RE: [classicrv] Re: Greetings All

  • firstladygolly
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2011
      You ca buy quite a bit of gas with the money you saved buying georgie boy. Joyce

      Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2011
        I forgot to mention in my previous posting that we get 9 mpg in our George
        Boy, but that's because we seldom drive over 45 mph. We're retired, not in
        a hurry, want to see the scenery, so 45 is very nice...better control of a 5
        ton, 26 foot long monster anyway!

        We took out our clean water storage tank because we never used it. We
        almost always stay in parks and if we boondock, we just take jugs of water
        with us.

        Also, we replaced our water heater because of water leaks. The new one cost
        about $300, but I figure since the old one was 24 years old, it was about
        time.

        D. Hammond

        On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:05 AM, gmmullins4 <gmmullins4@...> wrote:

        > i look out my window and see the same motorhome everyday, just yesterday i
        > helped the owner put new house batteries in, what a pain in the back end
        > that was, 454's are pretty reliable, i have one in my eldorado 36ft class a,
        > it has served its purpose for sure. i live in my monaco tho, much more room.
        > the georgie across from me has a water leak on the water heater lines, which
        > are accessed outside, thats another day if it ever warms up past 70 degrees.
        >
        > biggest thing i can tell you is even if you don't have a roof leak, by all
        > means go over the roof with a fine tooth comb, it pays to seal it just in
        > case. a good tune up if it hasn't had one in a while, what ever you get for
        > mileage when its all set up with food and clothing and other goodies is what
        > you will get no matter what you do, when going down the road surely don't
        > carry a tank of water with you, just a waste of fuel to carry it along. a
        > few gallons to flush the potty and wash up is all you need, and then fill up
        > whren you get where your going.
        >
        > georgie's are a pretty solid unit, hope it serves you well.
        > redwing
        >

        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Strick" <james.strick@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings group! I'm James and I just purchased a 1982 Georgie Boy
        > Swinger 31' RV. Only paid $1000 for it, runs and drives great. Was
        > wondering if anyone has one or similar with 454 in it, and what the gas
        > mileage was like in it. I imagine it can't be great. This is my first RV�
        > >
        > > Here are some pics:
        > http://www.strickstuff.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=21854
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > James
        > > Hampton Roads, VA

      • James Strickland
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2011
          Thanks for all the great info everyone. I'm not ready for fulltiming just
          yet, but that is something I would love to be able to do later in life.
          Right now, I have kids at the house still.... have another lifetime until
          they're on their own. I'm retiring from my first career (military) in 3.5
          years, then who knows what the future holds.

          I have lots of work to do. I used the RV last weekend, and there is a leak,
          I'm assuming it's the hot water heater, since I couldn't get it to light.
          My generator stopped working, the A/C unit just stopped too. The A/C worked
          last week when I had the generator running. But, plugged into shore, didn't
          work. If there's no rain tomorrow, I will start troubleshooting the
          generator. I didn't want to light the furnance, so I used a small electric
          heater when the temp dropped at night. I also need to add a table, the
          previous owner took out the table and put in a futon.

          With regards to the walls, I need to replace some panels where there was a
          leak. It's no leaking now. I'm not sure where to start with that. And I
          also want to re-do the shower. Put the plastic walls in for the shower.

          Thanks again for the advice, we're planning a trip next month to Natural
          Bridge Virginia. That's about a 4 hour drive, and I don't plan on going
          over 50 MPH either. Don't think it was designed to go 70.

          -James

          I forgot to mention in my previous posting that we get 9 mpg in our George
          Boy, but that's because we seldom drive over 45 mph. We're retired, not in
          a hurry, want to see the scenery, so 45 is very nice...better control of a 5
          ton, 26 foot long monster anyway!

          We took out our clean water storage tank because we never used it. We
          almost always stay in parks and if we boondock, we just take jugs of water
          with us.

          Also, we replaced our water heater because of water leaks. The new one cost
          about $300, but I figure since the old one was 24 years old, it was about
          time.

          D. Hammond

          On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:05 AM, gmmullins4 <gmmullins4@...> wrote:

          > i look out my window and see the same motorhome everyday, just yesterday i
          > helped the owner put new house batteries in, what a pain in the back end
          > that was, 454's are pretty reliable, i have one in my eldorado 36ft class
          a,
          > it has served its purpose for sure. i live in my monaco tho, much more
          room.
          > the georgie across from me has a water leak on the water heater lines,
          which
          > are accessed outside, thats another day if it ever warms up past 70
          degrees.

          > biggest thing i can tell you is even if you don't have a roof leak, by all
          > means go over the roof with a fine tooth comb, it pays to seal it just in
          > case. a good tune up if it hasn't had one in a while, what ever you get
          for
          > mileage when its all set up with food and clothing and other goodies is
          what
          > you will get no matter what you do, when going down the road surely don't
          > carry a tank of water with you, just a waste of fuel to carry it along. a
          > few gallons to flush the potty and wash up is all you need, and then fill
          up
          > whren you get where your going.
          >
          > georgie's are a pretty solid unit, hope it serves you well.
          > redwing
          >

          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Strick" <james.strick@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings group! I'm James and I just purchased a 1982 Georgie Boy
          > Swinger 31' RV. Only paid $1000 for it, runs and drives great. Was
          > wondering if anyone has one or similar with 454 in it, and what the gas
          > mileage was like in it. I imagine it can't be great. This is my first
          RV.

          > > Here are some pics:
          > http://www.strickstuff.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=21854
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > James
          > > Hampton Roads, VA

        • firstladygolly
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2011
            I can't wait to get ours out. We got a little snow today so not yet, I am a fair weather camper so two more months here in Iowa. Last year I took out the carpet, put in tile, made new curtain and slipcovers and painted. It looks awsome but it rained every weekend last year so we didn't get to use it much. Hopefully we can this year otherwise I'm going to sell it. I said when we got it, if we don't use it we won't keep it. Joyce

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 9, 2011
              actually that should read 454/475. to be correct. they never used a 400 tranny in a rv.

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Blair Jr." <henryblairjr@...> wrote:

              > I had one 454/400 and really liked it. Very poor fuel economy, but great
              > power and reliability. I think you stole the motor home if you only paid
              > $1,000 and it runs and drives great. You can save gas by driving 55 mph and
              > anticipating hills. Banks makes a pricey system of intake and exhaust
              > modifications for your motor home that I had on mine that gave better power
              > and minimally better gas mileage. You should get in the 5 -7 mpg range.
              > Maybe a half mpg more with a free flowing dual exhaust system.
              >
              > In summary, you did not get a gas mizer, but you got a good deal on a motor
              > home.
              >
              > Henry
              >
              > Henry K. Blair, Jr.
              > 603 South Walton Street
              > Bethune, SC 29009-9032
              > (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
              > henryblairjr@...
              >

              > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Strick <james.strick@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Greetings group! I'm James and I just purchased a 1982 Georgie Boy Swinger
              > > 31' RV. Only paid $1000 for it, runs and drives great. Was wondering if
              > > anyone has one or similar with 454 in it, and what the gas mileage was like
              > > in it. I imagine it can't be great. This is my first RV…
              > >
              > > Here are some pics:
              > > http://www.strickstuff.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=21854
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > James
              > > Hampton Roads, VA

            • D. Hammond
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 9, 2011
                I just read your email to my husband and he just chuckled and said, "Welcome
                to my world." Wish you lots of luck. If you need to know where to buy a
                water heater or any other advice, contact me off list.

                D. Hammond
                dhammondtx@...

                On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM, James Strickland <james.strick@...>wrote:

                > Thanks for all the great info everyone. I'm not ready for fulltiming just
                > yet, but that is something I would love to be able to do later in life.
                > Right now, I have kids at the house still.... have another lifetime until
                > they're on their own. I'm retiring from my first career (military) in 3.5
                > years, then who knows what the future holds.
                >
                > I have lots of work to do. I used the RV last weekend, and there is a leak,
                > I'm assuming it's the hot water heater, since I couldn't get it to light.
                > My generator stopped working, the A/C unit just stopped too. The A/C
                > worked
                > last week when I had the generator running. But, plugged into shore,
                > didn't
                > work. If there's no rain tomorrow, I will start troubleshooting the
                > generator. I didn't want to light the furnance, so I used a small electric
                > heater when the temp dropped at night. I also need to add a table, the
                > previous owner took out the table and put in a futon.
                >
                > With regards to the walls, I need to replace some panels where there was a
                > leak. It's no leaking now. I'm not sure where to start with that. And I
                > also want to re-do the shower. Put the plastic walls in for the shower.
                >
                > Thanks again for the advice, we're planning a trip next month to Natural
                > Bridge Virginia. That's about a 4 hour drive, and I don't plan on going
                > over 50 MPH either. Don't think it was designed to go 70.
                >
                > -James

              • Enid Metcalfe
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2011
                  I forgot to mention in my previous posting that we get 9 mpg in our George
                  Boy, but that's because we seldom drive over 45 mph. We're retired, not in
                  a hurry, want to see the scenery, so 45 is very nice...better control of a 5
                  ton, 26 foot long monster anyway!

                  Be careful if your ever in Michigan. I got stopped last fall for going too slow
                  and I was

                  a little under 50mph....ggggggg As it was my first time alone the officer let
                  me off but it could have been a $150 ticket. Next time he said he would have to
                  ticket me.