Pilot on water heater blows out

  • lisarct
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 12:16 PM
      Does anyone else have a problem with their water heater pilot blowing out on windy days?

      I have a 1978 Dodge Jamboree Class C with a manual light pilot on my water heater. Y

      es it is extremely gusty out today, and last time I had this problem it was a similarly gusty day as well. In normal weather it runs fine.

      Is this normal or does it need repair?
    • Todd Barnard
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 12:27 PM
        If the pilot is a nice blue color, no yellow, and it appears "snappy" , not
        lazy, then it should keep going, If it has yellow or looks lazy , then it
        likely needs a proper cleaning. That means taking the orifice out and
        cleaning it with the right tool.

        If dirt is not the issue, then you might try bending the hinges slightly to
        create a gap at the end of the door.

        You can get outage if the main burner shutter is allowing too strong a
        flame, this lets the burner go out with a pop that will sometimes snuff the
        flame with it.

        Take care.

        On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM, lisarct <lisarct@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone else have a problem with their water heater pilot blowing out
        > on windy days?
        >
        > I have a 1978 Dodge Jamboree Class C with a manual light pilot on my water
        > heater. Y
        >
        > es it is extremely gusty out today, and last time I had this problem it was
        > a similarly gusty day as well. In normal weather it runs fine.
        >
        > Is this normal or does it need repair?

      • gmmullins4
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 1:33 PM
          very normal for almost every water heater out there. redwing

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "lisarct" <lisarct@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone else have a problem with their water heater pilot blowing out on windy days?
          >
          > I have a 1978 Dodge Jamboree Class C with a manual light pilot on my water heater. Y
          >
          > es it is extremely gusty out today, and last time I had this problem it was a similarly gusty day as well. In normal weather it runs fine.
          >
          > Is this normal or does it need repair?

        • wpmartin55
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2 7:34 AM
            Ours does the same. The vent allows the gusty air in. You can make a baffle of aluminum foil and put it on the windward side of the pilos light. I don't think it's a good idea to cover it completely.
            Cindy

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2 10:20 AM
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "wpmartin55" <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

              > Ours does the same. The vent allows the gusty air in. You can make a baffle of aluminum foil and put it on the windward side of the pilos light. I don't think it's a good idea to cover it completely.
              > Cindy

              Thanks everyone for the input on this, it's good to know that this is not necessarily an indicator of something being wrong. When the winds die down I will look into cleaning the pilot orifice and adjusting the flame.

              Creating an air-block such as with tin foil may help, but it would not be wise to fully block the opening since it acts both as an air intake and the exhaust vent.
            • Roger Phillips
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2 10:56 AM
                You might also check the tubing - there have been occasions of a wasp, spider, etc, building nests/webs inside some of the tubes, and stopping good air flow, making the pilot not "snappy", as was earlier stated.

                Happened on mine, can't remember all the symptoms, but DO remember that it would stay lit, then mysteriously go out.

                Roger

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2 10:58 AM
                  Thats a good point Roger , sometimes bugs can makee a web at the air hole
                  for the pilot and cause that too, narrow wire, or paper clips will clean it.

                  On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Roger Phillips <rcav8or@...>wrote:

                  > You might also check the tubing - there have been occasions of a wasp,
                  > spider, etc, building nests/webs inside some of the tubes, and stopping good
                  > air flow, making the pilot not "snappy", as was earlier stated.
                  >
                  > Happened on mine, can't remember all the symptoms, but DO remember that it
                  > would stay lit, then mysteriously go out.
                  >
                  > Roger
                  >
                  > --- On Wed, 2/2/11, lisarct <lisarct@... <lisarct%40yahoo.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: lisarct <lisarct@... <lisarct%40yahoo.com>>
                  > Subject: [classicrv] Re: Pilot on water heater blows out
                  > To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com <classicrv%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 10:20 AM
                  >

                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com <classicrv%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "wpmartin55" <wpmartin55@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Ours does the same. The vent allows the gusty air in. You can make a
                  > baffle of aluminum foil and put it on the windward side of the pilos light.
                  > I don't think it's a good idea to cover it completely.
                  >
                  > > Cindy
                  >

                  > Thanks everyone for the input on this, it's good to know that this is not
                  > necessarily an indicator of something being wrong. When the winds die down I
                  > will look into cleaning the pilot orifice and adjusting the flame.
                  >
                  > Creating an air-block such as with tin foil may help, but it would not be
                  > wise to fully block the opening since it acts both as an air intake and the
                  > exhaust vent.

                • Keith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2 11:26 AM
                    Just thought I'd tell you what I did with mine, a 76 brougham with the same issue.  I built a "shield" the width of the air intake opening, made it in a half moon shape so the ends are open to receive and expel air, this was made from a piece of galvanized sheet metal, the piece then slips over the screening which stays on the water heater when the door is opened, sticks out about 3" from the door when the access door is closed.  I used to have gusts of wind blow out my pilot at least a couple of times a week as living in KS you get plenty of wind exposure, but upon this mod I've not once had it happen.   Hard to describe but not at all hard to make if you can figure out what I have done.  hth

                    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

                    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." -- Sir Winston Churchill

                    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

                    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans." ~ Woody Allen

                    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

                  • wpmartin55
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3 7:51 AM
                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Keith <kengweiler@...> wrote:

                      > Just thought I'd tell you what I did with mine, a 76 brougham with the same issue.  I built a "shield" the width of the air intake opening, made it in a half moon shape so the ends are open to receive and expel air, this was made from a piece of galvanized sheet metal, the piece then slips over the screening which stays on the water heater when the door is opened, sticks out about 3" from the door when the access door is closed.  I used to have gusts of wind blow out my pilot at least a couple of times a week as living in KS you get plenty of wind exposure, but upon this mod I've not once had it happen.   Hard to describe but not at all hard to make if you can figure out what I >have done.  hth

                      Yeah, that's on the order of what I had in mind, only yours is more permanent. Do you have any pictures you can post?
                      Cindy