Fiberglass Repairs

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2011
      My 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser has an all-fiberglass body and has a few cracks that I would like to repair. Unfortunately, there is sprayed-on insulation and paneling on the inside of the body blocking access to the back side of the fiberglass. Except for some larger cracks in the front top corner, most are more cosmetic than structural. Any ideas on how I might proceed?
    • PennyT
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2011
        If the cracks aren't that bad, can you get a tube of Spot Bondo from Walmart Auto Dept., (or more expensive at auto parts stores), and fill them in? Then you can sand and paint the filled in cracks.

        You will have to judge if that will work for the larger ones, too. Is there is no way that you can peel back the sprayed-on insulation, and glue it back when done, on the inside? If not, there is a spray can spackle stuff to copy it, then paint it. Maybe rivet some thin re-inforcing strips on the outside, and cover them up with carefully tooled Bondo, Happy Trails, Penny, TX. www.pennys-tuppence.blogspot.com

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <TomJones96@...> wrote:
        > My 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser has an all-fiberglass body and has a few cracks that I would like to repair. Unfortunately, there is sprayed-on insulation and paneling on the inside of the body blocking access to the back side of the fiberglass. Except for some larger cracks in the front top corner, most are more cosmetic than structural. Any ideas on how I might proceed? >>>>

      • gmmullins4
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2011
          starcruisers are such fun! for the small cracks just sand (using 60-80 grit paper)down atleast 1/8" and refill with resin fine sand and paint if desired, for larger cracks check behind it for leak damage, if it is damaged you need to remove the old foam and then fix both sides of the leak using some fiberglass cloth on the inside and more resin, and just resin on the outside. replacing the foam is easy: http://tiny.cc/dl7lx just spray and trim while still soft, don't forget your rubber gloves for that job. redwing

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <TomJones96@...> wrote:

          > My 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser has an all-fiberglass body and has a few cracks that I would like to repair. Unfortunately, there is sprayed-on insulation and paneling on the inside of the body blocking access to the back side of the fiberglass. Except for some larger cracks in the front top corner, most are more cosmetic than structural. Any ideas on how I might proceed?

        • Ted Kroll
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2011
            Hey Redwing, I see your the GM guy and seem like a darn good one, Is there a group for the Dodge M400 chassis as there is for the P30?
            Ted

            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2011
              for the dodge drive train maybe but not rv. and a few specific like travco rv's. redwing