Re: [classicrv] Re: Low clearance POI data

  • Ted Kroll
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
      AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
      Ted
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
        Hey Ted,

        I'd prefer you didn't give Cindy crap for sharing that a database is available. I for one might like to have a redundant system for detecting low clearances. As soon as we on this group start criticizing one another for sharing info, those with the info the rest of us may want will stop sharing. I've left groups because people got nasty. Hey moderator, wanna chime in here?

        Bob
        Massillon Oh
        1973 Midas Mini

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

        > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
        > Ted

      • Lynnie Whitefield
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
          Seems to me the program would be helpful if doing a lot of traveling as has been previously posted. I know how inconvenient it is to have to back an RV out of situations like that.

          Lynnie

          I'd prefer you didn't give Cindy crap for sharing that a database is available. I for one might like to have a redundant system for detecting low clearances. As soon as we on this group start criticizing one another for sharing info, those with the info the rest of us may want will stop sharing. I've left groups because people got nasty. Hey moderator, wanna chime in here?

          Bob
          Massillon Oh
          1973 Midas Mini

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

          > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
          > Ted

        • JerryK
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
            I think you have pretty much covered it Bob... Don't shoot the messenger.
            And in my opinion the original message is tip on a bargain and not spam.
            Please keep the Camping and RV tips flowing folks.
            JerryK
            Mod.

            ________________________________
            I'd prefer you didn't give Cindy crap for sharing that a database is available.
            I for one might like to have a redundant system for detecting low clearances. As
            soon as we on this group start criticizing one another for sharing info, those
            with the info the rest of us may want will stop sharing. I've left groups
            because people got nasty. Hey moderator, wanna chime in here?

            Bob
            Massillon Oh
            1973 Midas Mini

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

            > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the
            >bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
            > Ted

          • wpmartin55
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
              You missed my point completely. Signs may only be a short distance prior to the bridge. This gives you "early warning" so that you can plan in advance to miss such a bridge completely, rather than get withing a short distance of it and have to detour. I don't have GPS, but I can see how this would be helpful in many circumstances.

              Has anyone used this or found it helpful?

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
                I did miss ur point Cindy, Sorry
                Ted
                You missed my point completely. Signs may only be a short distance prior to the bridge. This gives you "early warning" so that you can plan in advance to miss such a bridge completely, rather than get withing a short distance of it and have to detour. I don't have GPS, but I can see how this would be helpful in many circumstances.

                Has anyone used this or found it helpful?
                Cindy

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
                > Ted

              • leeanns24
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
                  It isn't spam. And your response borders on rude. Bridge signs are typically right before the bridge.

                  You can load the database onto your GPS so it warns you when the route you've chosen has a bridge too low. It also warns you when you've gone off track that you're approaching (you can set the distance) a bridge that's too low so you can take an alternate route. It is an invaluable tool - not just for smoothing out your own trip, but also to avoid screwing up someone else's when you're trying to turn around on a way-too-narrow road.

                  If you're not interested, simply ignore the messages and move on. Is that hard?

                  Leeann

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                  > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
                  > Ted
                • Ted Kroll
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
                    Hey Lose the "rude"! I didn't realize it was something the would interact with a GPS! I apologized to Cindy. I don't owe U one!
                    I understood it was just a list of low bridges etc:. There are sooo many scams out there now days and I felt this was one. I was wwwrrrong! Oh I hate saying that to someone who is yelling at me!!!!!
                    It is verrrrrry hard to ignore this message, but I can & will move on!
                    My name is TED KROLL

                    It isn't spam. And your response borders on rude. Bridge signs are typically right before the bridge.

                    You can load the database onto your GPS so it warns you when the route you've chosen has a bridge too low. It also warns you when you've gone off track that you're approaching (you can set the distance) a bridge that's too low so you can take an alternate route. It is an invaluable tool - not just for smoothing out your own trip, but also to avoid screwing up someone else's when you're trying to turn around on a way-too-narrow road.

                    If you're not interested, simply ignore the messages and move on. Is that hard?

                    Leeann

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                    > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
                    > Ted

                  • firstladygolly
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
                      I love my gps, it talks to me so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. I often travel alone and it's not safe to read a map while driving. Joyce

                      Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                      It isn't spam. And your response borders on rude. Bridge signs are typically right before the bridge.

                      You can load the database onto your GPS so it warns you when the route you've chosen has a bridge too low. It also warns you when you've gone off track that you're approaching (you can set the distance) a bridge that's too low so you can take an alternate route. It is an invaluable tool - not just for smoothing out your own trip, but also to avoid screwing up someone else's when you're trying to turn around on a way-too-narrow road.

                      If you're not interested, simply ignore the messages and move on. Is that hard?

                      Leeann

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                      > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
                      > Ted

                      Reply to sender | Reply to group

                    • JerryK
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
                        You're the man Ted and I thank you and admire your willingness to step up when
                        it would be so easy not to.

                        As for GPS, I wouldn't leave home, in the motorhome, without it.  In my
                        motorhome we have a small table between the driver and the co-pilot.  I have a
                        thin, flat screen monitor that's hooked up to the laptop that my wife uses.  The
                        laptop runs Delorme Street Atlas that shows up on both screens.  My wife can use
                        the laptop to control and adjust the program, while I can see the results on my
                        screen.  The bonus is, I can see the screen in broad daylight with the sun
                        shining in the windows.  I have downloaded all the state parks, rest stops,
                        Walmarts, Sams Clubs, Elks, Costcos, Cracker Barrels, COE Parks, National Parks,
                        Dumpstations and WiFi Parks.  I've been using Street Atlas for over ten years
                        now and highly recommend it.

                        JerryK
                        ClassicRV group moderator

                        PS: My motorhome is under 10 feet tall so I don't worry about low-clearance too
                        much.

                        ________________________________

                        It isn't spam. And your response borders on rude. Bridge signs are typically
                        right before the bridge.

                        You can load the database onto your GPS so it warns you when the route you've
                        chosen has a bridge too low. It also warns you when you've gone off track that
                        you're approaching (you can set the distance) a bridge that's too low so you can
                        take an alternate route. It is an invaluable tool - not just for smoothing out
                        your own trip, but also to avoid screwing up someone else's when you're trying
                        to turn around on a way-too-narrow road.

                        If you're not interested, simply ignore the messages and move on. Is that hard?

                        Leeann

                        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                        > AND your gonna pay more attention to this software then U would pay to the
                        >bridge signs? Come-on!!! This is spam! Right?
                        > Ted

                      • Warren
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 14, 2011
                          Having a GPS with a POI for low bridges could prevent things like this from
                          happening
                          The classic can opener here. http://11foot8.com/
                          If you view all the videos. About 1 minute or so into one you will see a
                          5th wheel RV get their roof AC removed.

                          And as yours, my trailer is under 10 feet so I don't have to worry to much
                          about low bridges.
                          1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                          On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                          > You're the man Ted and I thank you and admire your willingness to step up
                          > when
                          > it would be so easy not to.
                          >
                          > As for GPS, I wouldn't leave home, in the motorhome, without it. In my
                          > motorhome we have a small table between the driver and the co-pilot. I
                          > have a
                          > thin, flat screen monitor that's hooked up to the laptop that my wife
                          > uses. The
                          > laptop runs Delorme Street Atlas that shows up on both screens. My wife
                          > can use
                          > the laptop to control and adjust the program, while I can see the results
                          > on my
                          > screen. The bonus is, I can see the screen in broad daylight with the sun
                          > shining in the windows. I have downloaded all the state parks, rest stops,
                          >
                          > Walmarts, Sams Clubs, Elks, Costcos, Cracker Barrels, COE Parks, National
                          > Parks,
                          > Dumpstations and WiFi Parks. I've been using Street Atlas for over ten
                          > years
                          > now and highly recommend it.
                          >
                          > JerryK
                          > ClassicRV group moderator
                          >
                          > PS: My motorhome is under 10 feet tall so I don't worry about low-clearance
                          > too
                          > much.

                        • wpmartin55
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 14, 2011
                            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

                            > I did miss ur point Cindy, Sorry
                            > Ted

                            No problem. I figured you either didn't understand what it was, or had never been in a situation where one would be helpful. We don't have an rv yet, but I can see where truck drivers would find this invaluable.
                            Let's move on.

                            Cindy
                          • Jon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
                              Hi everyone,

                              The low clearance POI database half price deal from http://www.lowclearances.com
                              is apparently coming to an end in the next few days so get in there quick.

                              Thought I'd share the bad news.