Battery advice

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi all. I have a new marine deep-cycle battery in my 1973 Holiday trailer, works fine. First question: Assuming the original on-board 'smart' charger is working properly, as I think it is, should I leave the trailer plugged in continuously through the winter? This has been renovated to be an emergency unit, so I would prefer that it's ready to go at all times.

      Second question- I have come by a set of four 12-volt, 75 AHR deep cycle batteries from the 2003 era- lightly used as a backup bank and unused for a year or so. I am charging them to see if they test ok. If they do (or one or two do) what is you collective expertise on paralleling a couple more of these onto the current battery? I'm ok with wiring them together to equalize the load/charge. My question is should I bother adding them? I read the warnings about unequal batteries, what have you experienced with this?

      Thanks and best wishes for your New Year!
    • gmmullins4
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
        well thats should work if it is one of the newer style converter/chargers like a inttellictec which every once in a while throws a higher charge to get rid of sulfation, you would still need to watch the water in the batteries tho.

        as far as those 2003 batteries go, they are pretty much past their prime, i am sure you will find them pretty sulfated and quite possibly the lead panels in them eaten up after this long, charge or not. i sure wouldn't hook them up along with that new battery they would most likely ruin it. and then you would be out some bucks you paid. redwing

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <broadways@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. I have a new marine deep-cycle battery in my 1973 Holiday trailer, works fine. First question: Assuming the original on-board 'smart' charger is working properly, as I think it is, should I leave the trailer plugged in continuously through the winter? This has been renovated to be an emergency unit, so I would prefer that it's ready to go at all times.
        >
        > Second question- I have come by a set of four 12-volt, 75 AHR deep cycle batteries from the 2003 era- lightly used as a backup bank and unused for a year or so. I am charging them to see if they test ok. If they do (or one or two do) what is you collective expertise on paralleling a couple more of these onto the current battery? I'm ok with wiring them together to equalize the load/charge. My question is should I bother adding them? I read the warnings about unequal batteries, what have you experienced with this?
        >
        > Thanks and best wishes for your New Year!

      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          I'm no expert, but...
          It is my understanding that batteries in parallel will be reduced to the weakest one. The best bet is two sixes in series for the most AH. If you have no six volt batteries, and need to use the 12's, use one at a time and keep a fresh standby from your bat stash.
          ChuckWarner

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <broadways@...> wrote:

          > Hi all. I have a new marine deep-cycle battery in my 1973 Holiday trailer, works fine. First question: Assuming the original on-board 'smart' charger is working properly, as I think it is, should I leave the trailer plugged in continuously through the winter? This has been renovated to be an emergency unit, so I would prefer that it's ready to go at all times.
          >
          > Second question- I have come by a set of four 12-volt, 75 AHR deep cycle batteries from the 2003 era- lightly used as a backup bank and unused for a year or so. I am charging them to see if they test ok. If they do (or one or two do) what is you collective expertise on paralleling a couple more of these onto the current battery? I'm ok with wiring them together to equalize the load/charge. My question is should I bother adding them? I read the warnings about unequal batteries, what have you experienced with this?
          >
          > Thanks and best wishes for your New Year!

        • Ned B
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
            On 01/01/2011 06:27 AM, Stan wrote:
            > Assuming the original on-board 'smart' charger is working properly, as I think it is,
            > should I leave the trailer plugged in continuously through the winter?

            Yes, but the maintenence charge depends on the type of battery. Does
            your smart charger distinguish between different types?

            > Second question- I have come by a set of four 12-volt, 75 AHR deep
            > cycle batteries from the 2003 era- lightly used as a backup bank
            > and unused for a year or so. I am charging them to see if
            > they test ok.
            > If they do (or one or two do) what is you collective expertise on
            > paralleling a couple more of these onto the current battery?

            Charge 'em up and make sure the electrolyte level is correct in each
            cell (it rises when accepting a charge) , let 'em rest 12 hours, take a
            reading of each cell (measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte in
            each cell), and match the batteries up according to how well they reach
            reach the full charge state.

            Why not use them in a second battery bank, isolated from your really
            good battery? Just use and charge them separately from your good
            battery. If the wieght and space of extra batts isn't an issue, you
            might easily end up with considerably more AH capacity, a real good
            thing to have for pumping water, using radios, running indoor/outdoor
            lights, etc, especially if an emergency runs longer than a basic storm
            outage at your local power utility. Sheesh, why don't they run the wires
            underground, safe from falling trees, anyway? But, that's the power grid
            infrastructure problem, and I imagine most of us are more interested in
            getting off the grid. More batteries helps you do that.

            Ned Bedinger
            1983 Suncrest 24', House bank:solar-fed 4 x 100 AH 6V Trojan deep cycle
          • Warren
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
              As you say, assuming all is working properly.
              leaving your RV plugged in will not hurt it. If it is a serviceable battery,
              watch the water levels.
              If it is a maintenance free battery, you should be fine but if you can check
              the water levels. Do so.

              As for the old batteries.
              Even if they test good. I would not connect them with the new battery except
              in an life emergency situation.
              And even so, I would remove the new battery once drained and put the old
              ones in a bank.

              You can wire it so you have a relay/switch to change from one battery to the
              older bank and back allowing them to not be connected together.

              1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
                Excellent suggestion. If all the older batteries are no longer equal. Yes,
                connecting them in parallel will drain one to compensate for another not
                being up to par. And being your trailer is setup for emergency use. That
                will get you the max battery usage by not connecting them up all at once but
                change them as they run down and recharge them later.

                1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Chuck <warnerphoto@...> wrote:

                > I'm no expert, but...
                > It is my understanding that batteries in parallel will be reduced to the
                > weakest one. The best bet is two sixes in series for the most AH. If you
                > have no six volt batteries, and need to use the 12's, use one at a time and
                > keep a fresh standby from your bat stash.
                > ChuckWarner

              • mcolie
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Stan,

                  Let's start with the original 1973 "smart" charger. Even if it is working as properly as it can, if it is as described it is probably junk. No offence intended here, but there have been a few developments in battery charging in the last 35+ years.

                  If it is newer than that and truly an intelligent converter charger, then leaving shore power on the system indefinitely will cause no harm. If it is not a Progressive Dynamics or Iota unit, you best find out from someone just how good it is. If it is the quality of those two, then you can do as you hope.

                  As to the other collection of batteries, be very careful what you do. If you need a lot of battery power, these may not be the best choice as paralleling batteries never works out as well as people hope. The best you can hope for is a much reduced capacity from the set. This is, however, at some risk. Even if the batteries came off the assembly line in order, they are now enough different that they may/will not charge effectively in parallel and if one should fail a cell, the others will pour power into that battery and something will have to give. Never assemble a parallel bank without fuses for each battery in the bank.

                  I could go on at some length, but I have to feed grandchildren again.

                  Matt