Service manual for captain's chair?

  • Ned B
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2011
      My '83 P-30's driver/passenger seats are showing their age, not just the
      cushions but the arm rest mechanism, and even a weld or two of the frame.

      So, I'm looking for info about the mechanics and structure inside
      seats. Anyone know of a factory manual or a guide to fixing them?

      Anyone have a lead on a source for decent salvage seats or replacements.
      The only features I expect the seats to have are the ones the stock
      seats have--2 arms, adaptable or made for swivel & slide base.

      Thanks a bunch for any help.

      Ned Bedinger
      1983 Suncrest 24'
    • gmmullins4
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2011
        well all dealers pretty much outsourced the captain chairs if they did not use the factory seats up front. they run from 300 to over 3000 its just a matter of how fancy you want them, there really isn't a manual for them, you could try a local upolstery shop to get them recovered, you might have to have the welding done somewhere else, and any mechanisms can be purchased seperately. you will find the best buys either at a junk yrad out of a fancy van or other rv, or try ebay where i know there are a few there. redwing

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Ned B <ned.crv@...> wrote:

        > My '83 P-30's driver/passenger seats are showing their age, not just the
        > cushions but the arm rest mechanism, and even a weld or two of the frame.
        >
        > So, I'm looking for info about the mechanics and structure inside
        > seats. Anyone know of a factory manual or a guide to fixing them?
        >
        > Anyone have a lead on a source for decent salvage seats or replacements.
        > The only features I expect the seats to have are the ones the stock
        > seats have--2 arms, adaptable or made for swivel & slide base.
        >
        > Thanks a bunch for any help.
        >
        > Ned Bedinger
        > 1983 Suncrest 24'

      • Ned B
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2011
          Thanks, Redwing. I understand what you're saying--the fact that neither
          the chassis or coach builder included captain chair service in their
          manuals would be explained by their being a dealer item, as you said.

          Googling "captain chair arm" turns up some eHow articles on removing the
          arm of various newer SUV models, and even a Flexsteel arm, but classic
          RV chair arms aren't represented anywhere as far as I can tell. I
          finally peeled back the upholstery and foam at the back of the arm on
          mine and discovered the large philips head bolt that holds the arm on,
          and the bolt can work loose enough to let the arm flop around.
          Tightening the bolt on each arm produced the desired result--the arms
          now stop at the horizontal position where they become useful arm rests.

          --Ned

          On 07/04/2011 02:17 PM, gmmullins4 wrote:
          > well all dealers pretty much outsourced the captain chairs if they
          > did not use the factory seats up front. they run from 300 to over
          > 3000 its just a matter of how fancy you want them, there really isn't
          > a manual for them, you could try a local upolstery shop to get them
          > recovered, you might have to have the welding done somewhere else,
          > and any mechanisms can be purchased seperately. you will find the
          > best buys either at a junk yrad out of a fancy van or other rv, or
          > try ebay where i know there are a few there. redwing
          >

          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Ned B <ned.crv@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> My '83 P-30's driver/passenger seats are showing their age, not
          >> just the cushions but the arm rest mechanism, and even a weld or
          >> two of the frame.
          >>
          >> So, I'm looking for info about the mechanics and structure inside
          >> seats. Anyone know of a factory manual or a guide to fixing them?
          >>
          >> Anyone have a lead on a source for decent salvage seats or
          >> replacements. The only features I expect the seats to have are the
          >> ones the stock seats have--2 arms, adaptable or made for swivel &
          >> slide base.
          >>
          >> Thanks a bunch for any help.
          >>
          >> Ned Bedinger 1983 Suncrest 24'

          mity means