Re: How would I paint graphics or designs on my MH?

  • folkartannie
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
      Hey thanks Todd! Where would I buy something like that?
      Does it have to be sprayed on? I need to use a sponge or brush to get
      the design I want.
      or have to learn air brush art and that isnt gonna happen for a while
      lol
      Cheryl

      http://www.ladylucite.com/ <http://www.ladylucite.com/>

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

      > Hey Annie, you might try something like One Shot sign paint. It has
      lead in
      > it, or use to anyway.
      >
      > Its durable and will stick to most well cleaned surfaces, a little
      pricey,
      > but made to last.

    • Todd Barnard
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
        I used to get it at a hardware store, it is brushed on.

        Here is the website:

        http://www.1shot.com/home.html

        Click on the distributors link, they have listings by state.

        On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM, folkartannie <folkartannie@...> wrote:

        > Hey thanks Todd! Where would I buy something like that?
        > Does it have to be sprayed on? I need to use a sponge or brush to get
        > the design I want.
        > or have to learn air brush art and that isnt gonna happen for a while
        >
        > lol
        > Cheryl
        >
        > http://www.ladylucite.com/ <http://www.ladylucite.com/>
        >
        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Annie, you might try something like One Shot sign paint. It has
        > lead in
        > > it, or use to anyway.
        > >
        > > Its durable and will stick to most well cleaned surfaces, a little
        > pricey,
        > > but made to last.

      • Todd Barnard
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
          Looks like you can get it on Amazon too.

          On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

          > I used to get it at a hardware store, it is brushed on.
          >
          > Here is the website:
          >
          > http://www.1shot.com/home.html
          >
          > Click on the distributors link, they have listings by state.
          >

          > On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM, folkartannie <folkartannie@...>wrote:
          >

          >> Hey thanks Todd! Where would I buy something like that?
          >> Does it have to be sprayed on? I need to use a sponge or brush to get
          >> the design I want.
          >> or have to learn air brush art and that isnt gonna happen for a while
          >>
          >> lol
          >> Cheryl
          >>
          >> http://www.ladylucite.com/ <http://www.ladylucite.com/>
          >>
          >> --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Hey Annie, you might try something like One Shot sign paint. It has
          >> lead in
          >> > it, or use to anyway.
          >> >
          >> > Its durable and will stick to most well cleaned surfaces, a little
          >> pricey,
          >> > but made to last.

        • folkartannie
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
            Awesome! Thanks so much! that looks like it might be just the thing!
            I really appreciate it!
            Will save the site and get some later!
            Cheryl

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
              This is just wonderful! I always wondered what they used and I had no idea where to start looking and no one I talked to knew!
              It may not be professional like theirs is but at least it should be very durable!
              thank you thank you!
              Cheryl
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

              > Looks like you can get it on Amazon too.

            • wpmartin55
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2011
                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnard <twbarnard@...> wrote:

                > Hey Annie, you might try something like One Shot sign paint. It has lead in
                > it, or use to anyway.
                >
                > Its durable and will stick to most well cleaned surfaces, a little pricey,
                > but made to last.

                Car and tractor paint work great on aluminum. Latex doesn't hold up as well. Some people have had really good luck with tractor paint, tho' it might need thinned. A sprayer gives the best results, but a roller can also work if you don't need a perfect look. Brushes can leave marks, I think. Good luck.

                If you are going over any bear aluminum, be sure to use a primer (I think someone said an etching primer is best) first or the paint won't stick to it well.
                Cindy
              • Wesley Furr
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
                  Sounds like self-etching primer is designed to stop rust in steel, so
                  probably wouldn't help anything on aluminum -
                  http://carpaint.blogspot.com/2006/07/self-etching-primer.html

                  Here are some comments from aluminum boat owners, one of them mentions
                  something else to use as a primer - http://www.finishing.com/107/12.shtml

                  Wesley

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2011
                    Thanks Cindy!
                    Most of the MH is fiberglas. Not sure if the bottom basement area is. I know someone painted the lower part black and it is coming off of the aluminium trim around the basement doors.
                    Cheryl
                  • kevinkeef
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 9, 2011
                      Most of the responces said,,,if it is clean enough, well thats the rub,,,if you just wash it with soap and water the paint will not stick good enough tp last for years,,, you need to wash it with a very good cleaner like greased lightning, then wash it with vinegar, this will strip all the build up off all the way down to the original sealant, after the vinegar, rinse well then let dry, if you are going to paint the whole vehicle, I would not worry about removing any old paint, just use a good metal priming paint, or oil based KILZ primer, never mix oil based paint with latex, (paint one over the other), and if you want the colors to stay vibrant then use a sealant.

                      Kevin

                      If it is good and clean when you start, I wouldn't think you