like roll bars, but mostly so that the top wouldnt sway as we haul ass around using the souped up chevy 8.1 liter vortec engine with a Banks performance kit and headers. They also support a 12 foot aluminum drop down bunk that can sleep two and runs the length of the living area on the drivers side. Weight isn't a problem, the original chassis was for a 22,000 lb motorhome and this one should finish out below 14000 even using oversized metal. If you are new at welding it is easier to weld big giant steel with big welds, strong but not pretty. I eventually got it to where I could do it pretty, however.

      So here is a list of the sub projects. Expected completion date is probably next summer. I'm taking her to Burning Man in September 2012 ready or not.

      -Polish all glass and regasket - done
      -Soup up engine with Banks Performance kit - done
      -Replace drive shaft with high performance CV joint -
      http://highangledriveline.com/ - done
      -install fischer panda 8k stainless steel silent water cooled marine generator - done
      -Redo fiberglass, close up every roof hole, all but essential running lights, and all side access except for fuel door. All access will be through the back hatch. Repaint -done
      -install all the 12v and 110v electrical all connected to a central cabinet with marine circuit panel. Xantrex rs3000 inverter and 6 x 6volt golf cart batteries mounted under chassis so I can run one AC with inverter power. -done
      -tear out all of the internal foam insulation and replace with layers of high density sound dampening foam laminated with mass loaded vinyl - done
      -install 2x 14,400 btu Dometic AC units with condensers under vehicle - done
      -install all the layered insulation in subfloor and vibration mounts for each of 4 captains chairs, sofa bed, and modular kitchen. - done
      -cut and form all the plywood for ceiling, walls and floors including cutouts for switches and each plywood piece is held in place by 1/4" rivet nuts inserted into steel frame - done
      -rebuild plumbing system with all tanks monitors, grey and black tanks, macerater pump, and grey to black transfer pump, PEX plumbing. 5k on demand 220 volt hot water heater, needs generator running or hook up to 220 30 amp circuit, but perpetual hot water in shower and for the outdoor shower - done
      -line bathroom with EPDM rubber roofing materia to make it watertight and spray grey bedliner on the floors and walls so that shower water can spill anywhere in the bathroom, the whole room is the shower -done
      -------yet to do as of 10/11------------
      apply laminate to ceiling panels and wainscoat wall panels and trim
      apply ultraleather that matches the captains chairs over foam glued to the walls around windows.
      install carpet
      buy and bolt down the captains chairs
      fabricate the sofa bed from aluminum and have cushions made
      fabricate the 12 foot long drop down bunk that runs the length of the drivers
      side and have cushions made
      finish the area around the doghouse and dash board, insulating and making a futuristic custom fiberglass dashboard with all of the dials and switches installed
      install the AV systems and stereo
      build the modular kitchen, it will be built outside of rv and brought in through door and bolted down to vibration mounts (ice maker, fridge, coffee maker, microwave, sink, small cabinets, thats all)

      So the message is, don't threaten your spouse with "either fix that thing or get
      rid of it"

      :)
    • peterj_iv
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
        And there are two pages of pictures on the link.
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
          VERY impressive! I'm also impressed she let you fix it! :-)

          Wesley