89 Winnebago Chieftain

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 2011
      Just bought a '89 Winnebago Chieftain 31' at Austin.... :)
      Moving down this coming week & taking delivery...
      Will be full timing on Lake Travis (close to lake's edge)...
      Never have full timed before but looking forward to it...
      She's in great shape, will be changing the oil in engine & generator...
      Thanks,
      Bob
    • firstladygolly
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2011
        Sounds exciting. Full timing on a lake would be a good time, hope you enjoy yourself. Joyce

        Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2011
          We just got a 88 Pathfinder 33'. It has 31,000 miles, 454,new tires, new batteries. We are thrilled. Everthing is in good condition, but someone had fun glueing pieces of maps and pictures of flowers all over the walls and ceiling. So will be scrapping and painting for awhile. We have a 23 foot chevy class c but were getting tired of being cramp. Our friend is taking it to his house for a few days to check out all the mechanicals and genorator for us. We are useless in that area. Joyce

          Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

          Sounds exciting. Full timing on a lake would be a good time, hope you enjoy yourself. Joyce

          Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

          Just bought a '89 Winnebago Chieftain 31' at Austin.... :)
          Moving down this coming week & taking delivery...
          Will be full timing on Lake Travis (close to lake's edge)...
          Never have full timed before but looking forward to it...
          She's in great shape, will be changing the oil in engine & generator...
          Thanks,
          Bob

          Reply to

        • gmmullins4
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
            is it possible you might be able to steam those pasted pictures and stuff off? coachman has a great layout, only thing i didn't like about them is the place they put the tv, limits how big it could be. you will love the jealosy windows during rainy periods. redwing

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, firstladygolly <firstladygolly@...> wrote:

            > We just got a 88 Pathfinder 33'. It has 31,000 miles, 454,new tires, new batteries. We are thrilled. Everthing is in good condition, but someone had fun glueing pieces of maps and pictures of flowers all over the walls and ceiling. So will be scrapping and painting for awhile. We have a 23 foot chevy class c but were getting tired of being cramp. Our friend is taking it to his house for a few days to check out all the mechanicals and genorator for us. We are useless in that area. Joyce
            >
            > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

          • firstladygolly
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
              I don't think they used wallpaper paste, it is not disolving when wet. I think they may have used modpog both under and over. I am thinking about just removing anything loose, priming it, then wallpapering over it. They must have had alot of rain on a trip and got bored, tore up their maps and magazines and stuck it on the walls. The ugly was reflected in the price, I would rather have ugly walls a the worse problem than anything else. Joyce

              Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

              is it possible you might be able to steam those pasted pictures and stuff off? coachman has a great layout, only thing i didn't like about them is the place they put the tv, limits how big it could be. you will love the jealosy windows during rainy periods. redwing

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, firstladygolly <firstladygolly@...> wrote:

              > We just got a 88 Pathfinder 33'. It has 31,000 miles, 454,new tires, new batteries. We are thrilled. Everthing is in good condition, but someone had fun glueing pieces of maps and pictures of flowers all over the walls and ceiling. So will be scrapping and painting for awhile. We have a 23 foot chevy class c but were getting tired of being cramp. Our friend is taking it to his house for a few days to check out all the mechanicals and genorator for us. We are useless in that area. Joyce
              >
              > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

            • Shirley Light
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                Heat gun on low? That is what I used on the floor to get get carpet glue off
                the gun and a scraper.
                Shirley

                On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM, firstladygolly <firstladygolly@...>wrote:

                > I don't think they used wallpaper paste, it is not disolving when wet. I
                > think they may have used modpog both under and over. I am thinking about
                > just removing anything loose, priming it, then wallpapering over it. They
                > must have had alot of rain on a trip and got bored, tore up their maps and
                > magazines and stuck it on the walls. The ugly was reflected in the price, I
                > would rather have ugly walls a the worse problem than anything else. Joyce
                >
                > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

              • gmmullins4
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                  mod podge can be removed with steam thats why i mentioned it. sometimes it won't remove so easily but it will come off, the trick is to get it hot and use a plastic scraper which won't hurt the wood or other surfaces as bad as a steel putty knife. redwing

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, firstladygolly <firstladygolly@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think they used wallpaper paste, it is not disolving when wet. I think they may have used modpog both under and over. I am thinking about just removing anything loose, priming it, then wallpapering over it. They must have had alot of rain on a trip and got bored, tore up their maps and magazines and stuck it on the walls. The ugly was reflected in the price, I would rather have ugly walls a the worse problem than anything else. Joyce
                  >
                  > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                • firstladygolly
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                    Unless anyone thinks it's totally wrong thing to do, I've decided on the prime wall paper. Did I mention the walls are completely covered with the map/flowers, it's not just a few. Joyce

                    Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                    Heat gun on low? That is what I used on the floor to get get carpet glue off
                    the gun and a scraper.
                    Shirley

                    On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM, firstladygolly <firstladygolly@...>wrote:

                    > I don't think they used wallpaper paste, it is not disolving when wet. I
                    > think they may have used modpog both under and over. I am thinking about
                    > just removing anything loose, priming it, then wallpapering over it. They
                    > must have had alot of rain on a trip and got bored, tore up their maps and
                    > magazines and stuck it on the walls. The ugly was reflected in the price, I
                    > would rather have ugly walls a the worse problem than anything else. Joyce
                    >
                    > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                  • Dave S.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                      Joyce,
                      Since I am a rookie to the RV world I would think that the wallpaper
                      would work as long as it is a good strong durable type that can take
                      some abuse. Remember an RV "flexes" a little more than a regular house does.
                      Dave S.

                      On 8/1/2011 8:25 AM, firstladygolly wrote:
                      > Unless anyone thinks it's totally wrong thing to do, I've decided on the prime wall paper. Did I mention the walls are completely covered with the map/flowers, it's not just a few. Joyce
                      >
                      > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                      My Railroad picture pages are at
                      www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
                      Miscellaneous other pictures are at
                      www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

                    • Todd Barnard
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                        I've seen wall paper added to a few units over they years, the biggest
                        problem in our area was the humidity, the mild condensation you get on the
                        walls in the colder seasons would loosen the glue. I don't know what kind
                        of purchase the glue got on the vinyl covered paneling in the first place.

                        Now you have to cover the texture too, so a paper might be the better than
                        paint.

                        It might be worth looking into a grass cloth or linen textile, provided you
                        can glue it to the surface you have now.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                          I was thinking a vinyl type textured wall paper. I might have to repaste a bit yearly but that would be doable. I hope primer will help it stitck. I also need to replace the mauve carpet. I would like to do laminate but I heard it buckles. Has anyone used laminater? Thanks, Joyce

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                            Good point Todd, never thought of a humidity problem.
                            Dave S.

                          • Ted Kroll
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                              Joyce, why don't U just leave it! Call it patina or character. It's part of the allure of the coach. It's the history of it!
                              Ted

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                                Just glue on another layer of goofy stuff as moods strike? Lol. Like I said, at least it's usable. I do want to take out the 20+ year old carpet. Has anyone used laminate in rv? Joyce

                                Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                                Joyce, why don't U just leave it! Call it patina or character. It's part of the allure of the coach. It's the history of it!
                                Ted
                                Since I am a rookie to the RV world I would think that the wallpaper
                                would work as long as it is a good strong durable type that can take
                                some abuse. Remember an RV "flexes" a little more than a regular house does.
                                Dave S.

                                On 8/1/2011 8:25 AM, firstladygolly wrote:
                                > Unless anyone thinks it's totally wrong thing to do, I've decided on the prime wall paper. Did I mention the walls are completely covered with the map/flowers, it's not just a few. Joyce
                                >
                                > Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                              • Todd Barnard
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                                  I suspect laminate could be could a problem...one of our manufacturers had a
                                  fake wood made from vinyl that was glued down in strips. It had a slight
                                  bevel at the edges and looked decent when installed.

                                  Armstrong has a similar product. Here is an article about installing the
                                  material.

                                  http://homeimprovement.superpages.com/flooring/benefits-of-vinyl-plank-flooring.html

                                  On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM, firstladygolly <firstladygolly@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Just glue on another layer of goofy stuff as moods strike? Lol. Like I
                                  > said, at least it's usable. I do want to take out the 20+ year old carpet.
                                  > Has anyone used laminate in rv? Joyce
                                  >
                                  > Sent from my U.S. Cellular� Windows� phone.

                                • Todd Barnard
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                                    Think I'd avoid the "peel and stick" stuff I've seen mentioned and glue it
                                    down.