Newbie, 91 Bounder 34' Fuel Pump and other Issues. Please Read

  • flametamer123
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2011
      I am a newbie, I was "GIVEN" a 34' Fleetwood Bounder, right now I have less that $1K in it, and most of that is towing. Below is a list of what I need to do to it. I have already replaced the power steering pump, and water pump, both had been replaced prior to parking, but they put the wrong ones on and they had the wrong rotation.

      1. The rubber line that goes between the fuel pump and the module inside the tank failed (probably from sitting so long) and the gas level sender I don't think is working. I need to know how/where to find a replacement module and pump for the tank. Does anyone know where I can look, I tried Advance and Autozone, found what appears to look the same online at Advance, but when I went to the store....well you know? When we first put the water pump and power steering pump on, it started and ran like a sewing machine, had good power steering, and was getting ready to check brakes (Hydroboost that works off the power steering pump) when the engine died, we found that we were not getting gas to the throttle body.

      2. As stated above, need to diagnose brake system after running.

      3. Generator will run, with starter fluid, but the gas guage was showing less than 1/4 tank, so not sure if thats why it wont run on its own, or not, but it has been disconnected at the j-box on the generator compartment, but someone had the aforethought to number the wire for easy hookup. Plus the panel box has been replaced, and the crossover switch was not connected but I think thats an easy fix once I trace out the wires and find out whats what.

      4. The Fridge is not working right now, and the previous owner told me that he was told that it was some type of module in the fridge that tells it when to switch between gas and elec. that has gone bad.

      5. The on-board water heater has been bypassed, and an electric one installed in the hallway closet. Not sure if I have to, but would like to go back to gas if need be, or maybe an instant on demand water heater.

      6. The pump for the hydraulic leveling system has a hole in it and it will not pump, not sure if I even want to tackle replacing the pump, may just buy a set of 4 manual jacks for that.

      7. Line to the front airbags is cracked and broken, easily replaceable, and the back ones will pump up, but leak down after about a day or so, not sure if its a leak in the lines or bags themselves.

      8. Front power steps, used to work fine, but now seem to be slipping when you open the door, so I have turned the switch at the door off, and will work on that later, think it might be the gear box.

      Other than all of that the unit is in really good condition, has the normal mildew on the outside from sitting tires in like new condition, awnings all operate, although a couple have cracking in them but still repel water. I don't know what the final tally will be money wise, I know what I see them selling for on Craigslist, and Ebay, and so far only have a drop in the bucket compared to that. I am an electrician, and have a strong background in electronics, so the wiring issues I think I can handle myself, as well as the fridge, the mfg sent me a diagnostic flow chart to check myself. The real question is how to find the fuel pump assembly, please if you can help me with that I would love to hear what you have to say, and by all means feel free to chime in on anything that may be of help, on any of the other issues. Plus if you live near Albemarle, NC, and want to come by and give me some pointers that would be great too.
    • JerryK
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2011
        Re: Item 8,  Make sure you have it well lubricated where the steps slide.

        JerryK

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2011
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "flametamer123" <flametamer6537@...> wrote:

          > I am a newbie, I was "GIVEN" a 34' Fleetwood Bounder, right now I have less that $1K in it, and most of that is towing. Below is a list of what I need to do to it. I have already replaced the power steering pump, and water pump, both had been replaced prior to parking, but they put the wrong ones on and they had the wrong rotation.
          >
          > 1. The rubber line that goes between the fuel pump and the module inside the tank failed (probably from sitting so long) and the gas level sender I don't think is working. I need to know how/where to find a replacement module and pump for the tank. Does anyone know where I can look, I tried Advance and Autozone, found what appears to look the same online at Advance, but when I went to the store....well you know? When we first put the water pump and power steering pump on, it started and ran like a sewing machine, had good power steering, and was getting ready to check brakes (Hydroboost that works off the power steering pump) when the engine died, we found that we were not getting gas to the throttle body.

          take the pump all in one piece out of the tank, take it down to napa(only ones i would trust for the pump, it comes with a new float gage all in one piece, if the gauge doesn't work after that is installed you have to start checking wires to the front thats a pretty spendy pump. i sure would look at wiring first sounds like the PO had made alot of changes in the rv.

          > 2. As stated above, need to diagnose brake system after running.
          >
          > 3. Generator will run, with starter fluid, but the gas guage was showing less than 1/4 tank, so not sure if thats why it wont run on its own, or not, but it has been disconnected at the j-box on the generator compartment, but someone had the aforethought to number the wire for easy hookup. Plus the panel box has been replaced, and the crossover switch was not connected but I think thats an easy fix once I trace out the wires and find out whats what.

          crossover? do you mean transfer switch between shore and gen power?

          > 4. The Fridge is not working right now, and the previous owner told me that he was told that it was some type of module in the fridge that tells it when to switch between gas and elec. that has gone bad.

          yeah can run from 99-149 bucks IF thats what is wrong with it, get the model number and we all can help ya get an install/troubleshoot manual for it

          > 5. The on-board water heater has been bypassed, and an electric one installed in the hallway closet. Not sure if I have to, but would like to go back to gas if need be, or maybe an instant on demand water heater.

          same thing for the gas heater get a manual for it, 99% are online

          > 6. The pump for the hydraulic leveling system has a hole in it and it will not pump, not sure if I even want to tackle replacing the pump, may just buy a set of 4 manual jacks for that.

          you will find its nicer to have hydralic jacks than to try and reach under and place a manual jack in place to level them or you can do it the old fashioned way and use pieces of wood under the wheels.

          > 7. Line to the front airbags is cracked and broken, easily replaceable, and the back ones will pump up, but leak down after about a day or so, not sure if its a leak in the lines or bags themselves.

          those bags are very important they not only help beef up the suspension but also distribute weight when working properly

          > 8. Front power steps, used to work fine, but now seem to be slipping when you open the door, so I have turned the switch at the door off, and will work on that later, think it might be the gear box.

          yep lube and clean, they use plain old window crank motors usually, switches mess up every once in a while too.

          > Other than all of that the unit is in really good condition, has the normal mildew on the outside from sitting tires in like new condition, awnings all operate, although a couple have cracking in them but still repel water. I don't know what the final tally will be money wise, I know what I see them selling for on Craigslist, and Ebay, and so far only have a drop in the bucket compared to that. I am an electrician, and have a strong background in electronics, so the wiring issues I think I can handle myself, as well as the fridge, the mfg sent me a diagnostic flow chart to check myself. The real question is how to find the fuel pump assembly, please if you can help me with that I would love to hear what you have to say, and by all means feel free to chime in on anything that may be of help, on any of the other issues. Plus if you live near Albemarle, NC, and want to come by and give me some pointers that would be great too.

          i am concerned on why the previous owner had problems with the boards on the appliances, might have been a surge, might have been propane sensor since that model has one. if he had started the genny on that model year without turning off outside power a surge would definetly happen. most of the eletrical problems might be due to previous owner adding wires, i have helped a few friends take out miles of unneeded wires PO have put in to bupass things. all the propane appliances use 12volts to run except the stove, might want to start with the battery and make sure onboard converter is working, its really easy stuff just tedious to fix PO problems. thats actually the first place to start. if in good shape with everything working and no major body damage and a good roof, your talking 9500 as a base from a rvda book. yeah yell their are a lot of good folks here with alot of knowledge buried inside just waiting to get out. i don't venture past the mississippi myself so i won't be showing up, but i sure will do what i can from here. redwing
        • antiqbob
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2011
            I always hate it when someone asks a question that a simple look will answer.. So, here I am with my question that a simple look will answer..EXCEPT I cannot get to a position where I can take a look...

            The transmission on my motorhome has died.. The engine is a 454 and it is the typical Class A motorhome (not a van camper) ... I have a unusually high amount of transmission fluid found on the dipstick AFTER the trans quit.. (telling me that it probably was a pump which destroyed itself)..

            I have been offered a Turbo 475 transmission (brake on the back of the transmission) used for $200... I know at this time that it is very likely NOT going to last a long time, but money being EXTREMELY tight this is a very serious consideration... I know that it is a crap shoot but am very seriously considering it...NOW, MY STUPID QUESTION..

            Where my motorhome is located I am unable to get under to take a look... So, Can anyone tell me???...

            SHOULD THIS MOTORHOME HAVE THE TURBO 475 TRANSMISSION??

            I just realized that maybe I can open the engine compartment and take a look into the transmission area with mirrors?? etc.to see if the brake is on the back of the transmission. Still, anyone have any suggestions?? My Thanks..

            antiqbob
          • JerryK
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2011
              Bob,
              Where you can't go maybe a digital camera with a self-timer will go.  Especially
              if it is mounted on the end of a stick.  Or maybe you can reach under far enough
              to get a picture with your cell phone?  Or a friends phone.
              JerryK

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2011
                From what little I know.
                the primary difference between the Turbo 400 and the Turbo 475 is the
                planetary units have straight cut gears in the Turbo 475 unit. Tranny case
                is a bit beefier in the bell area.
                The straight cut gears reduces the side loads generated in the gear train of
                the tranny under a heavy load like a large motorhome.
                The straight cut gears have a bit louder whine too. And of course the brake.

                I have also heard the T-475 called the 3L80HD and is a 3 speed tranny.

                I have no idea if the T-475 will bolt into place where a T-400 is. if indead
                you have a T-400 under there now.

                But, The T-475 is a stronger transmission than the T-400. The t-475 was not
                typically used in light trucks like my Suburban or a pickup. they were used
                mainly in mid sized trucks and large motorhomes.

                If that T-475 works and fits, I would definitely give it serious
                consideration.

                1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, antiqbob <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                > I always hate it when someone asks a question that a simple look will
                > answer.. So, here I am with my question that a simple look will
                > answer..EXCEPT I cannot get to a position where I can take a look...
                >
                > The transmission on my motorhome has died.. The engine is a 454 and it is
                > the typical Class A motorhome (not a van camper) ... I have a unusually high
                > amount of transmission fluid found on the dipstick AFTER the trans quit..
                > (telling me that it probably was a pump which destroyed itself)..
                >
                > I have been offered a Turbo 475 transmission (brake on the back of the
                > transmission) used for $200... I know at this time that it is very likely
                > NOT going to last a long time, but money being EXTREMELY tight this is a
                > very serious consideration... I know that it is a crap shoot but am very
                > seriously considering it...NOW, MY STUPID QUESTION..
                >
                > Where my motorhome is located I am unable to get under to take a look...
                > So, Can anyone tell me???...
                >
                > SHOULD THIS MOTORHOME HAVE THE TURBO 475 TRANSMISSION??
                >
                > I just realized that maybe I can open the engine compartment and take a
                > look into the transmission area with mirrors?? etc.to see if the brake is
                > on the back of the transmission. Still, anyone have any suggestions?? My
                > Thanks..
                >
                > antiqbob

              • Warren
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2011
                  Found out a little more about the Turbo 475/ 3L80HD
                  Snitched from
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic#Super_Turbine_400_.2F_THM400_.2F_3L80_.2F_3L80HD
                  For 1987, GM changed the nomenclature of their Turbo Hydramatic
                  transmissions � the THM400 was renamed to the '3L80' (three forward speeds,
                  longitudinal positioning, and an arbitrary 'strength' of 80, the second
                  highest such rating assigned). The 3L80HD was introduced in 1987 as the HD
                  unit used in passenger trucks. In 1991, a four-speed overdrive version, the
                  4L80-E <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L80-E_transmission>, replaced the
                  THM400 in Chevrolet/GMC pickups, vans, SUVs, and commercial vehicles. The
                  4L80E (and its successor 4L85E) was the first Hydramatic to incorporate
                  electronic controls � almost all of the THM400/3L80/3L80HD's components are
                  interchangeable.

                  1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                  On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, antiqbob <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                  > I always hate it when someone asks a question that a simple look will
                  > answer.. So, here I am with my question that a simple look will
                  > answer..EXCEPT I cannot get to a position where I can take a look...
                  >
                  > The transmission on my motorhome has died.. The engine is a 454 and it is
                  > the typical Class A motorhome (not a van camper) ... I have a unusually high
                  > amount of transmission fluid found on the dipstick AFTER the trans quit..
                  > (telling me that it probably was a pump which destroyed itself)..
                  >
                  > I have been offered a Turbo 475 transmission (brake on the back of the
                  > transmission) used for $200... I know at this time that it is very likely
                  > NOT going to last a long time, but money being EXTREMELY tight this is a
                  > very serious consideration... I know that it is a crap shoot but am very
                  > seriously considering it...NOW, MY STUPID QUESTION..
                  >
                  > Where my motorhome is located I am unable to get under to take a look...
                  > So, Can anyone tell me???...
                  >
                  > SHOULD THIS MOTORHOME HAVE THE TURBO 475 TRANSMISSION??
                  >
                  > I just realized that maybe I can open the engine compartment and take a
                  > look into the transmission area with mirrors?? etc.to see if the brake is
                  > on the back of the transmission. Still, anyone have any suggestions?? My
                  > Thanks..
                  >
                  > antiqbob

                • flametamer123
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2011
                    The steps go in and our freely, seems like the drive is trying to push them out, but not biting. Seems like a gear issue, maybe even as simple as some type of adjustment. When plugged into shore power or external generator, they worked fine up until a couple weeks ago, I have the switch turned off to keep from burning out the motor, I ca hear ir running, and see the steps trying to operate, but when you pull on the steps, its like they are not attached to anything..

                    Bryan

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2011
                      1. Really struggling with this fuel sending unit, part number I got from Chevy dealership has been disconinued, and no one around here can find a replacement, I've ordered several and they are all too short. I have not tried NAPA, there is not one here locally all have been bought out by Car Quest, will have to find one I guess. Hopefully they can help. I just don't know what to cross it over with, when I run the VIN number online, it comes back to a P30, but all the sending units are not the right size.

                      3. Yes I meant the Transfer Switch, don't know why I called it a crossover.

                      6. Can I buy just the Hydraulic pump for the levelers, or will I need to replace the whole system.

                      Thanks for all the help, I really need it, yes its a work in progress, and I will definately stop way before I sink 9K into it. I'll turn it into a guest house LOL, works great on shore power, furnace, stove, micro, all work well just that darn genset, and the fridge, I know I can do it, once I get it all running, I've budgeted $1500, so far it seems doable.

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "gmmullins4" <gmmullins4@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >

                      > i am concerned on why the previous owner had problems with the boards on the appliances, might have been a surge, might have been propane sensor since that model has one. if he had started the genny on that model year without turning off outside power a surge would definetly happen. most of the eletrical problems might be due to previous owner adding wires, i have helped a few friends take out miles of unneeded wires PO have put in to bupass things. all the propane appliances use 12volts to run except the stove, might want to start with the battery and make sure onboard converter is working, its really easy stuff just tedious to fix PO problems. thats actually the first place to start. if in good shape with everything working and no major body damage and a good roof, your talking 9500 as a base from a rvda book. yeah yell their are a lot of good folks here with alot of knowledge buried inside just waiting to get out. i don't venture past the mississippi myself so i won't be showing up, but i sure will do what i can from here. redwing

                    • Ted Kroll
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4, 2011
                        The front driveshaft will need to be different.
                        Ted
                        the primary difference between the Turbo 400 and the Turbo 475 is the
                        planetary units have straight cut gears in the Turbo 475 unit. Tranny case
                        is a bit beefier in the bell area.
                        The straight cut gears reduces the side loads generated in the gear train of
                        the tranny under a heavy load like a large motorhome.
                        The straight cut gears have a bit louder whine too. And of course the brake.

                        I have also heard the T-475 called the 3L80HD and is a 3 speed tranny.

                        I have no idea if the T-475 will bolt into place where a T-400 is. if indead
                        you have a T-400 under there now.

                        But, The T-475 is a stronger transmission than the T-400. The t-475 was not
                        typically used in light trucks like my Suburban or a pickup. they were used
                        mainly in mid sized trucks and large motorhomes.

                        If that T-475 works and fits, I would definitely give it serious
                        consideration.

                        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                        On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, antiqbob <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                        > I always hate it when someone asks a question that a simple look will
                        > answer.. So, here I am with my question that a simple look will
                        > answer..EXCEPT I cannot get to a position where I can take a look...
                        >
                        > The transmission on my motorhome has died.. The engine is a 454 and it is
                        > the typical Class A motorhome (not a van camper) ... I have a unusually high
                        > amount of transmission fluid found on the dipstick AFTER the trans quit..
                        > (telling me that it probably was a pump which destroyed itself)..
                        >
                        > I have been offered a Turbo 475 transmission (brake on the back of the
                        > transmission) used for $200... I know at this time that it is very likely
                        > NOT going to last a long time, but money being EXTREMELY tight this is a
                        > very serious consideration... I know that it is a crap shoot but am very
                        > seriously considering it...NOW, MY STUPID QUESTION..
                        >
                        > Where my motorhome is located I am unable to get under to take a look...
                        > So, Can anyone tell me???...
                        >
                        > SHOULD THIS MOTORHOME HAVE THE TURBO 475 TRANSMISSION??
                        >
                        > I just realized that maybe I can open the engine compartment and take a
                        > look into the transmission area with mirrors?? etc.to see if the brake is
                        > on the back of the transmission. Still, anyone have any suggestions?? My
                        > Thanks..
                        >
                        > antiqbob

                      • Warren
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 4, 2011
                          I wonder if the front driveshaft from the old turbo 400 will fit the 475?
                          Just a thought. The document I found did say that Almost All parts were
                          interchangeable. Knowing your luck antiqbob, That is the one part that
                          probably isn't interchangeable.

                          1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                          On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Ted Kroll <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                          > The front driveshaft will need to be different.
                          > Ted

                        • gmmullins4
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 4, 2011
                            determine which jack system you have, alot of them are still in business, but check the unit you have might just be a stuck valve or something easy before throwing parts at it. post the part number for the fuel float, i will look up the specs and get back at ya here. and those dummies at regular parts places like autozone and such only have a puter to work with not much knowledge in those wee minds. tell ya now rock auto has it in stock for 92 bucks, SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # FG12S you have to get the one for the p-30 school bus to match the tank, that price does not include the fuel pump. fuel transfer unit is AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 8F1311 at 74 bucks, fuel pump is AIRTEX Part # E3268 at 34 bucks. same goes for the fuel system, instead of throwing parts at it, do a electrical system check to see if its getting what it needs. grounds are the very worst thing to happen to rv's, and the first thing i look at. you might surpise yourself and spend even less than you thought by troubleshooting first. redwing

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 4, 2011
                              hey bob buy it, while you have it out check both tranny's and take the best set of brake shoes for that parking brake. i will say this tho, it might be worth your while to join up with the p-30 yahoo group, we have a bunch of guys there that know p-30's like the back of their hand. of course we mainly talk about the autopark system on newer p-30's we still have alot of folks with older homes using the p-30/32 chassis. redwing

                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "antiqbob" <antiqbob@...> wrote:

                              > I always hate it when someone asks a question that a simple look will answer.. So, here I am with my question that a simple look will answer..EXCEPT I cannot get to a position where I can take a look...
                              >
                              > The transmission on my motorhome has died.. The engine is a 454 and it is the typical Class A motorhome (not a van camper) ... I have a unusually high amount of transmission fluid found on the dipstick AFTER the trans quit.. (telling me that it probably was a pump which destroyed itself)..
                              >
                              > I have been offered a Turbo 475 transmission (brake on the back of the transmission) used for $200... I know at this time that it is very likely NOT going to last a long time, but money being EXTREMELY tight this is a very serious consideration... I know that it is a crap shoot but am very seriously considering it...NOW, MY STUPID QUESTION..
                              >
                              > Where my motorhome is located I am unable to get under to take a look... So, Can anyone tell me???...
                              >
                              > SHOULD THIS MOTORHOME HAVE THE TURBO 475 TRANSMISSION??
                              >
                              > I just realized that maybe I can open the engine compartment and take a look into the transmission area with mirrors?? etc.to see if the brake is on the back of the transmission. Still, anyone have any suggestions?? My Thanks..
                              >
                              > antiqbob

                            • BOB ROSS
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 5, 2011
                                My thanks on the recommendation to the P-30 chassis site..
                                Have just joined.
                                Bob