Coating (painting) the top of a van

  • angieright
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hi, We were given a 1994 Chevy Astro van. It only has 60,000 miles on it and we are having the engine fixed and new tires put on it. The problem is that it has been out in the sun for a long time and the roof looks bad and my husband is afraid that it might rust through if we don't do something. Do any of you have any experience coating the roof of a van. What product did you use? This is a metal roof. Thanks. - angie
    • Jabba Truck
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
        It's probably just typical bad 80's-90's paint.  Manufacturers had to scramble
        back then after the EPA made some of the better stuff impractical to use.

        The nice thing about a van roof is that it's up high enough that paint flaws
        won't be too noticeable.  You could probably get away with using a brush or
        roller.  If you aren't too concerned about the appearance, you might consider
        white paint to help keep the inside cooler.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
          I had a similar problen and painted it with Rustoleum applying it with foam rollers. Not factory perfect but much better than it was. Preping it was the big job.
          Some people recommend thinning the paint down quite a bit and applying several coats.
          Hi, We were given a 1994 Chevy Astro van. It only has 60,000 miles on it and we are having the engine fixed and new tires put on it. The problem is that it has been out in the sun for a long time and the roof looks bad and my husband is afraid that it might rust through if we don't do something. Do any of you have any experience coating the roof of a van. What product did you use? This is a metal roof. Thanks. - angie

        • winchesterman50
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2011
            Here is a Google link that provides you with lots of information related to the Rustoleum Roller method
            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=auto+roller+paint&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=&oq=

            Dave
          • Angie.Wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
              My gosh, we think alike! We were considering painting the roof ourselves just as you have suggested. We can get the Rust-o-leum here and can roll it with a foam roller. The van's color is "mahogany" which means burgundy to me. My husband wanted to paint the roof black which would be too hot but it would look good. I think we need to go with gray or silver. I think we can do it and it will be OK. Looks are not too important but I would like it to look at good as possible. Thanks for your advice. We'll do it! - angie

            • PennyT
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
                My Aerostar van, navy blue, had some bad spots on the roof, so we sanded, taped it up, primed and painted the roof white with Rustoleum rattle cans.
                Keeps the heat out and easier to find in a parking lot.
                Happy Trails, Penny, TX. www.pennys-tuppence.blogspot.com

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "angieright" <angie.wright@...> wrote:
                > Hi, We were given a 1994 Chevy Astro van. the roof looks bad and my husband is afraid that it might rust through if we don't do something. Do any of you have any experience coating the roof of a van. What product did you use? This is a metal roof. Thanks. - angie >>>
              • Angie.Wright
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                  Hmmm, navy blue with a white top. That would be similar to maroon with a white top. I need to think on that awhile. At least it would keep the rust at bay and would keep it cooler inside. Thanks. - angie

                • Ron Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                    My cousin had a similar problem with his van. He
                    painted the top white and claimed it was the best
                    thing he ever did. He said it was much cooler inside as a result.

                    Ron
                    76 Coachmen