Sealant

  • wpmartin55
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2011
      A new person on here was telling their story about sealants and I suggested a lap sealant. My husband reminded me that a lot of the modern sealing is done with polyurethane. Does anyone have experience with that? Is it paintable?
      Cindy
    • peterj_iv
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2011
        There are tons of options for sealing and sealants. It depends on what you are sealing, where, and why; and what you plan to paint it with. Polyurethane sealants are probably the strongest and most durable in many situations, and some types of paint will stick to them well in areas that don't incur abrasion. It is very important to let sealants fully cure before painting. And if the area is subject to flexing or abrasion, most paints will come off pretty easily. The only sure bet is two part automotive polyurethane paint with flex additive, this is what plastic car bumpers are painted with. Silicone sealant is harder to paint and the paintable silicone caulks arent as good of a sealant.