Any Opinions on the Ford 460 Motor

  • garcam123
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2011
      I'm looking at a unit with over 100K miles on one and I'm wondering if they are long lived or if there are crate motors available like the 350 GMs?
      I just had a guy tell me he bought a brand new 350 crate motor for 1500.00.

      That may be why I like the GMs. I have a Ford pick up and love it, just don't know much about the big Ford motors.

      Thanks
      Gary
    • Dave S.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2011
        Gary,
        IF my aging memory serves me correctly the 460 Ford was a bit of a gas
        guzzler, I would be a bit nervous buying anything with that many miles
        on it unless you have proof that it was meticulously maintained....
        Above statement about mileage is subject to clarification by someone
        with better memory than mine.. <VBG>
        Dave S.

        On 7/9/2011 6:09 AM, garcam123 wrote:
        > I'm looking at a unit with over 100K miles on one and I'm wondering if they are long lived or if there are crate motors available like the 350 GMs?
        > I just had a guy tell me he bought a brand new 350 crate motor for 1500.00.
        >
        > That may be why I like the GMs. I have a Ford pick up and love it, just don't know much about the big Ford motors.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Gary

        My Railroad picture pages are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
        Miscellaneous other pictures are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

      • Billy Mason
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2011
          they were really great motors.. as good as the chevy 454, but like the 454
          they love there gas. they work hard an are a tough motor.. if it only has
          100k on it id not worry to much. but then that depends on how it was used
          to.. as far as crate motors im not sure what the prices are any more, but I
          do know you get what you pay for, some places are not that good to buy
          from.. but to me the gm dealers are over priced on theres.. but on the 460
          your looking at about 6 mpg loaded unloaded, if it’s a older one, not sure
          on the fuel injected ones...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2011
            that guy must have been lucky or it was actually a rebuilt, as 350 crates run about 5 big ones,and are drop in's with nothing but wires connected and radiator connection and fuel connection nothing else not even a alternator as they have everything on them in the box already. 460's run about 9 big ones and 454's run about the same as a 460. 60-100,000 miles is about max for both the 460 and 454 especially in rv's since they move so much weight, in pickups that don't do alot of work they have been known to last longer than that. your looking at a possible rebuild or replacement on the engine. make sure you do a compression check. this doesn't even touch suspension and other things on the rv which may need replacement or alot of work. crate engines sometimes get confused with long and short blocks, way big difference between the three. redwing