New to group, just got an 87 Windcruiser

  • David S
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi, I just got an '87 Itasca Windcruiser 37RQ yesterday. I like it, but I'm already thinking I may have gotten someone elses headache. Picked it up about 160 mikles from home, and started home with it. Made it about 40 miles and heard "BANG". Steering got stiff, and brakes got mushy along with temp going up. Looks like I blew all the belts. Fortunatly there was an RV place on that exit off I-95 and it's in their shop now. Hopefully the belts blew because I turned on the air and the compressor seized up, and not something worse. I'm guessing it will cost me about $500 just to get the belts changed so I can get this thing home and start to work on it.

      Things it will need - new headliner, generator repaired, new front shocks, and God knows what else.

      After I limped it to the RV service place, I noticed that the suspension was sagging. Would this be from not enough battery power left to keep the rear tag axle inflated? Just hope I don't have more issues before I can get it home.
    • Joyce
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
        Congratulations on your new toy. There are lots of smart people here that can give you advise. Joyce

        Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone

        David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:

        >Hi, I just got an '87 Itasca Windcruiser 37RQ yesterday. I like it, but I'm already thinking I may have gotten someone elses headache. Picked it up about 160 mikles from home, and started home with it. Made it about 40 miles and heard "BANG". Steering got stiff, and brakes got mushy along with temp going up. Looks like I blew all the belts. Fortunatly there was an RV place on that exit off I-95 and it's in their shop now. Hopefully the belts blew because I turned on the air and the compressor seized up, and not something worse. I'm guessing it will cost me about $500 just to get the belts changed so I can get this thing home and start to work on it.
        >
        >Things it will need - new headliner, generator repaired, new front shocks, and God knows what else.
        >
        >After I limped it to the RV service place, I noticed that the suspension was sagging. Would this be from not enough battery power left to keep the rear tag axle inflated? Just hope I don't have more issues before I can get it home.

      • Todd Barnard
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hi Dave, I hope your problems are not ongoing!

          I'm not a power train or running gear guy, I stick to the RV aspects of
          these things only.

          I friend of mine recently bought an older Winnebago and I found many
          resources online specific to their products.

          I have them saved somewhere, I'm sure, and I'll send them to you directly as
          soon as I can find them.

          I do know they have a site were you can register as a new owner of an older
          rig and get any notices they send out

          Good luck, Todd.

          On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM, David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi, I just got an '87 Itasca Windcruiser 37RQ yesterday. I like it, but I'm
          > already thinking I may have gotten someone elses headache. Picked it up
          > about 160 mikles from home, and started home with it. Made it about 40 miles
          > and heard "BANG". Steering got stiff, and brakes got mushy along with temp
          > going up. Looks like I blew all the belts. Fortunatly there was an RV place
          > on that exit off I-95 and it's in their shop now. Hopefully the belts blew
          > because I turned on the air and the compressor seized up, and not something
          > worse. I'm guessing it will cost me about $500 just to get the belts changed
          > so I can get this thing home and start to work on it.
          >
          > Things it will need - new headliner, generator repaired, new front shocks,
          > and God knows what else.
          >
          > After I limped it to the RV service place, I noticed that the suspension
          > was sagging. Would this be from not enough battery power left to keep the
          > rear tag axle inflated? Just hope I don't have more issues before I can get
          > it home.

        • David S
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 8, 2011
            Finally going to pick it up tomorrow. The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on. I guess it could be worse, but it sure but a dent in the fix up budget!

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 8, 2011
              Wow, you make me feel even more lucky. Ours had the mechanics already gone through, new belts, tires, batteries etc. Our interior was a mess, and had unknown on appliances and systems. Turned out everything worked, so just interior. We put on an hdtv antenna today. We live 60 miles from the nearest rv station. Surprisingly we got 15 channels. We can get the big. Iowa vs Iowa State game while camping this weekend. Joyce

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 11, 2011
                And the story gets worse! Picked up the Windcruiser Friday mornng to bring it home. Got about 35 miles north on I 95 and belts came off again. This time, I only lost the power steering belt (and power brakes). Since I could control the rig, I decided to continue. Got about 25 miles from home and the tranny blew. Limped it into a gas station, and had it towed. Glad I put towing insurance on it! It's now sitting at a place only a couple miles from home, but no idea what the repairs are going to cost.

                When the trans went, it first started slipping, and got progressivly worse. When I opened the engine cover, fluid was off the dip stick. Added about 3 quarts and that brought it up to normal level, but it would not move in reverse. It would go forward, but not backwards.

                So in short, I still have a problem with belts comming off, a transmission that most likely will need a rebuild, the front end is a little loose, so most likely tie rods and or ball joints, I noticced that one of the front air bags doesn't have the valve showing thru the lower control arm, so I would guess new front airbags.

                Hope this is the extent of the problems with the chassis. I don't know how much more I can take!

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 11, 2011
                  I am so sorry for your troubles. It must be so upsetting. Joyce

                  David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:

                  >And the story gets worse! Picked up the Windcruiser Friday mornng to bring it home. Got about 35 miles north on I 95 and belts came off again. This time, I only lost the power steering belt (and power brakes). Since I could control the rig, I decided to continue. Got about 25 miles from home and the tranny blew. Limped it into a gas station, and had it towed. Glad I put towing insurance on it! It's now sitting at a place only a couple miles from home, but no idea what the repairs are going to cost.
                  >
                  >When the trans went, it first started slipping, and got progressivly worse. When I opened the engine cover, fluid was off the dip stick. Added about 3 quarts and that brought it up to normal level, but it would not move in reverse. It would go forward, but not backwards.
                  >
                  >So in short, I still have a problem with belts comming off, a transmission that most likely will need a rebuild, the front end is a little loose, so most likely tie rods and or ball joints, I noticced that one of the front air bags doesn't have the valve showing thru the lower control arm, so I would guess new front airbags.
                  >
                  >Hope this is the extent of the problems with the chassis. I don't know how much more I can take!
                  >
                  >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "David S" <dgapilot@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Finally going to pick it up tomorrow. The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on. I guess it could be worse, but it sure but a dent in the fix up budget!
                  >>
                  >> --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Joyce <firstladygolly@> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > Congratulations on your new toy. There are lots of smart people here that can give you advise. Joyce
                  >> >
                  >> > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone

                • Ted Kroll
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 12, 2011
                    Wow David, U have my condolences. I believe I'd try going back to the person I bought it from. At least it's worth a try.
                    Ted
                    And the story gets worse! Picked up the Windcruiser Friday mornng to bring it home. Got about 35 miles north on I 95 and belts came off again. This time, I only lost the power steering belt (and power brakes). Since I could control the rig, I decided to continue. Got about 25 miles from home and the tranny blew. Limped it into a gas station, and had it towed. Glad I put towing insurance on it! It's now sitting at a place only a couple miles from home, but no idea what the repairs are going to cost.

                    When the trans went, it first started slipping, and got progressivly worse. When I opened the engine cover, fluid was off the dip stick. Added about 3 quarts and that brought it up to normal level, but it would not move in reverse. It would go forward, but not backwards.

                    So in short, I still have a problem with belts comming off, a transmission that most likely will need a rebuild, the front end is a little loose, so most likely tie rods and or ball joints, I noticced that one of the front air bags doesn't have the valve showing thru the lower control arm, so I would guess new front airbags.

                    Hope this is the extent of the problems with the chassis. I don't know how much more I can take!

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "David S" <dgapilot@...> wrote:

                    > Finally going to pick it up tomorrow. The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on. I guess it could be worse, but it sure but a dent in the fix up budget!
                    >
                    > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Joyce <firstladygolly@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Congratulations on your new toy. There are lots of smart people here that can give you advise. Joyce
                    > >
                    > > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone
                    > >
                    > > David S <dgapilot@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > >Hi, I just got an '87 Itasca Windcruiser 37RQ yesterday. I like it, but I'm already thinking I may have gotten someone elses headache. Picked it up about 160 mikles from home, and started home with it. Made it about 40 miles and heard "BANG". Steering got stiff, and brakes got mushy along with temp going up. Looks like I blew all the belts. Fortunatly there was an RV place on that exit off I-95 and it's in their shop now. Hopefully the belts blew because I turned on the air and the compressor seized up, and not something worse. I'm guessing it will cost me about $500 just to get the belts changed so I can get this thing home and start to work on it.
                    > > >
                    > > >Things it will need - new headliner, generator repaired, new front shocks, and God knows what else.
                    > > >
                    > > >After I limped it to the RV service place, I noticed that the suspension was sagging. Would this be from not enough battery power left to keep the rear tag axle inflated? Just hope I don't have more issues before I can get it home.

                  • ez zinger
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 12, 2011
                      IMHO, I would never take the word of a seller regardless of repair receipts - etc....  I would invite  the seller to join the test ride for a long road test , drop in some gasoline and hit the hiway at least 2 or more hours just as if I was heading home..  Then you will find out what you really need to know.  Some substantial repairs should be anticipated based upon vehicle age and appearances.
                      My purchase was 1979 vintage but much of the major restoration was already completed, not to say that I do continue the project.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 12, 2011
                        Most of the sellers including me are not available for a 2+ hr play ride of a buyer. They can nitpick the hell out of everything. There must be some trust between the seller and buyer. However, Caveat emptor must also come into play always!
                        Ted

> [...]

                        > > >Things it will need - new headliner, generator repaired, new front shocks, and God knows what else.
                        > > >
                        > > >After I limped it to the RV service place, I noticed that the suspension was sagging. Would this be from not enough battery power left to keep the rear tag axle inflated? Just hope I don't have more issues before I can get it home.

                      • Henry Blair Jr.
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 12, 2011
                          Since I am selling my old Travco now, I think I can add something to this
                          conversation. I had no idea the brakes on my motor home were as bad as they
                          turned out to be. Had I sold it without a good drive myself and subsequent
                          brake failure, I would have never known this and the new owner would have
                          been in real trouble.

                          The engine and transmission can be easily and quickly evaluated by someone
                          with experience or a professional. Brake lines and transmission lines can
                          be easily determined to be rusty or not. Bulging hoses power steering hoses
                          and cooling hoses are an indicator of a near term challenge. Tire condition
                          is fairly easy to determine by looking at the tire mfg date, tread wear, and
                          sidewalls.

                          I would not think it unreasonable for a knowledgeable buyer to want to drive
                          the motor home for a half an hour after an inspection and after putting $20
                          worth of gas in the motor home. If this person is a tire kicker, you can
                          easily tell that on the front end. The first thing they want to know is
                          price, and have little concern for the things that make up value.

                          In my case, the motor home has not changed hands yet. I said that I would
                          provide all the labor to replace the brake parts needed if the buyer would
                          pay for the parts. I will take the brake system apart and check out all
                          components. If this amount is not considered reasonable by the buyer, any
                          money will be refunded and he can withdraw from the deal.

                          I have also told the buyer about a previous major accident and minor flood.
                          He is a finish and cabinetry carpenter, so the the fact that the interior
                          is mostly stripped does not bother him a bit. He is impressed that the
                          motor and generator both cold start within 5 seconds of pushing the switch
                          and that the suspension has new sway bars, front and rear, new shocks, and
                          air bags. The radiator is newly cored, and the windshields are new. All
                          hoses and belts are new, as is the alternator. It also has a new convection
                          microwave. Nothing mechanical, but the brakes, need to be repaired. This
                          motor home fits him because the interior and the exterior paint job are
                          things he can do.

                          I am charging him $2,400 plus brake parts. At this point, we are both happy
                          unless the brake parts are too high.

                          Henry

                          Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                          603 South Walton Street
                          Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                          (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
                          henryblairjr@...

                        • BOB ROSS
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 13, 2011
                            " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."

                            Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery to me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to be holding a gun in their hand??

                            Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                            Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?

                            antiqbob

                          • David S
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 13, 2011
                              They had 6.5 to 7 hours of labor in it. The shervice writer only charged for 5 hours plus parts. I used to run an aviation maintenace shop, so I know what the labor is and what the parts mark up are. While I hated to pay the $700, that is what their overhead and labor costs are. I can't complain too much except that the belts came off after about another 35 miles.

                              ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find a solution. Once the trans is fixed, then I still need to resolve ths issue. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                              > " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."
                              >
                              > Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery to me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to be holding a gun in their hand??
                              >
                              > Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                              > Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?
                              >
                              > antiqbob

                            • Henry Blair Jr.
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 13, 2011
                                The 88 454-equipped Sportscoach I had was almost trouble free. I have an
                                idea. Is your transmission cooling hose leaking under pressure and getting
                                transmission fluid on your belts? You are certainly loosing
                                transmission fluid somewhere. Never lost a belt.

                                On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM, David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > They had 6.5 to 7 hours of labor in it. The shervice writer only charged
                                > for 5 hours plus parts. I used to run an aviation maintenace shop, so I know
                                > what the labor is and what the parts mark up are. While I hated to pay the
                                > $700, that is what their overhead and labor costs are. I can't complain too
                                > much except that the belts came off after about another 35 miles.
                                >
                                > ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find
                                > a solution. Once the trans is fixed, then I still need to resolve ths issue.
                                > Any and all suggestions are welcome.
                                >

                                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."
                                > >
                                > > Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery
                                > to me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to
                                > be holding a gun in their hand??
                                > >
                                > > Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                                > > Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?
                                > >
                                > > antiqbob

                              • BOB ROSS
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 14, 2011
                                  David,
                                  Ok I guess if you are comfortable with being charged with that,,, But I still think it is highway robbery.. And I was a line mechanic, so I too am familiar with being charged (and charging) for hours worked..

                                  In my mind, the 454 engine, One of which I have, should be an easy and inexpensive engine to get belts for--In my mind???

                                  And only charging you with 5 hours to change the belts... Wow.. The hourly rate must be astronomical.

                                  Again, if you are comfortable with it, than I will shut up...
                                  Good luck..
                                  Bob

                                • Jabba Truck
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 14, 2011
                                    Check the pulleys for alignment, cracks, dents, nicks, etc. With the engine running, watch the movement of the pulleys for irregularities.

                                    Next time a belt goes, check the related accessories for wear.

                                    Worst case, you could swap everything over to serpentine belts with parts from Summit or a junkyard.

                                    David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:

                                    >They had 6.5 to 7 hours of labor in it. The shervice writer only charged for 5 hours plus parts. I used to run an aviation maintenace shop, so I know what the labor is and what the parts mark up are. While I hated to pay the $700, that is what their overhead and labor costs are. I can't complain too much except that the belts came off after about another 35 miles.
                                    >
                                    >ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find a solution. Once the trans is fixed, then I still need to resolve ths issue. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
                                    >

                                    >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."
                                    >>
                                    >> Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery to me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to be holding a gun in their hand??
                                    >>
                                    >> Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                                    >> Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?
                                    >>
                                    >> antiqbob

                                  • Joyce
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 14, 2011
                                      So glad to hear your 88 sportscoach was so trouble free. That's what our new mh is, it's a dls so it has a 2 little windows on a roof slant. We love it so far. Joyce

                                      "Henry Blair Jr." <henryblairjr@...> wrote:

                                      >The 88 454-equipped Sportscoach I had was almost trouble free. I have an
                                      >idea. Is your transmission cooling hose leaking under pressure and getting
                                      >transmission fluid on your belts? You are certainly loosing
                                      >transmission fluid somewhere. Never lost a belt.
                                      >
                                      >Henry
                                      >
                                      >Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                                      >603 South Walton Street
                                      >Bethune, SC 29009-9032
                                      >(770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
                                      >henryblairjr@...
                                      >

                                      >On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM, David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> **
                                      >>

                                      >> They had 6.5 to 7 hours of labor in it. The shervice writer only charged
                                      >> for 5 hours plus parts. I used to run an aviation maintenace shop, so I know
                                      >> what the labor is and what the parts mark up are. While I hated to pay the
                                      >> $700, that is what their overhead and labor costs are. I can't complain too
                                      >> much except that the belts came off after about another 35 miles.
                                      >>
                                      >> ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find
                                      >> a solution. Once the trans is fixed, then I still need to resolve ths issue.
                                      >> Any and all suggestions are welcome.
                                      >>

                                      >> --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@...> wrote:
                                      >> >
                                      >> > " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery
                                      >> to me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to
                                      >> be holding a gun in their hand??
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                                      >> > Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?
                                      >> >
                                      >> > antiqbob

                                    • Don Bahrman
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 14, 2011
                                        They should have check all the pulleys and make sure the bearing or bushing
                                        aren't wore out, some bushings and bearing need lubricated, some are permanently
                                        lubricated, they can still wear out. some time a spring tension pulleys will
                                        wear out and cause a belt to fly off, have seen a water pump belt come off fan
                                        blade got rape up in the belt and was bent in the the radiator, so you see the
                                        big picture and repair bill because of a bad tension spring. Just a thought.
                                        Some things that need to be check on.

                                        ________________________________
                                        They had 6.5 to 7 hours of labor in it. The shervice writer only charged for 5
                                        hours plus parts. I used to run an aviation maintenace shop, so I know what the
                                        labor is and what the parts mark up are. While I hated to pay the $700, that is
                                        what their overhead and labor costs are. I can't complain too much except that
                                        the belts came off after about another 35 miles.

                                        ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find a
                                        solution. Once the trans is fixed, then I still need to resolve ths issue. Any
                                        and all suggestions are welcome.

                                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                                        > " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."
                                        >
                                        > Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery to
                                        >me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to be
                                        >holding a gun in their hand??
                                        >

                                        > Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                                        > Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?
                                        >
                                        > antiqbob

                                      • David S
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 14, 2011
                                          Their hourly rate is $125 an hour. Somewhat on the rich side, but they cater to the $200k+ motorhome crowd, not those of us that are regular working types. Unfortunatlly when you are broken down on the road you don't have too much choice. The towing company that picked me up in Frederick has a $200 an hour rate. Glad I had the towing insurance for that! The tow would have set me back over $300 if I had to pay that bill.

                                          David

                                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                                          > David,
                                          > Ok I guess if you are comfortable with being charged with that,,, But I still think it is highway robbery.. And I was a line mechanic, so I too am familiar with being charged (and charging) for hours worked..
                                          >
                                          > In my mind, the 454 engine, One of which I have, should be an easy and inexpensive engine to get belts for--In my mind???
                                          >
                                          > And only charging you with 5 hours to change the belts... Wow.. The hourly rate must be astronomical.
                                          >
                                          > Again, if you are comfortable with it, than I will shut up...
                                          > Good luck..
                                          > Bob

                                        • David S
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 14, 2011
                                            Supposedly the shop down in VA checked all that. They shimmed the AC and the power steering pump. The week before I purchased the RV, the previous owner had a new water pump put it. I'm wondering if the "new" water pump may have a bad bearing, or if both places just don't know how to put belts on. I do know that the guy that did the waterpump put a 17/32 belt on rather than a 15/32 belt. Not sure if that would do it or not, but that was a problem. The other shop that did the belts after I broke down didn't save the part numbers of the belts they used so who knows what they actually put on.

                                            Anyone have a T400 trans rebuilt recently? I'm wondering how much I should expect to be hit for the trans work.

                                            David
                                            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jabba Truck <jabbathetruck@...> wrote:

                                            > Check the pulleys for alignment, cracks, dents, nicks, etc. With the engine running, watch the movement of the pulleys for irregularities.
                                            >
                                            > Next time a belt goes, check the related accessories for wear.
                                            >
                                            > Worst case, you could swap everything over to serpentine belts with parts from Summit or a junkyard.
                                            >
                                            > David S <dgapilot@...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            > >They had 6.5 to 7 hours of labor in it. The shervice writer only charged for 5 hours plus parts. I used to run an aviation maintenace shop, so I know what the labor is and what the parts mark up are. While I hated to pay the $700, that is what their overhead and labor costs are. I can't complain too much except that the belts came off after about another 35 miles.
                                            > >
                                            > >ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find a solution. Once the trans is fixed, then I still need to resolve ths issue. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
                                            > >

                                            > >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BOB ROSS" <antiqbob@> wrote:
                                            > >>
                                            > >> " The RV place where it is is going to charge $700 to put new belts on."
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Have you called the police?? Because this certainly sounds like a robbery to me.. I am sorry, maybe I live in the past, but someone certainly has to be holding a gun in their hand??
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Or maybe I just dont understand.. Is there Gold in the Belts???
                                            > >> Can someone explain the lack of outrage at this?
                                            > >>
                                            > >> antiqbob

                                          • Charles Osborne
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 24, 2011
                                              David,

                                              I have an '87 Itasca Windcruiser. It exhibits the same issue with the belts. A friend who had a similar model warned me when I got it that one should carry spare belts, more than one set. Use the best heavy duty belts you can buy. That era 454 uses belts that are really too narrow to carry the load of a heavy duty alternator charging multiple batteries, Air Conditioner, power steering pump, etc.

                                              There just isn't enough friction area on the pulleys to quite do the job unless everything is kept just so tightness wise. After things heat up and the new belts wear in just a little, say 500 miles, you better tighten them or prepare to lose the belts.

                                              I can't believe it cost $500 to get the belts replaced. I've literally done it at 5am in the parking lot of a gas station and was then on my way after about about an hour.

                                              We learned that even quickly lifting off the gas, when say a stoplight changes at an inoportune time, can kick off the belts as they become lose. I don't know if it relates to different inertias in the rotating mass of the various pumps vs the engine's quick ability to rev up or down.

                                              I've often thought changing to a serpentine belt from later engines would be a useful upgrade. But getting all the apprpriate idler brackets, tensioner pulleys, and pumps would be quite a project.

                                              Charles
                                              Duluth, GA

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 25, 2011
                                                Charles, I changed the serpentine belt system on a hot rod type of car I built and WOW was it expensive as well as difficult. Some of the items, and I think one was the water pump, turned backwards so I had to replace those, lot's of problems. I know now there are kits from the performance venders, probably the better experience.
                                                Ted

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 25, 2011
                                                  After my recent experinaces with the new to me MH, I started looking at the serpentine belt system. All the kits I saw were running in the 1200 to 3000 range. I think if I can get what I have to work, I'll leave it alone. I can change a lot of belts for $1200, just need to put together a tool kit for the MH. I was able to crawl under it the other day, and only the AC belt shredded. The PS belt just jumped off and turned inside out. Since the AC doesn't worrk anyhow, I'm going to leave that one off and see if things stay put. First I need to get the transmssion fixed, and the shop still hasn't given me a quote yet. Anyone have a TH475 laying around that they could sell cheap?

                                                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                                                  > Charles, I changed the serpentine belt system on a hot rod type of car I built and WOW was it expensive as well as difficult. Some of the items, and I think one was the water pump, turned backwards so I had to replace those, lot's of problems. I know now there are kits from the performance venders, probably the better experience.
                                                  > Ted

                                                • Jack Byrd
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 4, 2011

                                                    > > ANyone else have problems with belts on a 454 Chevy? I really need to find a solution.

                                                    When I bought my Argosy MH (454), the PO had had it tuned up with new belts and hoses. It threw a fan belt within 30 miles. I got one at a nearby NAPA, installed it in a parking lot of the strip mall where I was stuck and the belt's still there (five years). I also had a similiar experience on a classic Tbird in about 10 miles. Sometimes professional mechanics either aren't careful and just don't know what they're doing. I never had any more trouble out of the Tbird either.

                                                    Jack Byrd