'78 Winnebago Brave w/ Dodge 440

  • BobP
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this might be my first post.

      Sometime before Sunday, I'll be looking at a Winnebago Brave on a Dodge chassis with the 440 engine. It is 23'long and has 68,000 miles.

      I've looked at more than a few Class C's and I know most of the general stuff to check. Is there anything special that is specific to this year, model, engine, or chassis I need to look over.

      Oh, a reminder or two of other stuff I might forget would not insult me. It is stored indoors so I won't be fighting snow just this blasted Ohio cold.

      Thanks,
      Bob
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
        That was the year they started changing the front look.
        The brave I believe changed in 77 and the Chieftain in 78. They did away
        with the eye brow over the windshield effect and went with a more typical
        type front look. Lost their unique design I believe.

        Also remember, low mileage at that age is just as damaging to an engine as
        high millage.
        During your look over, Run the engine for a while and check for main seal
        leaks.
        Though the 440 is a stout engine. Strong and durable but don't expect good
        fuel economy. Unless you consider 8 mpg good. :)

        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

      • mjwmjf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
          Also while it's running listen for manifold leaks... I had that problem with my 81 440 and it burned up my wires!

          "If there are no dogs in Heaven, when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers"

          That was the year they started changing the front look.
          he brave I believe changed in 77 and the Chieftain in 78. They did away
          ith the eye brow over the windshield effect and went with a more typical
          ype front look. Lost their unique design I believe.
          Also remember, low mileage at that age is just as damaging to an engine as
          igh millage.
          uring your look over, Run the engine for a while and check for main seal
          eaks.
          hough the 440 is a stout engine. Strong and durable but don't expect good
          uel economy. Unless you consider 8 mpg good. :)

          -
          arren
          989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
          estern KY
          On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM, BobP <tvme33@...> wrote:

          Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this might be my first post.

          Sometime before Sunday, I'll be looking at a Winnebago Brave on a Dodge
          chassis with the 440 engine. It is 23'long and has 68,000 miles.

          I've looked at more than a few Class C's and I know most of the general
          stuff to check. Is there anything special that is specific to this year,
          model, engine, or chassis I need to look over.

          Oh, a reminder or two of other stuff I might forget would not insult me. It
          is stored indoors so I won't be fighting snow just this blasted Ohio cold.

          Thanks,
          Bob

        • Henry Blair Jr.
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
            Repairing the brakes can be a very expensive process. This model has front
            discs and rear drums. The rear drums are not available new, and the front
            discs are in limited supply. The brakes are great when working correctly on
            this chassis. 440's are simple, but the exhaust manifolds are problematic.
            Headers are available from Hedman, but are no longer available from Hooker
            or Thorley. I would definitely try to replace the manifolds with headers,
            black ceramic coated, if replacement is needed. Transmission is a 727
            Torqueflite, so it is almost bullet proof if properly maintained.

            Since this is a Winnebago, look out for leaks, present or past. Leaks can
            be an extensive effort to repair. Check the wheels size. 19.5" tires are
            more expensive than 16" tires. 16.5" tires are not as cheap as 16". Be
            sure to check things like heater, windshield wipers, furnace, radiator
            condition, lights, generator. Take a couple, or even three, 1500 watt space
            heaters to plug in and test the output of the generator. Ask the owner to
            turn on the refrigerator about 24 hours before your inspection. Check the
            furnace as well.

            Brakes and leaks are your worst enemies in these motor homes.

            Henry

            Henry K. Blair, Jr.
            603 South Walton Street
            Bethune, SC 29009-9032
            (770) 998-4897, Cell (770) 827-7392
            henryblairjr@...

          • mjwmjf@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
              Another point after reading this post is that you said the RV is stored indoors so you should look REALLY hard for signs of leak.

              Could be why it's being sold indoors so leaks aren't noticeable!

[...]

              03 South Walton Street

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2011
                Thanks all. Good points.

                If I buy this I'll start looking for brake drums and rotors. Old Dodges are all over but if you really NEED a part immediately- that particular part is always gone or halfway across the state. I'm assuming it's just a 1 ton cutaway. I would have preferred a smaller engine but you get what you get buying used. I was kind of hoping for 8-9 mpg though. I'll keep the lower figure in mind for any offers.

                I'd thought about the indoor storage to conceal leaks. It might well leak but the price of the RV wouldn't justify storage costs. I will have to look extra hard. It wasn't listed for sale; I put a "wanted" ad up. It hadn't been listed since at least the middle of October. Most of what I was seeing on Craig's List was absolute junk or telephone scams.

                Sadly this one has a 110/120 volt only refrigerator. The price is good enough that, if I decide to keep it, I can have a 3 way installed and still be about even with units in lousy shape.

                For better or worse, this one had the maintenance done by Camping world/ SirPilla RV.

                Shopping is getting old. I looked at a '84 Toyota Dolphin with a 4cy/ 4 speed. "Eveything" worked at least until I asked him to start the generator. LOL! He said he would fix the generator so I agreed to his price ($5500) AFTER he got it fixed. He hasn't returned emails or phone calls in a week. There were a few other problems. If anyone is going to look at a Dolphin around Zanesville, OH- contact me first.

                Thanks again. If anyone has more thoughts I would appreciate them.

                Bob
              • PennyT
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Look it all over, even the roof, for pinholes in the siding. There were some troubles with the early Winnebago Thermopanel where the glue interacted with the siding, and it caused pinholes to form. A lot of the earlier Winnies self destructed over that.
                  Push on EVERY part of the paneling inside to see if the walls are loose or soft from leaks, and make sure the AC isn't sagging.
                  Look down the sides of it to see if there are any slight bulges on the outside, a sure indication that there is trouble going on inside.
                  Happy Trails, Penny, TX. RVing and fixing them since 1968.

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BobP" <tvme33@...> wrote:
                  Sometime before Sunday, I'll be looking at a Winnebago Brave on a Dodge chassis with the 440 engine. It is 23'long and has 68,000 miles.
                  > Oh, a reminder or two of other stuff I might forget would not insult me. It is stored indoors so I won't be fighting snow just this blasted Ohio cold. Thanks, Bob >>>>

                • gmmullins4
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2011
                    i had a 78 dodge chassis with the 440, only problems i ever had is like one fellow said is the original exhaust manifold cracks, with aftermarket manifolds no problems, and new (not china) rear drums and front rotors can be had for sure including the rear shoes...all aftermarket of course. if you do buy it and run into problems getting parts, i still have plenty of resources listed in my favorites that i used. just remember brembo for brake parts and that solves that end. redwing

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BobP" <tvme33@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks all. Good points.
                    >
                    > If I buy this I'll start looking for brake drums and rotors. Old Dodges are all over but if you really NEED a part immediately- that particular part is always gone or halfway across the state. I'm assuming it's just a 1 ton cutaway. I would have preferred a smaller engine but you get what you get buying used. I was kind of hoping for 8-9 mpg though. I'll keep the lower figure in mind for any offers.
                    >
                    > I'd thought about the indoor storage to conceal leaks. It might well leak but the price of the RV wouldn't justify storage costs. I will have to look extra hard. It wasn't listed for sale; I put a "wanted" ad up. It hadn't been listed since at least the middle of October. Most of what I was seeing on Craig's List was absolute junk or telephone scams.
                    >
                    > Sadly this one has a 110/120 volt only refrigerator. The price is good enough that, if I decide to keep it, I can have a 3 way installed and still be about even with units in lousy shape.
                    >
                    > For better or worse, this one had the maintenance done by Camping world/ SirPilla RV.
                    >
                    > Shopping is getting old. I looked at a '84 Toyota Dolphin with a 4cy/ 4 speed. "Eveything" worked at least until I asked him to start the generator. LOL! He said he would fix the generator so I agreed to his price ($5500) AFTER he got it fixed. He hasn't returned emails or phone calls in a week. There were a few other problems. If anyone is going to look at a Dolphin around Zanesville, OH- contact me first.
                    >
                    > Thanks again. If anyone has more thoughts I would appreciate them.
                    >
                    > Bob

                  • jerrycassem
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 5, 2011
                      I had a 1970/71 Winnebago 20 foot, I bought from 2nd owner in 1998 and used until this last winter when I got a deal on a 1994 Vectra diesel 34 foot, for 11,000.
                      But the old Winnie had nothing wrong with it, I sold for samething I bought it for in 1998. I did a brake job with master cylinder last summer, was able to buy all the parts at AutoZone. I put shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, wheel seals, along with a master cylinder, all parts were in stock. It had the had the 318LA, 727 trans, and 456 rear end, It also had dual exhaust, which really helps, and a Holley 4BBL carb. It never gave me one problem, always started, and I would still have it today, ,but wife want a bigger one with queen bed, since both retired, I thought we could travel now....Diagnosed with throat cancer I was lucky had 37 days radiation and chemo, with radial surgery and no cancer free. Strange thing was I bought 1994 Vectra from a woman whose husband died of cancer while in South Carolina, and she could not drive it, so I got a deal.
                      As far as the Winnie D20 I loved it and would go anywhere in it, one thing to watch is tires and wheel, split rims wheels nobody wants to repair and wheels are hard to come by, but if it drives and runs good most likely it's a good machine look at maintenance records and manuals, mine was original when I bought it, it was just taken care of. I sold it in less than a week after posting it forsale...
                      Good Luck on your next purchase!

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BobP" <tvme33@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this might be my first post.
                      >
                      > Sometime before Sunday, I'll be looking at a Winnebago Brave on a Dodge chassis with the 440 engine. It is 23'long and has 68,000 miles.
                      >
                      > I've looked at more than a few Class C's and I know most of the general stuff to check. Is there anything special that is specific to this year, model, engine, or chassis I need to look over.
                      >
                      > Oh, a reminder or two of other stuff I might forget would not insult me. It is stored indoors so I won't be fighting snow just this blasted Ohio cold.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Bob

                    • BobP
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 5, 2011
                        Thanks again.
                        The pinhole deal is new to me. I will be sure to check carefully.

                        Jerry, I really hope the split rims are gone. I had a Internatinal Metro (step van) with splits about 20 years ago. Sears tracked me down about 15 years ago with a letter saying they will no longer change split rims! If they are split rims, that could be something that might kill the deal. I'll have to check with local truck service places. Again, thanks for the reminder. I'll start asking folks if the RV's have split rims.

                        Congratulations on your recovery. You are in my prayers.

                        Rant follows:

                        I'm wondering what folks advertising on Craigs List are thinking. There is no way I'm going to call some number (you ALWAYS get a machine) unless I have some reason to think the seller is real. MANY are not. I want to exchange a couple of emails to get a feel for what is being sold and the seller.

                        They say they get a lot of spam and won't read emails. My recent experience is maybe 2 per week. A lot of idiots email, but not much spam. I'd MUCH rather give some looney-tune an email address I can change in 2 minutes than my cell phone number which can be a real pain to change. It is baffling that someone selling a $3K, $5K, or even $10,000 item won't sort through a few emails for those that are legitimate.

                        Rant sort of over.

                        I still haven't heard back from the seller. I'll call this afternoon. I hope he is legitimate. Sometimes its just harder than hel... heck to give away money!

                        Bob

                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "jerrycassem" <jerrycassem@...> wrote:

                        > I had a 1970/71 Winnebago 20 foot, I bought from 2nd owner in 1998 and used until this last winter when I got a deal on a 1994 Vectra diesel 34 foot, for 11,000.
                        > But the old Winnie had nothing wrong with it, I sold for samething I bought it for in 1998. I did a brake job with master cylinder last summer, was able to buy all the parts at AutoZone. I put shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, wheel seals, along with a master cylinder, all parts were in stock. It had the had the 318LA, 727 trans, and 456 rear end, It also had dual exhaust, which really helps, and a Holley 4BBL carb. It never gave me one problem, always started, and I would still have it today, ,but wife want a bigger one with queen bed, since both retired, I thought we could travel now....Diagnosed with throat cancer I was lucky had 37 days radiation and chemo, with radial surgery and no cancer free. Strange thing was I bought 1994 Vectra from a woman whose husband died of cancer while in South Carolina, and she could not drive it, so I got a deal.
                        > As far as the Winnie D20 I loved it and would go anywhere in it, one thing to watch is tires and wheel, split rims wheels nobody wants to repair and wheels are hard to come by, but if it drives and runs good most likely it's a good machine look at maintenance records and manuals, mine was original when I bought it, it was just taken care of. I sold it in less than a week after posting it forsale...
                        > Good Luck on your next purchase!

                      • JerryK
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 5, 2011
                          Make sure you know the difference between Split-rim and Split-ring.  Most of the
                          70's RVs had split-ring.  Most car tire chains won't work on split rings but
                          most truck tire garages will, they don't think anything of it.
                          JerryK

                          ________________________________
> [...]

                          >helps, and a Holley 4BBL carb. It never gave me one problem, always started, and
                          >I would still have it today, ,but wife want a bigger one with queen bed, since
                          >both retired, I thought we could travel now....Diagnosed with throat cancer I
                          >was lucky had 37 days radiation and chemo, with radial surgery and no cancer
                          >free. Strange thing was I bought 1994 Vectra from a woman whose husband died of
                          >cancer while in South Carolina, and she could not drive it, so I got a deal.
                          > As far as the Winnie D20 I loved it and would go anywhere in it, one thing to
                          >watch is tires and wheel, split rims wheels nobody wants to repair and wheels
                          >are hard to come by, but if it drives and runs good most likely it's a good
                          >machine look at maintenance records and manuals, mine was original when I bought
                          >it, it was just taken care of. I sold it in less than a week after posting it

                        • Billy Mason
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 5, 2011
                            the local truck tire shop will work on split rims, but they only have one
                            guy who is licensed or qualified to do it.. but the motor home i had at the
                            time was 1100.00 to put new rims an tires on it, but they were a truck size
                            rim not a rv rim...this wasa bout 5 yrs ago, ended up trading it off for a
                            car..
                            billy

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 6, 2011
                              I seem to have a reply lost in the Yahoo laundry.

                              The gist of it is, ignoring go-cart wheels, there doesn't appear to be a "split rim", "split ring" difference. The sites my search pulled up seem to say the "split rim" is the entire unit the "split ring" is the part of the rim that flies off and decapitates people.

                              Anyway, I'm not bothering to look at units with other than "normal" rims. Why waste everybody's time? If the local truck tire shop convinces me I can get these things changed easily and pretty much anywhere, then maybe. The rims were one of the reasons I scrapped that old International years ago.

                              The guy with the '78 Winnebago hasn't called me back so it looks like I have time.

                              Thanks
                              Bob

                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                              > Make sure you know the difference between Split-rim and Split-ring.  Most of the
                              > 70's RVs had split-ring.  Most car tire chains won't work on split rings but
                              > most truck tire garages will, they don't think anything of it.
                              > JerryK
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Gary Brackney
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 6, 2011
                                Years ago I bought an Old School bus in Colorado and converted it to a
                                Motor Home. It had split rims on it that posed no problem in Colorado.
                                We used it to move back to California, when we got there I went to have
                                a tire serviced that had failed on the trip and was told that split rims
                                were illegal in Calafornia. Cost a bundle to replace all the rims. Gary
                                in Arizona

                                On 2/6/2011 4:07 AM, BobP wrote:

                                > I seem to have a reply lost in the Yahoo laundry.
                                >
                                > The gist of it is, ignoring go-cart wheels, there doesn't appear to be
                                > a "split rim", "split ring" difference. The sites my search pulled up
                                > seem to say the "split rim" is the entire unit the "split ring" is the
                                > part of the rim that flies off and decapitates people.

                              • Ted Kroll
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 6, 2011
                                  Hi Bob, The split ring is only dangerous it U don't put a safety chain around the tire and wheel both when removing and installing the ring, as well to, while inflating the tire.
                                  It is certainly NOT a show stopper if U want and like a certain unit!
                                  Ted
                                  I seem to have a reply lost in the Yahoo laundry.

                                  The gist of it is, ignoring go-cart wheels, there doesn't appear to be a "split rim", "split ring" difference. The sites my search pulled up seem to say the "split rim" is the entire unit the "split ring" is the part of the rim that flies off and decapitates people.

                                  Anyway, I'm not bothering to look at units with other than "normal" rims. Why waste everybody's time? If the local truck tire shop convinces me I can get these things changed easily and pretty much anywhere, then maybe. The rims were one of the reasons I scrapped that old International years ago.

                                  The guy with the '78 Winnebago hasn't called me back so it looks like I have time.

                                  Thanks
                                  Bob

                                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                                  > Make sure you know the difference between Split-rim and Split-ring. Most of the
                                  > 70's RVs had split-ring. Most car tire chains won't work on split rings but
                                  > most truck tire garages will, they don't think anything of it.
                                  > JerryK
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • Craig McGuire
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 6, 2011
                                    "Split rims" and "Split ring" ARE 2 different types of wheels. The Split rim is actually split down the center of the wheel. My welder has these on it (an old Ford axle), my 57 International also had 2 of these on it. The split rim is the real dangerous one, but can be done safely if cleaned real well then chained when inflating.
                                    The Split Ring is the common wheel used in the 60's,early 70's. These are a quite safe wheel also if handled correctly. I always wire brush the ring and rim to make sure it will seat deeply in it's groove. Once it is on the wheel, wrap a chain around the wheel for a safety. Tap it with a 2# hammer, inflate to about 20#, then tap around it again. If seated all the way in, then inflate to desired pressure.
                                    These wheels are very safe if handled correctly, have been driven many millions of miles.
                                  • winchesterman50
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 6, 2011
                                      Hi Bob,
                                      I have a 78 Chieftain on a M400 chassis. Let me pass some info along:

                                      1. Winnebago typically put the current year home (ie 1978) on the previous year chassis (ie 1977). My 78 is this way.

                                      2. Dodge stopped using the split rims on the class A motor home chassis in 1973 (no split rim worry on a 78). For the M300 (RM300) after 1973 they used a 17.5" tubless bias-ply rim. Many place radial tires on them but they were not actually designed for radials. 17.5" tires are getting difficult to locate. On the M300 chassis (single caliper piston) some have placed 16" rims on them. The M400 chassis has dual calipers so the 16" rim will not fit. M500/M600 chassis uses 19.5" rims. Tires typically dry-rot before they wear out.

                                      3. Most M300 brake parts are available through NAPA. The trick for all parts is to purchase a service and parts book set. Use the P/N cross-ref (dodge to aftermarket) feature at NAPA. I have found most anything that way. 73-78 M300 used dual master-vac booster brakes (front disc-rear drum). Dodge went to hydroboost in 79 on the M300. M400 went to hydroboost in 75.

                                      4. There are a lot of people with a classic winnebago's. Google classic Winnebago.

                                      5. Gas mileage will not be great in te late 70's. Dodge just reduced the compression ratio on the 440 without any head redesign. Reduces the HP and torque. This results in many complaints of reduced power from 75 and later 440-3.

                                      Dave

                                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "BobP" <tvme33@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this might be my first post.
                                      >
                                      > Sometime before Sunday, I'll be looking at a Winnebago Brave on a Dodge chassis with the 440 engine. It is 23'long and has 68,000 miles.
                                      >
                                      > I've looked at more than a few Class C's and I know most of the general stuff to check. Is there anything special that is specific to this year, model, engine, or chassis I need to look over.
                                      >
                                      > Oh, a reminder or two of other stuff I might forget would not insult me. It is stored indoors so I won't be fighting snow just this blasted Ohio cold.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Bob

                                    • BobP
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 7, 2011
                                        Interesting. The rims on my International were what you're calling "split rings". These were always called "split rims" by the tire service places in and around RI, MA, and CT. I took my Metro off the road shortly after the local gas station got rid of their safety "cage" for inflating those rims.

                                        I was in construction and nails are just a fact of life. Other than flats, I never had a problem with the product. I did have a problem finding people to change them at the end. I'll check around but I really think the little corner garage in Pulaski, PA, Rogers, OH, or any other little town isn't going to fix one of these.

                                        The reason I eliminated Class A's from consideration is that normal garages are used to working on "vans" and a class C is just a van. "A's' are a different animal as far as service stations are concerned.

                                        Split rim/rings are likely out too simply due the PITA factor.

                                        Still waiting for a call back on the Winnebago. I've seen a few others advertised with the 318's or 360's. They're further away but maybe they'd be better. A guy with a '90 Ford and 460 answered my "wanted" ad. I might look at that one but as I correspond with the owner, more problems come out. "Newer roof" combined with some running lights not working kind of sounds like leaks that might not have been chased down. I hear of more problems with the 460 than the 440- particularly exhaust manifolds and even worse mileage.

                                        Again, thanks
                                        Bob

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 7, 2011
                                          Thanks. The parts availability for the M 400 Class A chassis is good to know. The M 300 is likely the same then.

                                          Most I've been looking at have less than common tire sizes but they're still around. I always check availability when I figure the value of a motorhome. I've been seeing mostly 16 1/2 rims on class C
                                          Chevys. They're $750 installed out the door for 6 of them locally using bias ply tires.

                                          Most places don't stock odd tires but will certainly change them if you provide the tire.

                                          I helped a guy change a couple of ball joints on a Ranger pickup at his house yesterday. COLD! Space for an air compressor is now mandatory. And a fair size generator is getting there. I think I'll ditch my 2 larger compressors for a lighter "hot dog" style. It should run and air hammer/chisel/wrench well enough for occasional work.

                                          Bob