Re: [classicrv] Re: Greetings Group

  • Warren
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 8, 2011
      From what I have heard from others, those are typical GM 454 in motorhome
      problems but usually can be resolved without to much fuss.

      Getting 9 to 10 mpg on a 454 in a motorhome is doing really good. 5 to 7 is
      the norm.

      My Suburban with a 350 gets 10 city and 11.5 highway, worse when towing my
      trailer.

      1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

      On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM, PennyT <rsvpta@...> wrote:

      > I had a 454 once, and it would act up. I found out that you have to have a
      > metal baffle added to stop the starter from getting hot from the manifold.
      > Here is some more info on them:
      > http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/boards/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23965085/print/true.cfm
      >
      > Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    • D. Hammond
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 8, 2011
        Going up hills...even overpasses, the motor would dog and miss and finally
        stop. If we sat a couple of minutes, it would start again.

        Here's what we tried: added an electronic fuel pump in the gas line,
        wrapped the fuel line in aluminum foil, wrapped the manifold in $50 heat
        shield tape, and even put wooden clothespins all along the fuel line to
        absorb heat. None of these worked. We sincerely hope the rerouted fuel
        line does the job. Someone, I think here on CRV, suggested it might be a
        carburater (can't quite figure out how to spell it!) problem so we also
        installed a better one. We leave tomorrow on our motor break-in trip. I'll
        let you know if it worked, although we're going to try to avoid mountains
        until the motor is broken in.

        Which leads me to a question for the group: We've been told we need to
        drive 1000 miles to "set the rings," etc. after the overhaul. Is that
        correct? ( We already ran the engine at high rpm for 20 minutes to set the
        new cam.)

        I'm telling you.....I know WAY more about motors than I ever wanted to know
        since owning this Georgie Boy! (We call her Georgie Girl.) Cost us $2500
        in 2006 and we've added just under $22,000 in repairs and remodeling (new
        AC, toilet, water heater, refrigerator, bathroom and bedroom walls, etc.)
        since then, but it's our home and it's functional and we love it! Worth
        every penny!

        D. Hammond

        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Aubin <caralecosben@...> wrote:

        > Can you tell me what it was doing? I think we are that problem. Acting
        > like its running out of gas then dying. Strong fumes.
        >

        > On Mar 7, 2011, at 5:13 PM, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:
        >
        > > We have an 86 Georgie Boy Lean Machine with a 454. We've had a lot of
        > > trouble with what we think is vapor lock. My husband just overhauled the
        > > motor, rerouted the fuel line, and installed a better carburater We're
        > > getting ready to take a test trip. I'll let you know how it goes. We were
        > > getting 9 mpg and hope to get at least 10 now with no problems. Wish us
        > > luck.
        > >
        > > Stay in touch and we maybe able to answer other questions about your
        > Georgie
        > > Boy. We've been full-timing for over 4 years, 25,000 miles, and have
        > > learned a LOT!
        > >
        > > D. Hammond
        > >
        > > On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:27 AM, James Strickland <james.strick@...
        > >wrote:
        > >
        > > > Greetings group! I'm James and I just purchased a 1982 Georgie Boy
        > Swinger
        > > > 31' RV. Only paid $1000 for it, runs and drives great. Was wondering if
        > > > anyone has one or similar with 4l in it, and what the gas mileage was
        > like
        > > > it in. I imagine it can't be great. This is my first RV.
        > > >

        > > > Here's some pics:
        > > > http://www.strickstuff.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=21854
        > > >

        > > > Thanks,
        > > > James

      • Ted Kroll
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 8, 2011
          Hi there, If it is still starving for gas with an electric fuel pump then there is most likely a kink in the fuel lines common to both tanks unless it runs ok on the aux tank. The rubber hoses are always suspect because they can delaminate to. They seem to get kinked on top of the tank where it is hard to see and feel.
          Ted
> [...]

          > > getting ready to take a test trip. I'll let you know how it goes. We were
          > > getting 9 mpg and hope to get at least 10 now with no problems. Wish us
          > > luck.
          > >
          > > Stay in touch and we maybe able to answer other questions about your
          > Georgie
          > > Boy. We've been full-timing for over 4 years, 25,000 miles, and have
          > > learned a LOT!
          > >
          > > D. Hammond
          > >
          > > On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:27 AM, James Strickland <james.strick@...
          > >wrote:
          > >
          > > > Greetings group! I'm James and I just purchased a 1982 Georgie Boy
          > Swinger
          > > > 31' RV. Only paid $1000 for it, runs and drives great. Was wondering if
          > > > anyone has one or similar with 4l in it, and what the gas mileage was
          > like
          > > > it in. I imagine it can't be great. This is my first RV.

        • D. Hammond
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 8, 2011
            On an 86 Georgie Boy, there's only one tank. I forgot to mention that
            another thing he did to solve the problem was to replace the metal fuel line
            with a rubber fuel line and put an extra loop at the top to give it a chance
            to cool a little bit more.

            D. Hammond

          • Ted Kroll
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
              Hi, when exactly does it begin to starve for fuel? Check the RPM, temperature, just after a short stop with engine off, or a long drive after it is started? Have U ever tried to drive it with the gas cap loosened to the first notch?
              The more U can see at that time especially before it begins the better off to trouble shoot.
              Ted

              On an 86 Georgie Boy, there's only one tank. I forgot to mention that
              another thing he did to solve the problem was to replace the metal fuel line
              with a rubber fuel line and put an extra loop at the top to give it a chance
              to cool a little bit more.

              D. Hammond

              On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Ted Kroll <tedkroll@...> wrote:

              > Hi there, If it is still starving for gas with an electric fuel pump then
              > there is most likely a kink in the fuel lines common to both tanks unless it
              > runs ok on the aux tank. The rubber hoses are always suspect because they
              > can delaminate to. They seem to get kinked on top of the tank where it is
              > hard to see and feel.
              > Ted

            • gmmullins4
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                ok, now we can get into it. firt of all an electronic pulse pump will not do a very good job of providing fuel for a 454, while some may get away with it, it can not provide enough fuel to feed that monster, while a vane pump will do the job, its not the pressure but the gallons per minute that count. by the time a pulse gets up to the front it has lost most of its pressure and the gallons per minute is barely enough to keep it running at full load up a hill.

                as far as setting the rings, first of all i hope you have a cheap oil in it, not some fancy expensive oil as after 500 miles your broke in, and that old oil needs to say bye bye as well as the filter. keep the heavey loads off the engine while your breaking it in as well, that means stay off those steep hills. also don't try going over 60 miles per hour either. the reason being is the engine will get hotter than normal while it is breaking in as it is tight, and extreme loads up a hill can cause problems and shorten the life of the engine during breakin.

                your second concern is the factory temp gauge, they really suck and most are not as reliable as they should be. some of what you may be experiancing is over heating along with no fuel. very real possibility.

                driving a rv around is totally different than driving a pickup or car, when going up a hill you want to keep the rpms in the power range and in a gear that works the engine correctly to not over load or lug it. this means slow up, but it doesn't just stop there, when you reach the top of a hill, you then have to go down in such a way you don't destroy your brakes. one rule of thumb is the same speed you went up is the same speed you go down, or even slower is better, it will save your brakes and your rig.

                it sounds like you did a good jobn of getting everything the way you want it, just remember it is an everyday thing not just once a year or lifetime. rv's take alot of work to keep them up. starting it once a month wether it goes anywhere or not is good not only for the engine but for the genny as well. cleaning the water tank once a year with a disinfectant will keep you from getting bugs you don't want to drink. cleaning your tanks that hold all of your bad water helps atleast twice a year keeps them from being too stinky, stay away from formydihide(spelling) it kills septic tanks and any rv park will thank you for not using it, green is the way to go. checking that roof once a month or more will keep you from getting an unkown leak from destroying all the ahrd work you did to get it right.

                there is alot more, and surely not enough time to mention all of it, surely you will see living in an rv is not only fun, but can be worthwhile and actually save alot of money. always keep a little bundle of money for those unexpected occurances, and surely make sure you have road service, nothing like having a flat on a road with no edge and a tire guy coming along and doing the hard work while his lights protect you and him. i have been fulltiming since i retired 20 years ago, and we still haven't seen it all, even tho i have over 200,000 miles on my old rig, and almost 90,000 on our new rig. alot of miles and alot of friends made along the way. redwing

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

                > Going up hills...even overpasses, the motor would dog and miss and finally
                > stop. If we sat a couple of minutes, it would start again.
                >
                > Here's what we tried: added an electronic fuel pump in the gas line,
                > wrapped the fuel line in aluminum foil, wrapped the manifold in $50 heat
                > shield tape, and even put wooden clothespins all along the fuel line to
                > absorb heat. None of these worked. We sincerely hope the rerouted fuel
                > line does the job. Someone, I think here on CRV, suggested it might be a
                > carburater (can't quite figure out how to spell it!) problem so we also
                > installed a better one. We leave tomorrow on our motor break-in trip. I'll
                > let you know if it worked, although we're going to try to avoid mountains
                > until the motor is broken in.
                >
                > Which leads me to a question for the group: We've been told we need to
                > drive 1000 miles to "set the rings," etc. after the overhaul. Is that
                > correct? ( We already ran the engine at high rpm for 20 minutes to set the
                > new cam.)
                >
                > I'm telling you.....I know WAY more about motors than I ever wanted to know
                > since owning this Georgie Boy! (We call her Georgie Girl.) Cost us $2500
                > in 2006 and we've added just under $22,000 in repairs and remodeling (new
                > AC, toilet, water heater, refrigerator, bathroom and bedroom walls, etc.)
                > since then, but it's our home and it's functional and we love it! Worth
                > every penny!
                >
                > D. Hammond
                >
                > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Aubin <caralecosben@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Can you tell me what it was doing? I think we are that problem. Acting
                > > like its running out of gas then dying. Strong fumes.
                > >

                > > On Mar 7, 2011, at 5:13 PM, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > We have an 86 Georgie Boy Lean Machine with a 454. We've had a lot of
                > > > trouble with what we think is vapor lock. My husband just overhauled the
                > > > motor, rerouted the fuel line, and installed a better carburater We're
                > > > getting ready to take a test trip. I'll let you know how it goes. We were
                > > > getting 9 mpg and hope to get at least 10 now with no problems. Wish us
                > > > luck.
                > > >
                > > > Stay in touch and we maybe able to answer other questions about your
                > > Georgie
                > > > Boy. We've been full-timing for over 4 years, 25,000 miles, and have
                > > > learned a LOT!
                > > >
                > > > D. Hammond

                > > Swinger
                > > like

              • Ron Mitchell
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                  I had a similar problem in an old GMC Safari
                  van. It would run fine for a while, then start to
                  stutter and lose power. I tried all sorts of
                  stuff and never solved it. It would run better
                  when the tank was full, so I never let it get below 1/2 tank.

                  I finally sold it to a friend (he knew about
                  the problem) and he still has it (275K and
                  counting). After a few months of using it, he had
                  a mechanic diagnose the problem and it turned out
                  to be the metal fuel lines. Apparently they
                  rusted from the inside and were clogging up. He
                  discovered this by cutting open the fuel filter
                  can and finding all kinds of rust inside. The
                  fuel lines and all filters were replaced from
                  tank to engine and the problem went away. That
                  was a new one on me. The van had an electric pump in the tank.

                  Ron
                  76 Coachmen

                  At 09:15 AM 03/09/2011, you wrote:

                  >Hi, when exactly does it begin to starve for
                  >fuel? Check the RPM, temperature, just after a
                  >short stop with engine off, or a long drive
                  >after it is started? Have U ever tried to drive
                  >it with the gas cap loosened to the first notch?
                  >The more U can see at that time especially
                  >before it begins the better off to trouble shoot.
                  >Ted

                • gmmullins4
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                    one of the biggest problems i see with folks with 454's is they put a pulse pump on and it just won't push fuel that far, or at a volume that the 454 requires, while it may work a short distance it sucks for mountains, i have made that mistake 19 years ago, the way i solved the problem is putting a vane pump in the middle of the rv underneath, having a hard line from the tank to the pump, and a hard line from the pump to the engine. when you look at a 454 fuel pump it not only has a line from the fuel tank but also a return line as well, so any excess fuel will go back to the tank, that gives the mechanical pump enough fuel to push it the short distance up to the carb at the right pressure. i like the red holley vane pump, easy to buy, easy to place, and easy to fix if it goes bad.

                    if one has dual tanks like i do on my eldorado, the mechanical is close enough to the front tank to pull up enough fuel on a mountain to do the job, on the back tank it just can't pull that far, unless at a low rpm, usually below 2000rpm at light throttle. thats where the helper pump pulls up the volume to feed the mechanical fuel pump, (one must remember it is not feeding the carb only the mechanical pump which has a bypass on it for excess fuel) look at the image on this page it has three conections, one is fuel in two are fuel out, the threaded fixture is for the carb line, the extra line out is excess fuel back to the tank.{ http://tiny.cc/xzhux } every 454 should have this pump if it is carbed. it takes both pumps to make the rv run correctly on a rear tank on any rv over 21ft long with only one tank.

                    another thing that happens is if when being built the manufacturer added a rubber hose that is not stock and it is colasping(spelling) from suction. this is similar to a disc brake line problem that happens on p-30 chevy chassis's and keeps the brakes engaged. best thing to do is to check to see if they added a 6"-2ft hose from the tank to the hard line, to solve this one only needs to get some hard line from a parts store and shorten that distance down to almost touching on the connections . otherwords almost metal to metal on the fuel line. with only a rubber joint to seal them. this gets rid of the collasping line problem.

                    once one eliminates the suction problem one can use a soft hose from the vane pump to the mechanical as the vane will provide more fuel and pressure than the mechanical can ever use hence it will not collaspe from suction, and as said before any excess fuel will return to the tank.

                    the holley red eletric will provide 47gph at 4psi easily. well within the quads requirement. redwing

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                    > Hi there, If it is still starving for gas with an electric fuel pump then there is most likely a kink in the fuel lines common to both tanks unless it runs ok on the aux tank. The rubber hoses are always suspect because they can delaminate to. They seem to get kinked on top of the tank where it is hard to see and feel.
                    > Ted

                  • gmmullins4
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                      one of the problems with the p-30 chassis is the air block panel missing from the passenger side which directs air past the right side of the engine, this leads to vapor lock on some units and was a recall did on some p-30 chassis, but not all. this extra air helped in not only cooling the right side of the engine but also helped in saving the plug wires from being burned by the exhaiust manifold, and helping in keeping the manifold from over heating and cracking and also provided air for the fuel line and starter to keep them cool.

                      when looking through the passenger tire area at the side of the engine if you can see the plug wires the air flow plate is missing or was never put back into place at the rv factory. most will see that same plate on the drivers side, it was used not only for cooling air on that side but also to protect the brake master cyclynder from damage on the p-30 chevy chassis. redwing

                    • Aubin
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                        Our RV is at this moment doing the very same thing. They are doing two things. Working on the carburator and changing the gas cap which wasn't venting. I know very little about engines. Just hope it works.

                      • Enid Metcalfe
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 11, 2011
                          We have a 1976 Corsair 25' MH with the same engine, 454/turbo 400 tranny.
                          Typically when on the highway we average 12 mpg keeping her around 55 and in
                          cities 9-10mpg. Not to bad considering our 5 year old Ford F150 is getting
                          less. We do have the MH tuned up each spring and keep up the routine
                          maintenance during the season. The enging is

                          a tough one, and from what other owners have said its a keeper. Lots and Lots
                          of

                          parts available even for an engine that is now 35 years old.

                          _._,___

                        • Warren
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 12, 2011
                            The GM 350 and 454 engines and the Turbo 400 trans were the most common
                            used. That is the reason parts are so common and inexpensive.

                            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 13, 2011
                              the gas cap was part of a recall a long time ago for =p-30/32 chassis and i wonder why they are working on the carb unless its been sitting for a very long time. redwing

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 13, 2011
                                the p-30/32 chassis did not have a 400 tranny in them, it is a beefer 475, very little interchanges between the 400 and 475 internally to keep it a truck tranny, especially the planetary unit. any changes you do make will show up in a short life of the tranny even tho you can use any part from the weaker tranny. if it had a 350 engine in it, it is actually a p-20 van chassis. the other p-30/32 chassis is referred to as a p-30 van as far as parts go. in 1999 workhorse took over the chassis and widened it by 13.5" and changed the setup of motor/tranny and other items. redwing

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 13, 2011
                                  It has been sitting a long time. 1988 with 27,000 miles.

                                  http://aubinspics.shutterfly.com/

                                  ,)))))))))))))),,,
                                  / ((((``
                                  \